Would creating a new profile cause Outlook to download all the old mails from the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rkr3

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have a feeling that I may need to create a new Outlook profile.

Would doing so -- then adding the existing PST files -- cause Outlook to download all the old emails from the server?

If you use Outlook 2016 with current updates (with the new New Account wizard), it *should* only get new ones.

That is how it worked a couple of weeks ago for a client who had 40,000 messages on the server. If the data file is named using the email address (example: rkr3@domain.com.pst) and its in the default location (documents\outlook files), auto account setup should use the old pst. If you are concerned it won't (or the pst is named differently), click the option for manual setup and try selecting a pst - if the Browse button doesn't work and the pst name is your email address, it found the old pst. At least that is how it was for my client.

After starting outlook, i watched the status bar and it said 'downloading 1 of 160', not 1 of 40,000. Had it said '1 of 40,000' i was ready to take outlook offline (Send and receive tab) and set up a rule to move mail received prior to the last time she downloaded mail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Creating an outlook session from Access vba but run silently. With A specific profile Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Creating New Profile Using Outlook 0
C Creating an Outlook Profile for RPC over HTTP client Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Creating Macro to scrape emails from calendar invite body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Custom Contact card - need help creating one Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Outlook 2016 Creating an outlook Macro to select and approve Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N Help creating a VBA macro with conditional formatting to change the font color of all external emails to red Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
G Event when creating task from mailitem Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
T Outlook creating unwanted tasks in Tasks and Todo from emails Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2016 Creating a shared local Contacts folder Using Outlook 2
R Creating a user defined function Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Creating an RSS Feed **FROM** Outlook 2013 Calendar. Using Outlook 5
O How to prevent CC from showing when creating a new mail? Using Outlook 1
N Creating a button or link to a form in the Organizational Forms Library Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B Creating an email with the list of tasks Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Creating drafts when I thought I was sending Using Outlook 1
A Creating Progress Bar or Status Bar Update Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Outlook creating a folder named: "Unwanted" Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2007 Contacts Glitch: Creating a new email Using Outlook 1
Liza Creating a rule in outlook to filter messages Using Outlook 0
A Are categories still recommended for creating local distribution lists? Using Outlook 3
S Creating Email - Selecting Pre-Defined Text Using Outlook 2
M Creating Outlook Appointments from Excel Cells Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Y Creating custom appointment request form with multiple mail recipients Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M creating email from contact file = 3 emails in To field Using Outlook 3
P Recover / Extract Rules from standalone PST file creating RWZ file Using Outlook 2
A Creating an outlook rule to forward an email with a specific message Using Outlook 1
I Creating meeting invite with disabled tentative button Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
E Creating email templates for organizational use Using Outlook 0
N Creating or changing the main new mail message template in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
D Creating custom view with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Outlook creating unwanted rule on its own Using Outlook 1
R Creating a Room Mailbox with Exchange Online Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Creating a rule on “Deleted items” folder Using Outlook 1
CMG73 Creating templates with predefined subject and CC Using Outlook 1
G Creating Contact Sub Folders Using Outlook 2
Rupert Dragwater creating gmail account in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 7
nathandavies Creating a Select Case for a directory of folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
2 creating custom stationery Using Outlook 2
A Help creating macro for conditional formatting settings Using Outlook 8
Fozzie Bear Creating Custom Meeting Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
U Creating a (This computer only) folder within an IMAP account directory Using Outlook 1
A Creating archive rule on the clients by script/ Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Creating a URL from a message body excerpt before forwarding Using Outlook 2
B Need Help Creating Email Based on Subject w Address in Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Creating rule to create week folder and transfer mail using alert Using Outlook 3
J Creating an "isolated" shared calendar in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Creating a Task from Email and Attaching Original Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Creating custom rule to move if "NAME" is in body but ignore the phrase "Hi NAME" in the search Using Outlook 2
Witzker Outlook bug when creating a user defined contact form? Using Outlook 1