Cannot find computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter Brevadt

We have installed BCM 2007 service pack 2 on a Vista PC, and connected 2

other PC's to the BCM 2007 database. Working fine.

Trying to connect a third PC result in 'Cannot find computer xxx. Confirm

that the remote computer exists and that it is available on the network'

during the installation of BCM 2007 (when you start Outlook).

The computer xxx does exists and it is possible to ping it from the user PC.

The databse instance MSSMLBIZ can too be ping'ed. Both are on the same

Workgroup (similar to two other PC's where there are no problems). And both

on the same TCP subnet.

We have tried nearly everything (stopped firewall, store viruscheck program

etc.), but no luck.

Any idea we could try?
 
L

Luther Blissett

On Aug 27, 5:55 am, Peter Brevadt

<PeterBrev...> wrote:
> We have installed BCM 2007 service pack 2 on a Vista PC, and connected 2
> other PC's to the BCM 2007 database. Working fine.

> Trying to connect a third PC result in 'Cannot find computer xxx. Confirm
> that the remote computer exists and that it is available on the network'
> during the installation of BCM 2007 (when you start Outlook).

> The computer xxx does exists and it is possible to ping it from the user PC.
> The databse instance MSSMLBIZ can too be ping'ed. Both are on the same
> Workgroup (similar to two other PC's where there are no problems). And both
> on the same TCP subnet.

> We have tried nearly everything (stopped firewall, store viruscheck program
> etc.), but no luck.

> Any idea we could try?


New machine has "Simple File Sharing" turned on -- that turns all

logins into user guest?

Also might be TCP port 445.

http://beyng.blogspot.com/2008/09/tcp-port-445-required-for-sharing.html
 
P

Peter

Unfortunately not any break through yet. PCP port 445 was already allowed. Do

not know what you mean by 'Simple File Sharing' in Vista? Where di I find

that? Still not working.

Any other ideas?

"Luther Blissett" wrote:


> On Aug 27, 5:55 am, Peter Brevadt
> <PeterBrev...> wrote:
> > We have installed BCM 2007 service pack 2 on a Vista PC, and connected 2
> > other PC's to the BCM 2007 database. Working fine.
> > Trying to connect a third PC result in 'Cannot find computer xxx. Confirm
> > that the remote computer exists and that it is available on the network'
> > during the installation of BCM 2007 (when you start Outlook).
> > The computer xxx does exists and it is possible to ping it from the user PC.
> > The databse instance MSSMLBIZ can too be ping'ed. Both are on the same
> > Workgroup (similar to two other PC's where there are no problems). And both
> > on the same TCP subnet.
> > We have tried nearly everything (stopped firewall, store viruscheck program
> > etc.), but no luck.
> > Any idea we could try?


> New machine has "Simple File Sharing" turned on -- that turns all
> logins into user guest?

> Also might be TCP port 445.
> http://beyng.blogspot.com/2008/09/tcp-port-445-required-for-sharing.html
>
 
L

Luther Blissett

On Sep 2, 3:45 am, Peter <Pe...> wrote:
> Unfortunately not any break through yet. PCP port 445 was already allowed.. Do
> not know what you mean by 'Simple File Sharing' in Vista? Where di I find
> that? Still not working.

> Any other ideas?

> "Luther Blissett" wrote:
> > On Aug 27, 5:55 am, Peter Brevadt
> > <PeterBrev...> wrote:
> > > We have installed BCM 2007 service pack 2 on a Vista PC, and connected 2
> > > other PC's to the BCM 2007 database. Working fine.

>
> > > Trying to connect a third PC result in 'Cannot find computer xxx. Confirm
> > > that the remote computer exists and that it is available on the network'
> > > during the installation of BCM 2007 (when you start Outlook).

>
> > > The computer xxx does exists and it is possible to ping it from the user PC.
> > > The databse instance MSSMLBIZ can too be ping'ed. Both are on the same
> > > Workgroup (similar to two other PC's where there are no problems). And both
> > > on the same TCP subnet.

>
> > > We have tried nearly everything (stopped firewall, store viruscheck program
> > > etc.), but no luck.

>
> > > Any idea we could try?

>
> > New machine has "Simple File Sharing" turned on -- that turns all
> > logins into user guest?

>
> > Also might be TCP port 445.
> >http://beyng.blogspot.com/2008/09/tcp-port-445-required-for-sharing.html-




SFS is turned off by default in Vista, but a Vista machine I bought

from an OEM arrived with it turned on. So it's worth checking to see

if this machine has it turned on.

http://www.home-network-help.com/simple-file-sharing.html
 
P

Peter Brevadt

"Luther Blissett" wrote:


> On Sep 2, 3:45 am, Peter <Pe...> wrote:
> > Unfortunately not any break through yet. PCP port 445 was already allowed.. Do
> > not know what you mean by 'Simple File Sharing' in Vista? Where di I find
> > that? Still not working.
> > Any other ideas?
> > "Luther Blissett" wrote:
> > > On Aug 27, 5:55 am, Peter Brevadt
> > > <PeterBrev...> wrote:
> > > > We have installed BCM 2007 service pack 2 on a Vista PC, and connected 2
> > > > other PC's to the BCM 2007 database. Working fine.

