1. Here's a thread that needs an answer: address book "when sending email" bug?
    Dismiss Notice

Cannot Find Shared Database on Remote Computer

Discussion in 'BCM (Business Contact Manager)' started by SMH, Mar 2, 2013.

1. SMH

SMH

This is my first post. I have performed exhaustive searches of both the internet and this forum but am still at a loss. I have the database MSSmallBusiness on my laptop. I installed BCM on my desktop PC today and updated to the same version as on the laptop. When i try to connect to the laptop database remotely from BCM on the PC, I receive the following error message:

The computer, SMH-LAPTOP does not contain any shared Business Contact manager databases. Please confirm that a shared Business Contact manager database is stored on he computer

I have followed all of the troubleshooting suggestions with no success. The database is shared properly and all firewall settings are configured for sharing. I previously accessed the same database from a different PC several years ago. Here is my current setup:

PC

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Outlook 2010 32-bit

BCM for Outlook 2010 32-bit

Laptop

Windows Vista Business 32-bit

Outlook 2010 32-bit

BCM for Outlook 2010 32-bit

I also uninstalled and reinstalled BCM on the laptop.

Thank you for any and all assistance!

Steve

2. wallisellener

wallisellener

Were you able to solve the problem?

3. SMH

SMH

I have not received any suggestions and have not resolved the problem.

4. Diane Poremsky

Diane Poremsky

5. SMH

SMH

I have followed all of the instructions in the articles above and am using Windows Firewall. Both computers use the same username and password and can see each other and their files on the network.

6. crazyboy

crazyboy

Did you ever find a solution for this?

7. crazyboy

crazyboy

Although i coud not fix the issue, ended up reformatting the server to get BCM working, for those facing the same issue, uninstalling KB3213986 seems to fix the problem. I believe new security measures were implemented with the update which prevents from BCM users from authenticating with any other user account then local administrator.

8. crazyboy

crazyboy

And KB3200970 had to be uninstalled too..

9. crazyboy

crazyboy

From my findings looks like the problem arises after the installation of update KB3200970 which addresses a security vulnerability, this update prevents users from accessing the BCM database unless the user is the "Administrator" account. Going over all users in SQL and comparing, nothing can be noticed thus the problem is a windows issue and not an SQL issue.

I formatted the server and installed Win 10 from scratch, BCM database started workign until KB3200970 got installed once again. I believe the update affects DCOM permissions.

Unfortunately this issue surpasses my level of expertese and i don't wanna misguide anyone, but perhaps another factor would be the hardening SAM remote access:

TechNet SAMRi10 - Hardening SAM Remote Access in Windows 10/Server 2016

I have stopped all updated ont he server as i had no more time to allocate for this issue, hopefully others can develop my findings for a complete solution / workaround.