Old attachments do not open after Exchange 2007 edb recovery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bensongaster

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Domain Controllers failed and user had no backups. I took their exchange server and built a new domain.
I installed exchange 2007 sp3 and performed a "eseutil /p on the edb file since it was in a dirty state.

I created all the user accounts and connected the disconnected mailboxes that were on the repaired mailbox database.

My problem is that any attachments that were in a message previous to the restore will not open. They are able to use new attachments as they arrive.

Any error messages?

Attachments are stored in the message, so they should work - unless you used an application to remove attachments and replace them with a shortcut. Those could possibly fail (but shouldn't.)

- Stop the Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer service. Run Stop-Service MSExchangeSearch if you are into Shell.

- Browse to where the database files are located on the disk. Along with the database file, you will see a folder with “CatalogData-random string” as its name. Delete this folder, which stores the corrupt index.

- Restart the Microsoft Exchange Search Indexer service. Run Start-Service MSExchangeSearch if you are into Shell.
R
- Give it a minute and a new folder will be created and a new index will be built.

- If guide on above can't assist you, then you may utilize software for crashed .edb files

Domain Controllers failed and user had no backups. I took their exchange server and built a new domain.
I installed exchange 2007 sp3 and performed a "eseutil /p on the edb file since it was in a dirty state.

I created all the user accounts and connected the disconnected mailboxes that were on the repaired mailbox database.

My problem is that any attachments that were in a message previous to the restore will not open. They are able to use new attachments as they arrive.

If your old attachments of Exchange database are inaccessible due to any reason and you are looking

for some manual solution you can try Scanost.exe which is provided by Microsoft. It is inbuilt command

that can check all the issues related to Exchange server and helps you to overcome your problem.

But this method only useful when you have small data. If you have a large amount of data then you can

try third party tool such as a Free EDB Viewer which can provide you a flawless solution for solving any

issue regarding EDB files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
B Delete/replace old files and save new attachments Using Outlook 1
V Move old emails or emails with large attachments ? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
T Outlook 365 Search Box reverting to old location Using Outlook 2
CWM550 Importing " Old Skool" Data Using Outlook 0
G Removing old emails when adding accounts Using Outlook 3
M Issues with templates - unable to find in old web app Using Outlook 3
M How to setup outlook after importing old account information - Entering email account info creates with "(1)" after the account! Using Outlook 1
G Inbox shows old email Using Outlook 3
W Outlook WAS facebook but there is no info for old accounts Using Outlook 0
C How to use VBA to show only items x days old or more Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Deleting Synchronisation of Old Accounts Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
semnaitik Archive PST is not empty but can't see old emails Using Outlook 2
CWM030 Call me old if you want. OL 2016 font size out of the box. Using Outlook 3
T Remove Old Location From Tasks Pane Using Outlook 1
O Having rules run on old mails noved to inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
R Would creating a new profile cause Outlook to download all the old mails from the server? Using Outlook 1
Steven 2007 New PC vs Old PC - Micro Font on Inbound Emails :( Using Outlook 4
J Delete old emails Exchange Server Administration 1
J Old unread emails on current date (MDaemon Server) Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 - use of old PST file - will all emails be downloaded or only latest?? Using Outlook 1
J Corrupt & new profile - old contacts? Using Outlook 2
A Updated custom form not showing with old items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C GoDaddy office 365 setup wizard erased old Outlook emails? Using Outlook 14
B Deleting old Stream_autocomplete and other files Using Outlook 1
J Automatically Move Old Items from a Shared Mailbox to a .PST on a Network Drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P deleting old UDP items in tasks Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R can I transfer outlook data from old pc by using .ost file instead of the .pst Using Outlook 5
P Restoring old sbb database in existing one BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
R IMAP & Outlook 2007: incoming messages still going to old Inbox. Using Outlook 3
K Outlook 2010 form is displaying old form layout Using Outlook 3
rezazy Do not download old email Using Outlook 1
R Can only see emails no later than two weeks old! HELP! Exchange Server Administration 6
R Can only see emails no later than two weeks old! HELP! Using Outlook 5
N User deleted old meetings? Using Outlook 1
L Messages in old PST display as code Using Outlook 1
Rupert Dragwater How to delete old rules and create new in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 12
D Outlook 2007- old reminder popups Exchange Server Administration 4
P Installation BCM impossible due to untraceable old SQL-server remains BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
R Rules - apply to messages > n days old Using Outlook 2
S old mail continues downloading over and over Using Outlook 3
Katrina Fox Missing appointments on calendar even though transferred from old pst Using Outlook 0
D cleaning up old Exchange 2003 data on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
V Re-use old pst file? Using Outlook 1
J Old problems that never die BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
Jennifer Murphy How to Copy Categories from the Old ANSI PST to the New Unicode PST? Using Outlook 4
B Trying to get old emails from a not working computer but having trouble. Using Outlook 6
S How do I keep my old PST file as default Exchange Server Administration 1
R Menus in a new\old email not there in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 2