OST question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dec1123

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
At work I was tasked with finding a solution for a user that wanted to have their personal email account(gmail) added to their outlook I researched and found a lot of good documentation how to do this
I had never done that before and the person requesting this could not let me on her computer to do the research and testing ( and I would never expect to sit at a users computer ....not until I was actually ready to implement the solution for them) so I did this on my computer. so I got her gmail account added to my outlook and everything looked like is was working....I sent test email from my exchange account oher gmail and was able to monitor the process to verify these emails were getting sent to both her original gmail and the new gmail I just added to my outlook...I really need to verify that this new process would not delete emails over in the real gmail mailbox...
so my question would be.... after the new gmail account was added in mu outlook and all those account folders got updated.....the inbox in that account would have all the emails that were in the gmail internet account ( both read and unread/new) .... s o all these files/messages would now be added to my OST

I am now being charged with reading her email ..they grabbed my OST file and "dissected" it and now charging me with reading her gmail emails ..I have never examined an OST file.. I don't know what detail is in there....does it list email file status as unread/read? ..does it log you opening a file for a specific amount of time ? would the fact that this new gmail account I added to my outlook got completely updated with as much of the original gmail internet contents... would that action then have the kinds of detail in the OST that could lead one to think I actually read all those emails that streamed over from gmail ?

thanks for any input

At work I was tasked with finding a solution for a user that wanted to have their personal email account(gmail) added to their outlook I researched and found a lot of good documentation how to do this
I had never done that before and the person requesting this could not let me on her computer to do the research and testing ( and I would never expect to sit at a users computer ....not until I was actually ready to implement the solution for them) so I did this on my computer. so I got her gmail account added to my outlook and everything looked like is was working....I sent test email from my exchange account oher gmail and was able to monitor the process to verify these emails were getting sent to both her original gmail and the new gmail I just added to my outlook...I really need to verify that this new process would not delete emails over in the real gmail mailbox...
so my question would be.... after the new gmail account was added in mu outlook and all those account folders got updated.....the inbox in that account would have all the emails that were in the gmail internet account ( both read and unread/new) .... s o all these files/messages would now be added to my OST

I am now being charged with reading her email ..they grabbed my OST file and "dissected" it and now charging me with reading her gmail emails ..I have never examined an OST file.. I don't know what detail is in there....does it list email file status as unread/read? ..does it log you opening a file for a specific amount of time ? would the fact that this new gmail account I added to my outlook got completely updated with as much of the original gmail internet contents... would that action then have the kinds of detail in the OST that could lead one to think I actually read all those emails that streamed over from gmail ?

thanks for any input
IS my question "out of bounds" (I am new to this forum) I haven't got any replies I guises I gave too much detail about my circumstances ...........my basic question would be

"Can an OST file prove you had read any particular email message ?"
I don't really need an overview of what an OST is but just need to have someone that really knows exactly what an OST file can show verify if examining and OST file can show which email you had read

again thanks for any input

It's not out of bounds, but all my helpers went missing. ;)

An ost only tells you which messages were marked as read. They can't tell how long it was opened, although there is a modified date so they might know when. They can't tell you for sure that it was truly read, unless the person replies and says they read it. It's no different than with read receipts - the read state doesn't prove if it was read or not and you can send back 'not read' even though it was read.

Depending on your outlook settings, opening her mailbox could mark a message read. If the account was added as a pop account, the server copies could be marked as read when downloaded from the server - this is typical behavior but I'm not sure if gmail behaves this way. (Would need to test it).

What is her proof that you read the mail? Just that it's on your machine?

Honestly, it sounds like a witch hunt, a misunderstanding on her side, with mistakes on your part, especially if you set it up in your profile and not in a new profile.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's not out of bounds, but all my helpers went missing. ;)

An ost only tells you which messages were marked as read. They can't tell how long it was opened, although there is a modified date so they might know when. They can't tell you for sure that it was truly read, unless the person replies and says they read it. It's no different than with read receipts - the read state doesn't prove if it was read or not and you can send back 'not read' even though it was read.

Depending on your outlook settings, opening her mailbox could mark a message read. If the account was added as a pop account, the server copies could be marked as read when downloaded from the server - this is typical behavior but I'm not sure if gmail behaves this way. (Would need to test it).

What is her proof that you read the mail? Just that it's on your machine?

Honestly, it sounds like a witch hunt, a misunderstanding on her side, with mistakes on your part, especially if you set it up in your profile and not in a new profile.
Well I guess I am a "rube" on this because I had no training about ethics or appearances of impropriety at all or awareness that doing all the research using my computer as we always have done on all projects in the past could end up with this type of situation....... plus I have always been a very trusted employee for 19 years now sit all day at user computers that have their email right up on the display........ live and learn

Her proof? I am not sure if this new tech wizard that has been newly hired as our 1st ever IT director has a personal issue with me, or if he was assigned the job of finding something on me rooted in some terrible political issue I have been working under for 4 years now ...but when this all was done(adding the gmail) , there was no company IT department/structure...the IT folks were pretty much staff that got projects handed to them either verbally or through a helpdesk system
so the "proof " is the fact that this new IT director had gone into my computer and grabbed my OST file then came the charges that I had been reading her emails !! ...he was not aware that I had been requested to do this by this lady.... to do this and get her a solution that would permit her to access her gmail so him not knowing I was told to do this.... made him run right over and tell them I was reading her emails
Of course this would have alarmed her to hear this from this new tech wizard guy and adopted his assessment of the OST as gospel truth ...

Thank you Diane

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Some how my reply got pasted into your reply Diane..so please re examine you reply to me to see the additional details I posted....not sure how they got into your reply

Well I guess I am a "rube" on this because I had no training about ethics or appearances of impropriety at all or awareness that doing all the research using my computer as we always have done on all projects in the past could end up with this type of situation....... plus I have always been a very trusted employee for 19 years now sit all day at user computers that have their email right up on the display........ live and learn

Her proof? I am not sure if this new tech wizard that has been newly hired as our 1st ever IT director has a personal issue with me, or if he was assigned the job of finding something on me rooted in some terrible political issue I have been working under for 4 years now ...but when this all was done(adding the gmail) , there was no company IT department/structure...the IT folks were pretty much staff that got projects handed to them either verbally or through a helpdesk system so the "proof " is the fact that this new IT director had gone into my computer and grabbed my OST file then came the charges that I had been reading her emails !! ...he was not aware that I had been requested to do this by this lady.... to do this and get her a solution that would permit her to access her gmail so him not knowing I was told to do this.... made him run right over and tell them I was reading her emails

Of course this would have alarmed her to hear this from this new tech wizard guy and adopted his assessment of the OST as gospel truth ...

Thank you Diane

The ost proves nothing. She gave you her user/password... and there is absolutely no way to prove you intentionally read it (probably boring junk anyway :)) - and if he's looked at the ost, then guess what - he's read it too. :)

But, again, there is nothing in the ost that will prove that you read the messages or how long any message was open on screen. If he tries to insist otherwise, he's a liar and full of #$%&.

Status
Not open for further replies.