Not receiving some emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigRoo

Outlook version
Email Account
IMAP
Hi guys and girls,

Can someone help me with the following issue please.

I set up a new email account a couple of months ago which is shared between myself and a business partner. My computer at my place and his at his place.

We were both using POP accounts and also set up on his iphone and my android phone.

He was initially using a mail program on mozilla and said that emails were disappearing after a few days.

He got a copy of Office 2007 (same as mine) and set up Outlook with the business email address.

Ever since this time i have been having problems not getting emails although they have been going to him and also going to webmail server.

I rang my ISP who told me to change my email account type to IMAP so i deleted the account and set up again with IMAP.

Today it started again where i am getting some emails and not others.

Can anyone tell me why he would be getting all emails and me getting only some? I thought that maybe one of the phone devices was pulling them off the server and not allowing to be sent to me.

Also another issue is that i cannot delete any email that comes to me through the IMAP account. If i try and delete anything i get a message that says : "The folder 'inbox' cannot be selected. This may be because of a limitation of your IMAP server or the folder may have been deleted or moved."

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Roo

Step 1 in troubleshooting this problem: turn of the phones or disable the accounts on the phones. We seem to see a lot of problems like this with iphone users and I'm not sure why - I can't get my ipad to delete anything from the server. <g>

Are you trying to delete the folder or the messages in the folder? With IMAP accounts, when you delete an item it just marks it for deletion and its deleted when you purge the folder.

Also, the messages you aren't able to download are still on the server? Login using web access to check. If you delete mail on a device, it can sync back to the server - especially when you use IMAP. (With POP3, you download a copy of the message- IMAP keeps the account on the computer in sync with the server.)

Outlook (along with most pop clients) has a setting to leave mail on the server and delete it when it's deleted from outlook. At this time, I would not let a mail client delete from the server.

Step 1 in troubleshooting this problem: turn of the phones or disable the accounts on the phones. We seem to see a lot of problems like this with iphone users and I'm not sure why - I can't get my ipad to delete anything from the server. <g
Are you trying to delete the folder or the messages in the folder? With IMAP accounts, when you delete an item it just marks it for deletion and its deleted when you purge the folder.

Also, the messages you aren't able to download are still on the server? Login using web access to check. If you delete mail on a device, it can sync back to the server - especially when you use IMAP. (With POP3, you download a copy of the message- IMAP keeps the account on the computer in sync with the server.)

Outlook (along with most pop clients) has a setting to leave mail on the server and delete it when it's deleted from outlook. At this time, I would not let a mail client delete from the server.

Hi Diane,

Thanks for the reply.

I cant delete any messages from the inbox or from any folder on the IMAP account. I was able to use the delete function a couple of times and this would put a line through that particular email, but now pressing delete wont do anything other than display the error message i mentioned in my original post. The messages are still on the webmail server but it might take 4 or 5 hours to come to my outlook account or they may not come at all.

All other email accounts under POP3 work perfectly.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.