> >
> > > > Trying to connect a third PC result in 'Cannot find computer xxx. Confirm
> > > > that the remote computer exists and that it is available on the network'
> > > > during the installation of BCM 2007 (when you start Outlook).

> >
> > > > The computer xxx does exists and it is possible to ping it from the user PC.
> > > > The databse instance MSSMLBIZ can too be ping'ed. Both are on the same
> > > > Workgroup (similar to two other PC's where there are no problems). And both
> > > > on the same TCP subnet.

> >
> > > > We have tried nearly everything (stopped firewall, store viruscheck program
> > > > etc.), but no luck.

> >
> > > > Any idea we could try?

> >
> > > New machine has "Simple File Sharing" turned on -- that turns all
> > > logins into user guest?

> >
> > > Also might be TCP port 445.
> > >http://beyng.blogspot.com/2008/09/tcp-port-445-required-for-sharing.html-

>


> SFS is turned off by default in Vista, but a Vista machine I bought
> from an OEM arrived with it turned on. So it's worth checking to see
> if this machine has it turned on.
> http://www.home-network-help.com/simple-file-sharing.html
>


I turned on 'File and Printer Sharing for Microsoft Networks' under

properties for local area connection. That worked. Thanks:)
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Cannot Find Shared Database on Remote Computer BCM (Business Contact Manager) 13
K Cannot find any BCM databases on the computer BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
M Cannot find any Business Contact Manager databases on computer... BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T "cannot find the calendar folder for this item" - calendar items stuck in outbox Using Outlook 0
B Search: Cannot find which Folder Contains a Message Using Outlook 3
thomas zaleski Cannot find the Sending FOlder Using Outlook 2
J Cannot Find Activities 2010 Using Outlook 14
C Cannot find outlook express Using Outlook 6
L Outgoing Email attachment error "the system cannot find the file specified" Using Outlook 3
H I have installed Business Contact Manager but cannot find to use BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Daily Task List Minimized Cannot Display Using Outlook 4
O The linked image cannot be displayed Using Outlook 2
C "The linked image cannot be displayed. The file may have been moved, renamed, or deleted. Verify that the link points to the correct file location" Using Outlook 1
B IMAP server rejects sent email - cannot deliver messages Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2021 Cannot open attachments Outlook DeskTop 2021 Using Outlook 0
S Cannot print Contacts Using Outlook 7
J VBA Cannot programmatically input or change Value for User Defined field Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2010 Cannot edit Calendar entries in OL 2010. Using Outlook 1
O Cannot expand the folder. The set of folders cannot be opened. You do not have permission to log on. Using Outlook 1
N Item cannot be saved because it was modified by another user or window, and, Item could not be moved... Using Outlook 0
D Cannot populate certain UserProperties in Outlook from Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Outlook 2016 64bit, Cannot Save in 'HTML', format Using Outlook 1
D cannot view emails in View pane (in the right pane), I only see one line or nothing Using Outlook 21
M Cannot read the calendar Using Outlook 9
T The Linked Image Cannot Be Displayed in Outlook Using Outlook 7
D Outlook 2016 Outlook Error Msg "The operation cannot be performed ..." How to Stop it Using Outlook 4
S Custom Field Cannot Be Displayed In Views Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Cannot Move Autocomplete File to New Computer Using Outlook 15
rubaboo The vew cannot be found Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Cannot copy this folder because it may contain private items Using Outlook 0
L Cannot open PST file for first session each day Using Outlook 6
David in Mississippi New (Feb 2020) install of Outlook 365 - Cannot specify PST for different accounts Using Outlook 0
Marc2019 Need help please! Cannot Setup my outlook email account on my Mac Outlook 2011 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
noshairwan Registry cannot be found, Outlook Security Using Outlook 2
Marc2019 Cannot input Vietnamese Characters on my MSOutlook 2016 in Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
T Cannot remove needless PST Using Outlook 1
Marc2019 Cannot setup Outlook Account on Mac Os 10.6.8 Using Outlook 3
N pst files are recreating automaticaly and cannot be deleted Using Outlook 5
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
A Created a new user account and the local account cannot see email Using Outlook 3
iwshim outlook 2013 - I cannot see the "Manage Add-ins" Using Outlook 2
T Cannot connect to main BT email account, sub accts okay Using Outlook 0
O The page that you are trying to access cannot be loaded. Using Outlook 0
M Daily Task List Minimized Cannot Display Using Outlook 2
geofferyh Cannot get Macro to SAVE more than one message attachment??? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
DariTrevino MIcrosoft Outlook PST file cannot repair Using Outlook 1
B One email cannot be sent or received (but leaves outbox!) Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2016 cannot delete, email showing in root Exchange Server Administration 5
S Outlook.com cannot edit some contacts Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
C Outlook - cannot save subject line changes Using Outlook 2

Similar threads

Top