Conditional Formatting:How to use >1 value in a filter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bob delaney

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi I am trying to color code anything that is sent to me in RED (got that) BUT if it is from a certain email/text in header- leave it BLACK (got that)

Now here is the question:
I have the need to do the above for more than 1 email in the From so that if I get an email to me from either email 1 or email 2 it will not color it RED- apparently outlook can only handle 1 value per field for conditional formatting. Can someone verify?

I have tried
  1. 1 condition statement with 2 filter values (each with 1 From email)
  2. 1 condition statements with 1 filter value with the 2 From emails separated by ; and ,
  3. 1 condition statement with 1 filter value containing =OR (email1, email2)
  4. 2 separate conditional statements with each having just 1 email ( i figured this would surely work but did not

Use the from field on the Message tab and enter the addresses with semicolon separators. You can use full addresses or the domain only.

conditional-format.png

Thanks for the reply- however- I want the Operand to be not equal to an email address or header

Oh, that is harder because you can't do a doesn't contain a or b rules - if it doesn't contain A, it contains everything else including B, if it doesn't contain B, it contains everything else, including A. Setting a color category using rules would be easier - as rules have an exception.

The query builder can do it with query builder though - http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/using-query-builder/ - but to get the sender email address, you need to install a custom form from http://www.slipstick.com/exchange/adding-extended-mapi-fields-to-outlook/ and use the sender email address field from that form. The From field will use the display name (which should work too, as long as the sender uses the same mail client every time.)

If you have the SQL tab in the filter, that should work too, I'm not at a computer with Outlook 2010 right now to get the exact sql to use.

conditional-not-format.png

Thank you- WOW- it works. I did notice the AND/OR operand seems backwards (i.e. I had to use AND for an either or logic)

Hmmm... when i tested the rule earlier to get the screenshots, I tried "doesn't contain This AND That" and didn't work. It's working now - i wonder what i screwed up in my test earlier (it could have been anything - I was on my netbook with a tiny screen and tiny keyboard). Query builder does offer more complicated rules.

Outlook should be processing it as "doesn't contain This and doesn't contain that"

rules.png

I am using the Query Builder- I attached a snapshot. The AND works as an OR in this instance

Attachments

• deleteme.png
    deleteme.png
    201.3 KB · Views: 595
That should have worked in the Advanced tab too - not that it matters since it's working - but when you use 2 different fields in a filter, they are AND'd together. Using the same field name twice OR's the lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
N Help creating a VBA macro with conditional formatting to change the font color of all external emails to red Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Conditional formatting - when current account <> received account ? Using Outlook 3
P BCM conditional formatting BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
S Conditional Formatting for messages in a Conversation thread Using Outlook 1
S Conditional Formatting in calendar part of To-Do Bar Using Outlook 1
S Conditional formatting problem with "is not empty" and categories Using Outlook 2
K Conditional Formatting based on Department of person received from? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Using conditional formatting on a shared calendar with categories Using Outlook 6
C Change default colors for conditional formatting Using Outlook 2
D Conditional formatting - font sizes Using Outlook 3
A Help creating macro for conditional formatting settings Using Outlook 8
A Using OR when organising with conditional formatting Using Outlook 1
J Conditional Formatting Upon My Reply Using Outlook 1
N lose conditional formatting when importing to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
K Outlook 2010 conditional formatting Using Outlook 21
C Outlook 2016 Conditional Format for User Defined Field Using Outlook 1
T Conditional dates in Outlook Calendar Exchange Server Administration 1
R CALENDAR conditional formating not consistent??? Using Outlook 1
C View doesn't refresh (fields or formatting) Using Outlook 1
V Can one change the formatting of email title blocks? Using Outlook 0
K Outlook tasks formatting Using Outlook 4
V Outlook Forms: Formatting a Label with 2 different styles Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N How to remove signature formatting from Text in Word (accidentally taken from Outlook) Using Outlook 0
L Email to task without changin formatting Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 16
K Paste from Windows Clipboard then change font without losing formatting Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Use Word Macro to Apply Formatting to Email Using Outlook 0
makinmyway How Prevent Re-Formatting of Contact Notes Field When Syncing Using Outlook 10
G outlook 13 copy & paste without losing formatting Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2007 Formatting Using Outlook 1
D telephone formatting Contacts Using Outlook 2
A Lync meeting in outlook lose HTML formatting Using Outlook 3
Copwriter Paragraph formatting in blank messages/stationery Using Outlook 3
V Report stuck formatting page Using Outlook 1
T The Formatting Changes When A Recurring Appointment is Changed Using Outlook 1
J Formatting Contacts to Export for iPhone Using Outlook 0
O How do I get rid of odd formatting of new e-mails? Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 2010 not formatting in-line comments Using Outlook 5
W Outlook 2010 Share calendar but keep color formatting Using Outlook 2
Commodore Auto-formatting of certain phone numbers Using Outlook 2
B Ok - a complicated one - but really need help (auto formatting) Using Outlook 9
E Email Formatting - Tabs Using Outlook 1
A Need method to rapidly correct telephone contact telephone number formatting Using Outlook 1
H Formatting of email conversation print outs - URGENT Using Outlook 1
K Problems with message formatting for individual user Using Outlook 1
M Auto-correct Contact fields' formatting? Using Outlook 7
O Hyperlink formatting lost after replacement in outlook Using Outlook 5
O Hyperlink formatting lost after replacement in outlook Using Outlook 0
D Formatting Styles when Replying Using Outlook 10
N Help in programmatically setting formatting in an AppointmentItem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
H Create/Apply auto formatting rules by VB? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2