OL 2010 Additional and Seperate Contacts/Address books.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapper

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi.

I have an address book that contains my personal contacts. I am a Team Captain with 70 team members, we compete against 30 other clubs each with contacts relating to that club that I would like to keep separate.

I would like to keep my personal contacts 'Personal' and have a separate address book for my 'team members' and another for the competitors 'clubs' information, like Comp Secretary and their Team Captain etc.. 30 clubs say 3 contacts per club that's 90 contacts add my team of 70 = 160, add my personal contacts and the list is around 250 contacts to sort through.

Address book 1 'Personal'

Address book 2 'Team'

Address book 3 'Clubs'

I could then print up address books without my personal contacts included.

Is this is possible and if so how?

Thanks

Trapper

The easiest way to is to use Separate contacts folders for each address book - enable the contacts as an address book if you need to see them when you click To.

Assigning Categories to each contact and using just one contacts folder is easier to manage, especially if contacts belong in multiple categories, and you can filter by category to print, but they won't be in separate address book when you click the To button. If you use Exchange and share the contacts, these contacts are harder to hide too. (marking private is the only option).

The easiest way to is to use Separate contacts folders for each address book - enable the contacts as an address book if you need to see them when you click To.

Assigning Categories to each contact and using just one contacts folder is easier to manage, especially if contacts belong in multiple categories, and you can filter by category to print, but they won't be in separate address book when you click the To button. If you use Exchange and share the contacts, these contacts are harder to hide too. (marking private is the only option).

Thanks for the fast reply Diane. Would you please expand on the 'use Separate contacts folders for each address book' I assume that I can have more than one address book as you have mentioned 'each' but cannot seem to find how to do this. IF I can use separate address books then when I send an email and use the 'To:' button would I be able to choose the address book and then open it to find the contacts I need? I do not use Exchange.

Regards

Trapper

Right click on your contacts folder [*], choose New folder. Type a name and you are good to go. Right click on the new folder and choose Properties, Outlook Address book and verify it is enabled as an address book.

I have a video here - Create contact lists in Outlook - YouTube - if you need it.

* You can do this on any folder but will need to remember to choose the folder type and select where you want the folder.

Hi Diane.

Brilliant, the YouTube link was very helpful. I will now go away and play :)

Trapper

Back so soon?

I do not have a Contacts folder in my folder list so making a sub folder in it is a bit difficult!

I can create a new folder called Contacts but would need to copy my contacts from my address book to it' but I do not know where it is or how to copy it. I tried a 'Contact Group' but this of course meant sending to all 70 members and not those individuals I needed to contact of the 70.

I guess I need to create a Contacts folder and add sub folders, then when I compose a new email will the 'To:' button take me to my new Contacts folder and sub folders or my original Address Book?

regards

Trapper

Outlook always creates a Contacts folder by default, so you should have one somewhere.

Where is your address book? Outlook no longer supports a PAB, leaving contacts or LDAP for addresses.

I have sort of found 'Contacts'.

At the bottom my Navigation Pane there is a group of icons, to the right of which is an arrow. This arrow gives access to show more/fewer buttons, clicking more brings up more buttons in the pane above. These buttons are below my normal folders and start with Calender/Contacts/Journal etc. The Contacts button is NOT a folder just a card type button and selecting this brings into view the contacts I have so far listed in my address book. (Just found Ctrl+3 works).

On checking YouTube videos relating to Outlook they all show a Contacts Folder in the Navigation Pane but my mine does not.

My address books properties are Target "C:\Program Files (x86) Windows Mail\WAB.EXE"" Start in "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Works\"

I cannot find a Folder named Contacts.

I am using Win 7 64bit. OS.

The buttons are for the Navigation pane - if you make the pane wider or pull the button bar up, you should see the contacts button all the time. Or you can press Ctrl+3 to switch to the Contacts pane. (Ctrl+6 shows the entire folder list.)

The contacts pane should have at least one contacts folder - you can add more then drag between folders.

Your contacts pane should look something like this - you may not have the views list, but should have at least one folder at the top of the pane.

contacts-pane.png

Thanks for the help, I hope I have uploaded a snippet of my Outlook Pane which should be shown here. As you will see there is no Contacts folder at all. I can of course create one and if I do how do I transfer my contacts to it?

Attachments

• Outlook Pane.JPG
    Outlook Pane.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 477
Modern technology, old brain!

I was looking for a Contacts Folder in the upper sections as shown in most Outlook Panes along with all the other orange/yellow folders. I did not appreciate the lower set were also 'Folders' and could have sub folders added to them.

There is a lot to learn and I have already found that it's easy to screw things up if you don't know what your doing, I would rather ask a question than risk a re-install.

Regards

Trapper

I can guarantee you one thing: any mistake/assumption you make is not "just you" - there are many others that have made the same mistake. And half reinstalled because they thought it was a problem on their end...

I could have solved it in one message without the wild goose chase had i seen the screenshot earlier, but probably 80% of the questions can be answered without seeing a screenshot, so i don't encourage screenshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.