Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeb Howell

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I just upgraded from 2003 to 2010.

All my info remained on Rackspace server.

I cannot figure out how to create or modify activities (appointments) from the Contact form. Or anywhere else for that matter.

I have been told there is "supposed" to be an activities button in the ribbon at the top in the second (Show) category.

All that is in there is General, Details, Certificates, and All Fields. No Activities button.

How on earth do I create an appointment from the contact ???

Thanks

It's in the Show chunk - but if you use a hotmail account, its not there (hotmail doesn't support activities)

activities.png

Thats what I am saying- Activities DOES NOT appear at that spot. I know its supposed to. I am not using hotmail. Any idea why its not there and how I can get it to appear? The only thing I can thin of where there may be an incompatibility is I own a 64 bit laptop and I bought the 2010 Outlook off the shelf (3 user) and it turns out to be 32 bit. Cant imagine that would make a difference.

It's not 32-bit outlook on 64bit windows - the screenshot was taken on that set up.

What buttons do you see in that position? The Show chunk looks to be all or nothing - either you'll see all 5 buttons or a Show button to expand.

Was this a new install or an upgrade? If you upgraded or use Easy Transfer to move a profile, its possible the ribbon is corrupt - from an open contact, go to File, Options, Customize Ribbon.

#1 is what you should see under the Main tabs - Contact - Show section and #2 is where you'll go to add Activities to a New group.

ribbon.jpg

Diane,

As you see from the screenshot, my Show section is missing Activities.

to install Office 2010, I had to completely uninstall 2003.

It was 'from the box" bought at Office Depot.

Install went seamlessly (except for need to uninstall), didnt know I had a problem til I tried to check to be sure I had an appt with a prospect. Someone else told me the Activities was Supposed to be there. I have tried going to File-Options- Customize Ribbon but the Show section cannot be customized. When I "plus" Show in Options list it indicates all the tabs are there (although greyed out) but I simply cannt figure out how to get the Activities button to appear in the Show section (or anywhere for that matter).

I cannot even find Activities in the choices to move it over to the Ribbon in another spot. As a very crude workaround, I was able to put Appointments on the right side of the ribbon, but of course that forces me to have to click Contact at the bottom and drill down thru the public folder into the contacts (on Rackspace server) and locate the contact there- And I still have no idea whether I have that prospect scheduled for a followup at another time since I cannot get to Activities under any circumstances.

If you can tell me where I can locate Activities to get it onto the Ribbon, that would be GREATLY appreciated!

Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 646
Is this stored in a non-default data file? When i checked a profile with multiple accounts, only the default one has Activities.

I do not know what that means

We have several users sharing the Outlook contacts on Rackspace

This has never been an issue for 2007 or 2003 users

Let me know what I need to research in order to answer your question

It means that you have 2 or more data files (pst or mailboxes) in the profile and the one marked as Default in File, Account Settings, Data files is not the one where the contact is stored.

Only contacts stored in the data file with the blue checkmark icon supports activities.

activities-2.jpg

Also note that activities are broken/less than useful in Outlook 2010.

http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2010/activities.asp

I'll have to add this behavior to the page as i don't think its on there.

These contacts are in a Public Folder on Exchange. I am trying to see the Activities.

I checked and the Exchange address is listed as the default file

I just want a way to review each contact and be sure they are scheduled for followup meeting/call/ other activity

Also want to be able to drill into that scheduled activity and change date/time if necessary

Has 2010 lost this functionality?

Thanks

Sorry its just not so.

I am able to see the Activities tab on my personal file. However, when I schedule an appointment with a contact in that file, then click the activities button, the appointment does not appear. I have read in other forums and articles that the activities button does not work on 2010, and was hoping this was incorrect. Some have suggested MS is removing functionality on purpose. I certainly hope that you have a real solution, but so far 2010 seems less functional than 2003.

Thanks for your help.

The activity feature is broken. See http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2010/activities.asp for details but the short version is:

•All items: Shows only e-mailed items, including e-mailed meetings and tasks requests from mail folders (usually in Sent items).

•Upcoming Tasks and Appointments: Does not show tasks and appointments from Tasks or Calendar folders.

Activities will not work in PF - that's not considered part of the default data file. The contacts need to be in the contacts folder in your mailbox for it to work.

Try the people pane - does it show meetings with that person? It uses the index and should work, although you may need to cache and index the public folder.

Activities is being depreciated.

Ok so I normalized the People pane, the various tabs appear to the left (All Items, Mail, Attachments, Activities, etc).

Are you also saying that these fields will not populate because its on Exchange server and we are contact sharing?

Correct, Activities ae not available if the contact is not in the default pst file.

Thats what I keep saying, it does not work even for contacts in the primary pst file.

Does it work for the contacts in your exchange mailbox? it will only work for one data file in the profile.

Status
Not open for further replies.