Status
Not open for further replies.

rawsco

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi Guys,

Been bursting myself trying to locate the source of this problem...

Symtoms include:

Outlook fully service packed taking an age to start up. Takes longer for users with more than one mailbox mapped. Looking at outlook started with /rpcdiag reveals the first 'Directory' connection is very slow, almost always 21500ms +/- 500ms or so. the connections to the Mail are face a few ms generally. further directory connections are fine. This delay is exaggerated by the number of accounts mapped each account mapped adds a further 25 seconds to the launch of outlook. We also see timeouts on occasion. Outlook performance is good and snappy once its started.

The environment is Exchange 2013 with the latest CU (applied last month), 2 x CAS servers (One in operation as Load Balancers were removed as part of the trouble shooting process) 2 x MBX server in a DAG currently only about 40 or 50 users. All running in vSphere 5.2 Enterprise. Desktops are VDI using horizon view.

Any thoughts on this? Worth noting the majority of the basic trouble shooting has been done, new outlook profile, safe mode, open small mailboxes, I'm confident the LAN is performing well as is the vSphere environment, disk latency is very low and SAN is less than 10% usage of capable IOPS, cpu usage is low on all components.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions

It looks like there is a problem talking to the directory and finding the server - if exchange 2013 replaced an older exchange, it could be looking for the old one first. If it worked before and not now, then I'd look at the updates, or changes to EWS - autodiscover settings.

Thanks, Brand new environment, not sure whether it was happening before as we have only started migrating users now... its not really an issue for a user that has only one mailbox as it only takes 23 seconds to open, if the user has many it can take minutes to log them on.... this is a common in our environment.

Outlook is fast and responsive when open, and opening the GAL is fast....

We are running in online mode as disposable linked clones, I failed to note that before.

Oh, online mode. That is slower, but I'm surprised its reporting slowness at the directory level. Plus 25 seconds per mailbox is a bit too slow. Does out of office work?

As stated interactive performance is not a problem, nice and snappy no waits etc etc its just this initial startup. My hunch is that something is timing out somewhere, the response time for the query initially is always 21seconds. Its very consistent.

Out of office is working OK. The test of the auto discover service is very rapid too.

Outlook 2013 displays the same behaviour.

Yeah, I'd expect it in any version. I believe there is a problem in finding the right server, its fairly common with migrations. Did you run all the tests in the connectivity troubleshooter?

We logged a ticket with Microsoft and they were also unable to rectify the issue however we did get to the bottom of the problem. Fairly simple solution to be honest.

We forcibly disabled IPv6 on the network adapters for the CAS and Mailbox servers. We had already done this to no effect within the network and sharing centre this didn't work. We had to disable ipv6 via the registry as per the following KB.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929852

Thanks for the update. It was trying to find the server using ipv6 first, then dropping to ipv4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Outlook 2013/Exchange 2013 - Conf Rooms not fully booking "resolved conflict" meetings Using Outlook 3
L what is safe size for pst of Outlook 2013 via Office 365 exchange? Using Outlook 1
S Exchange server 2013 / Outlook 2013 Exchange Server Administration 3
J Outlook 2013 - Exchange 2007 manage distribution group Exchange Server Administration 1
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 or 2013 Dual Configuration Exchange + IMAP Exchange Server Administration 6
Jon Bakrley Outlook 2013 and Exchange 2007, Out of the office error message Using Outlook 8
V Outlook 2013 cant stay connected to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
A Unable to send with attachments in Outlook 2013 (Exchange ActiveSync) Using Outlook 2
S Is Free/Busy supposed to work in Outlook 2013 not connected to Exchange? Using Outlook 14
R Problem with searching public folders Exchange 2013/16 Exchange Server Administration 2
Diane Poremsky Create an Organizational Forms Library in Exchange 2013 or Office 365 Using Outlook 0
M Exchange 2013 On premise set MessageRateLimit for User has no effect. Exchange Server Administration 0
Mr Mayor Lync presence not synching with Exchange (2013) Exchange Server Administration 1
EXChange2013 Exchange 2013 AutoDiscover Tweaks? Exchange Server Administration 0
M Exfolders Exchange 2013 Exchange Server Administration 6
Diane Poremsky Create an Organizational Forms Library in Exchange 2013 Using Outlook 1
H Exchange 2013 ECP migration connects to crashed server Exchange Server Administration 0
X Exchange 2013 - Emails stuck in Outbox folder Exchange Server Administration 3
R Exchange 2003 to 2013 mail Exchange Server Administration 4
A Outlook can't remember outlook.com, Exchange password. Using Outlook 0
CWM550 Exchange Plan 1 Using Outlook 3
O Outlook - Switch from Exchange to IMAP Using Outlook 2
S Email was migrated from GoDaddy to Microsoft exchange. We lost IMAP ability Exchange Server Administration 1
C Migrate Exchange to Office 365 Using Outlook 2
A Online Mode to Cached Exchange Mode problem Using Outlook 2
S client lost 3K contacts when office 365 for mac account deleted from company exchange server Using Outlook 5
C How to fix outlook continuing to prompt fo an Exchange password Using Outlook 0
O How to sync (one way) contacts between two Outlook (exchange) accounts? Using Outlook 0
H Preventing the 'email address fetch from Exchange' crashing email reading code Exchange Server Administration 0
B Strange MAPI/Exchange/IMAP behaviour in OL 2016 under10.0.19044.2006 Using Outlook 0
HarvMan Outlook 365 loses "outlook.com" exchange server settings Using Outlook 1
Z New minimum Outlook for Windows version requirements for Microsoft 365/Exchange Online Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 27
L Help connecting to hosted exchange server 2016 Using Outlook 0
O Exchange Sync period only (e.g. last years mail) Using Outlook 0
J Connect outlook to office365 exchange _without_ signing in office apps Using Outlook 4
J Importing N2K from a different Exchange Server Using Outlook 1
G Forward email body to other mail list directly from Exchange server Exchange Server Administration 1
D Do I need Exchange Add-In? Using Outlook 6
O Newbie question: how to sync two Outlook -Exchange and IMAP- calendars? Using Outlook 4
I Exchange 2019 - MICROSOFT-CORP-MSN-AS-BLOCK Exchange Server Administration 0
T Outlook 2010 How to Delete “Orphaned” TO DO? ( Not on Exchange Server) Using Outlook 6
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
D Microsoft Exchange account - Remote management Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
C Transfer Autocomplete from Pop to Exchange Using Outlook 3
N Backing Up Exchange Calendar Using Outlook 13
A Ol16 desktopT suddenly can't connect with Exchange Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
T How can Exchange be configured to sync/push one-way so that the server data can't be affected Exchange Server Administration 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 Moving IMAP emails to Exchange Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 365 Exchange .ost within Personal Vaul Using Outlook 0