This Computer Only Folders in IMAP Accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Robert Jory

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have a few IMAP email accounts and sometimes when I create a folder under the Inbox for an IMAP account, it says (This computer only) after it. How I crate a folder is: I click on the Inbox first to highlight it. Then right click and select new folder, them enter the name. The name appears and then a few seconds after (This computer only ) appears. I need to have folders on my mail server so I can access them from any computer.

This means that the folder didn't upload to the server. It looks like the server doesn't support it, or you need to create it in a different location. Are you creating a subfolder of the inbox? Try making it at the same level... or vice versa. If it fails, you'll need to make the folders online, using web access.

The folders are sub folders and sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Maybe there is a connection problem sometimes or it is taking too long to communicate so it flags it as local only.

It could be a communication problem, because if it works for one folder, it should always work.

I have the same issue in 2013. When i create a new Subfolder, say Test123, whether directly under Inbox or under another folder, in Outlook 2013, the name will change after a few seconds to Test123 (This Computer Only) and not sync with my Charter.net IMAP Server. Which also affects my Phone and Tablet email folders.
I have done the Inbox as root thing, which completely loses all my personal subfolders(BTW), and when i look at IMAP Subscribed Folders, the newly created folders are not there. I did create a .pst data file for my Calendar and Contacts, and that works fine.

It sounds like the server is not giving Outlook 'write permission' to create folders. If so, you'll need to create the folders online.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Moving folders from outlook 2010 to a new computer with outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
Z Outlook 2007 move folders from one computer to another Using Outlook 1
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
D VBA - unable to set rule condition 'on this computer only' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
F Outlook 2019 Outlook 2019 Add and Sync to New computer Comcast server Using Outlook 2
ill13 Prepend the user's computer name to the subject. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Commodore Getting rid of "This computer only" Using Outlook 4
Commodore iTunes sync on a new computer - any issues to be expected? Using Outlook 9
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8
GregS Outlook 2016 Move Outlook to new computer? Using Outlook 4
M Sync 'On my computer' emails Using Outlook 1
G Cannot Move Autocomplete File to New Computer Using Outlook 15
R Outlook 2010 How do you export 2 email Accounts' 2010 Inbox Files to new computer (2019)? Using Outlook 0
M Transfer To New Computer - Lost Some Outlook Functionality Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2016 Migrate 'On My Computer' (local storage) Calendar from Mac Outlook to Exchange Account Using Outlook 5
G Outlook 2016 sync contacts directly between phone and computer using outlook 2016 Using Outlook 0
N Two .pst files on one computer both with contacts? Using Outlook 9
Rupert Dragwater Sync Issues (This Computer Only) Using Outlook 8
R Outlook loads when the computer boots Using Outlook 1
M Following a refresh of computer (win8.0) conflicting oulook accounts Using Outlook 2
N Outlook 2010 on re-imaged computer missing calendar/contacts Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Moving Outlook to a New Computer Using Outlook 0
P Newly created IMAP subfolders not showing up on email clients away from computer. Using Outlook 3
J Gmail host and Outlook on two computer Using Outlook 2
iwshim Transfering mail from the outbox to another computer Using Outlook 0
H How-To recover email from Computer Crash Using Outlook 2
M Missing Drafts (Drafts - This Computer Only) Outlook.com Using Outlook 1
W Outlook BSOD (my oldest computer) Using Outlook 5
C Getting back previous computer owner Outlook email Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
E Moving autoarchive settings to new computer (Outlook 2007) Using Outlook 1
A Transfering Outlook 2010 data to new computer with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
D (This computer only) ...imap ... two accounts Using Outlook 8
U Creating a (This computer only) folder within an IMAP account directory Using Outlook 1
J Just installed Outlook 2010 on computer and user is getting a 0x80004005 error Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
S Recover Autocomplete After Computer Failure Re-install Using Outlook 3
C Newb Q: Outlook 2013 Lost Contacts (this computer only) Using Outlook 4
R New computer, OL2010 unable to display shared calendar appointments Exchange Server Administration 3
B Trying to get old emails from a not working computer but having trouble. Using Outlook 6
J Contacts (this computer only) Folder Using Outlook 1
D Deleting internet calendar on one computer removes it from all computers Using Outlook 2
D Unable to transfer rules from one Outlook computer to another Using Outlook 5
S Cannot Find Shared Database on Remote Computer BCM (Business Contact Manager) 13
A I have a roaming profile and when I delete emails from one computer Using Outlook 1
J Reminders dismissed on one computer re-appear on Outlook on second computer Using Outlook 1
0 Outlook 2010 causes computer to lose connection when opening and Send/Receive Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 14
Commodore Importing RSS on another computer (and feed locations) Using Outlook 8
B Outlook.exe expands to 1.4 mb and causes eratic computer behavior Using Outlook 1
O synchronising a computer to an old (IMAP)mail account Using Outlook 2