Status
Not open for further replies.

mattvanleuten

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hello,

I want to know if it's possible to search a list of outlook items by categories that aren't in the master category list.

Thanks.

are you looking for the categories that aren't in the list or do you know the category you want to find? instant search for categories:(category_name) should work if you know the category name. I've never tried it though... off to do that next. :) (instant search finds categories as long as you know the category name...)

Ha... why on earth didn't I try that? I was trying to search it using the categories field which only allows the user to select from the list of master categories but just typing the name in the instant search field works fine.

Thanks for the help. Thanks too for all of your other replies to forum post... very helpful answers!

Matt.

It's not like it's come up before. After i suggested it, I thought maybe it wouldn't work and had to try it just to be sure. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
P How to add a column named categories when searching in Outlook Using Outlook 0
P Searching By Contact Categories Using Outlook 0
M Short term workaround for when Outlook searching stopped functioning Using Outlook 0
V vBA for searching a cell's contents in Outlook and retrieving the subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
geoffnoakes Outlook 2016 Searching based on CreationTime Using Outlook 3
P Searching tasks that are archived Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 365 Searching all shared calendars Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
O Searching for Custom Flags Using Outlook 3
B Searching for a Add-In Using Outlook 3
J Searching message folder in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 5
R Problem with searching public folders Exchange 2013/16 Exchange Server Administration 2
C Outlook 2016: Searching in all (+public) folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
Diane Poremsky Searching for Outlook Items in Windows Using Outlook 0
M Searching multiple folders Using Outlook 6
W Searching Flagged Email Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
E Searching a Shared Outlook Mailbox from the start menu? Using Outlook 4
Rijotech Fast searching from:name and date Using Outlook 3
S Searching contacts across GAL and local address book at same time Using Outlook 1
A Searching for text in Contact notes Using Outlook 2
B Searching OWA Additional Mailbox - in which Secondary folder is the email? Using Outlook 1
R searching a not function Using Outlook 2
R Searching emails sent/recieved on a specific date. Using Outlook 2
M Searching Outllook 2010 shared contacts from Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
G CTRL-E is not searching I-cloud contacts Using Outlook 2
M Jolly characters in Outlook 2007 searching Using Outlook 3
E Does Outlook 2010 support searching multiple .pst files simultaneously? Using Outlook 0
D searching Outlook 2010 Calendar Using Outlook 1
X outlook 2007 error when searching Using Outlook 7
T searching for attachments that have a certain "text" in the name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Searching for Data in a custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V VBA Categories unrelated to visible calendar and Visual appointment Categories Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Z Outlook 365 Automatically assign categories to incoming mail in a shared folder Round Robin Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Folder Pane Colour Categories Using Outlook 6
Ken Pascoe Outlook Categories Quick List Using Outlook 0
R Assign Categories "Round Robin" style but in a shared mailbox but on specific emails only Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
O Calendar - appointment templates and categories Using Outlook 1
T Increasing the number of items that appear on the Categories list Using Outlook 2
Y Outlook 2013 Stop Outlook from automatically assigning categories to Tasks Using Outlook 0
D Assign categories to outgoing emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Z How to show concatenated categories in list task view? Using Outlook 2
D Importing Outlook Categories from another domain (Exchange 2016/Outlook 2016) Using Outlook 4
S Conditional formatting problem with "is not empty" and categories Using Outlook 2
A Outlook macro to create search folder with mail categories as criteria Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P how to remove unwanted PST file default categories assigned to many calendar entries Using Outlook 7
P Import Categories from Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 8
A Outlook reverse categories Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Mark Foley Color Categories on IMAP mail lost when installing new Windows 7 workstation Using Outlook 12
B VBA Macro for assigning multiple Categories to an email in my Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Task Categories Using Outlook 2
I categories for outgoing email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7