Outlook 2010, missing emails

woteva

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I know this subject gets covered a lot, and I've spent quite some time searching for threads on my exact issue, to no avail. So forgive me if this has indeed been already covered elsewhere, but I could not find anything.

I recently upgraded from Outlook 2003 to 2010 x64. Followed the instructions on importing the old pst files, everything seemed to work fine. I'm using a POP account.

I then tried to import some other older pst files into the new ost file, and most of them worked ok. I selected the option to preserve the current folder paths, and it all appeared to be fine except for just 2 folders, that never showed up after the import.

However, these 2 folders appeared to be imported ok, because the window showing the progress bar completed just like it had for all the others, BUT the folders don't show up in the list like all the other ones did. BUT when I search for emails that i know are in these folders, they appear, listed under the mailbox.

I've run through carefully the View Settings menus and filters are all set to off in all folders.

I've got a folder labelled "inbox" under my mailbox where mail is delivered to. If I search in this folder, the emails don't appear in the results, but only when I reselect the hyper link that says "try searching again in all outlook items". The results are then displayed with the option "arrange by folder" and appear under the folder that is labeled with the name of my mailbox. So the emails are there, but I can't see them any other way.

I'm sure this is a simple thing, please someone put me out of my misery.

oh, I also ran scanpst to see if there were issues, and although it did tell me that it fixed some errors, my problem didn't go away.

Thanks for any help.

J

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Find one of the missing messages then use the method at http://www.outlook-tips.net/how-to/find-folder-path-in-mailbox/ to see where it is in your pst file. If you know the folder name but can't find a 'missing' message, follow the link to Michael Bauer's VBA macro - it will find the folder.

I'm not sure why you can't see the folders - I assume you've looked using the Folder list?

woteva

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Find one of the missing messages then use the method at http://www.outlook-tips.net/how-to/find-folder-path-in-mailbox/ to see where it is in your pst file. If you know the folder name but can't find a 'missing' message, follow the link to Michael Bauer's VBA macro - it will find the folder.

I'm not sure why you can't see the folders - I assume you've looked using the Folder list?
Thanks for your response, appreciate it.

I followed your instructions (I think), found one of the missing messages by using the search bar at the top of the column of emails as normal, opened advanced search using CTRL-SHIFT-F, selected the browse button which only had my "inbox" ticked. No other folder was ticked, and the inbox is definitely not where the missing emails are. It's only when I select browse again, and tick the main mailbox (of which inbox is a sub folder of) that the emails appear in the search results. By the main mailbox, (probalby the wrong term) I'm talking about the actual name of the account, that sits at the very top of the left hand column, ie named after my email address. Pretty sure I'm not explaining that clearly probably.

I'm now trying to get the macro working that you suggested, am just googling how to actually run it....

But it's pretty weird that the emails appear in the mailbox itself, but not actually in any folder.

woteva

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Just something else I've noticed. If I got to info-mailbox cleanup-view mailbox size, the size of the mailbox without subfolders is very large, ie there is a lot of email in there that doesn't appear in any of the subfolders (which is all visable). Clearly I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here, or somehow when I imported the other pst files I must have used a wrong setting or something.

The trick I seem to be missing is how to display the mail that appears in the mailbox (not in the subfolders!). Sounds simple.

woteva

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I've got the macro working, and it just tells me the folder is the main mailbox, which already I knew from the search results.

Question seem to be then, how do I display emails that are in the main mailbox? This sounds like a ridiculous question, but when I click on it, this is what i get:outlook.png