PST with no messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

grahaman

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
I had my computer stolen but fortunately I have a back up of outlook.pst. This file is 1.2GB but when I open it as a data file in my new Outlook installation on my replacement computer, there are no custom folders and nothing in any of the standard folders either. I have run scanpst numerous times. I have scoured the Internet and seen plenty of people with this problem but no real answers. Any ideas? Thanks,

Very strange!

If you think you have a corrupt .pst file, you should try to scan it with any third-party PST recovery tool. There are many PST recovery software in the market. You can check any of them. But first check free demo or trial version. Do not buy the software without checking it. Sometimes you may regret using them. So, to avoid such disappointing situation, first check free demo version. Usually demo version enables you to view the preview of recovered data. If you are satisfied with that, then only you should place an order for the software. Otherwise, you can check another one.

I would recommend SysInfoTools PST File Repair software here. I have my personal experience with this software, it never disappointed me. It will recover your maximum possible data from your .pst file, if possible. You can try its free demo version to check preview of recovered data.

Thanks.

I tried this tool and it found nothing in the PST. Any other suggestions?

I personally recommend Stellar Phoenix and DataNumen products - if they can't see anything in the pst, then the pst is corrupt and not recoverable. I tested products from several companies and its my experience that when one can't see the contents, the others won't see them either, so it may not do any good to try another product.

How did you create the backup? The pst can't be backed up when outlook is open but some backup utilities will try, resulting in an empty folder.

I personally recommend Stellar Phoenix and DataNumen products - if they can't see anything in the pst, then the pst is corrupt and not recoverable. I tested products from several companies and its my experience that when one can't see the contents, the others won't see them either, so it may not do any good to try another product.

How did you create the backup? The pst can't be backed up when outlook is open but some backup utilities will try, resulting in an empty folder.

Diane,

My backup copy was created using WD Anywhere which came on my Western Digital external hard drive. There are other PST files on it that are readable. My file has plenty in it, just not readable by Outlook. BTW I just installed Outlook 2007 on this new computer and Windows does not recognize PST files as openable by Outlook. Do I have a bigger problem?

Windows does not recognize PST files as openable by Outlook. Do I have a bigger problem?

How are you trying to open them? Pst files are not double-clickable. You need to add them using File, Open, Outlook Data file or in Tools, Account Settings.

I'm not sure if the problem is that it wasn't backed up properly because it was in use at the time of the backup or it's corrupt.

How are you trying to open them? Pst files are not double-clickable. You need to add them using File, Open, Outlook Data file or in Tools, Account Settings.

I'm not sure if the problem is that it wasn't backed up properly because it was in use at the time of the backup or it's corrupt.

Had not realized Windows could not "open with" for PST files. Looks like my problem is just with a corrupted PST. I will try the other two tools you mention but hopes are fading fast....

I don't have much hope either, but good luck!

I had no luck with any of this software. Is there anything that is available to read the raw data (there are still 1.2GB in the file) so I can extract important snippets?

no, the only method is the same one the utilities you tried use.

Status
Not open for further replies.