Outlook 2010 - Default PST location

Status
Not open for further replies.

corymk

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I support lots of networks. Typically we setup the PST to be on the "personal" shared network drive so it can be stored on the server but accessed locally. This also allows for backups if the users close Outlook at night.

In Outlook 2010, I have run into issues with storing the PST files on the network. I have run into lots of little issues that cause me to remove and re-add the accounts into the client causing it to re-download all of the last 21 days of emails (or whatever it is setup as) and that is rather annoying.

In Outlook 2010, I have noted that on Windows 7, you cannot use Offline Folders and keep the PST inside of that folder. This will create all kinds of problems. Now in XP, I have the PST stored on the network and still run into issues at times with Outlook 2010.

Recently, the Outlook 2010 client appears to lose the location of the file. This recent one was when there were internal inconsistencies in the file that running the ScanPST fixed. After doing so, I cannot get the "Change Folder" button at the bottom of the "E-mail" tab in the Account Settings to show up with any values. I can open up the "Change Folder" and select the Inbox under the only PST but it never shows up in the description down below. If I remove the account and re-add the account in picking the exact location of the PST, everything works but I don't want to keep removing and re-adding accounts in.

On the other hand, in Outlook 2003 and Outlook 2007 I used to move the PST without any problems. If the PST were moved in Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007, it would hesitate and say where is the file and you browse and find it and everything is back to normal. If you choose to move the PST location in Outlook 2010, I have not had much luck (if at all) with keeping the account in there and not removing it to be re-added back in to take into consideration for the new location of the PST file.

Any insight on some of the changes in Outlook 2010 would be wonderful.

Thanks,

Cory

That I have started to realize - yeah. What about when using Roaming Profiles on a workstation like Windows XP connected to Windows Server 2003? I have around 20 machines that were all configured this way.

What do you recommend for this because the PST is locally stored in the profile and this then is stored on the network?

By default, pst files were not stored in the roaming folder, they are in the local app data folder path. That of course, makes a mess of the profile if the user logs into a second computer as the pst is not local but it prevented problems for the corps using roaming profiles.

Outlook 2010 changes this behavior and puts the pst file in My Documents but Roaming profiles have fallen out of favor so fewer people are affected by it.

My recommendation: whenever possible, avoid pst files. Obviously you can't avoid if with pop3 or imap accounts, but if you use Exchange, use the mailbox.

Yes, anytime we use Exchange we have not touched any PST files except for offline backups.

I was kinda wondering if roaming profiles were being phased out. I have worked with cleaning up a few networks that have been previously setup this way and it is just frustrating from some aspects to deal with roaming profiles.

I will take a good note of this and see what I can do for storing PST's local when possible. The only big problems then is if they are local and the hard drive fails, you lose everything. I will see what the other options are in this matter.

Thanks for the insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
G Can't open .pst. Message could not access default folder (Outlook 2010 (.pst). Before that was backi Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 2010 Email Not Default Email Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010 trying to default Data file to outlook.com calendar Using Outlook 6
K Change the default Archive location via GPO in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Make Default Outlook 2010 Client Mail Using Outlook 1
S How to set Company as default "File As" in Contacts for Outlook 2010 ? Using Outlook 1
S change default contact list in Outlook 2010 to "contacts" rather than "global" Exchange Server Administration 1
B MS Office 2010: Word email merge not selecting default Outlook account Using Outlook 1
J Move PST /changing default location in Outlook 2007 or 2010 64b on W7 64bit Using Outlook 2
N Default IMAP account not working after SP1 for Outlook 2010 installed Using Outlook 6
L Outlook 2010 Default Calendar Using Outlook 2
J How To Change Default View of Tabs in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
F Outlook 2010 - Default font color keeps changing frim the one I set. Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 default font Using Outlook 9
S Adding a recipient's column to Sent folder in Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Can emails from Gmail be deleted when they are downloaded to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
L Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C What folders are needed when reinstalling Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Gmail in Outlook 2010 preview issue Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 Help setting up Gmail account in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
F Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 and GMail Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2007 vs. Outlook 2010 -- ToDo Bar Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0
L What are the risks of opening an Outlook 2016 .pst file in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
S Unable to remove rule outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2010 Flag blocked for Safe Senders List???? Using Outlook 7
dweller Outlook 2010 Rule Ignores VBA Script Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Mark Foley Unable to subscribe to published calendar in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
K Maximum Categorize Shortcuts In Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
RBLampert Outlook 2010 no longer (?) shrinks large images Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010 will not send nor receive Using Outlook 4
U Outlook 2010 'freezes' before moving emails Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2010 trusted emails going to spam folder Using Outlook 18
E Outlook 2010 Subject sort uses Thread-Topic for grouping Using Outlook 2
King Mustard Maximum Categorize shortcuts in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 1