Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt1971

Outlook version
Outlook on the web
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi All and thanks so much for any help.

I am using Outlook on the desktop. It is provided by my employer. When I review version information, it says Microsoft Outlook for Office 365 MSO (16.0.10730.20264) 32-bit.

This Monday Outlook started having trouble with window sizing: when I open a mail message, it may - and usually does - open the message window in a window that *thinks* it is maximized but is not. I attached a screen shot that I am hoping helps explain. Two windows are shown. In the background is the main Outlook window. Foreground is a new mail message. Note how the new message (foreground window) is not maximized (because you can see the Outlook window behind it) BUT it has a Restore button and not a Maximize button. Furthermore, you'll see that the bottom of the not-really-maximized window is "cut off" - you can't see the frame that surrounds a maximized window like normal. It's not a situation where the window is bleeding onto my other monitor, and it doesn't matter which monitor I have Outlook on, nor does anything change if I go to a single monitor.

For all intents and purposes, this looks like a "floating", non-maximized window but Outlook thinks it's maximized. Clicking the Restore button shrinks the window slightly, and then if I click the maximize button, it goes back to the original (non-maximized) size and shows a restore button.

Even worse, there have been a few instances where I open a mail message and it does this, then I click to reply or forward the mail and the reply/forward window appears below the other message - so now I have this "stack" of windows, each slightly below the prior, each cut off the screen, each thinking it's maximized.

If I pick up the window and move it pretty much anywhere, I can then maximize it just fine, but the next e-mail window will go right back to this weird false-maximized size. Sometimes several windows in a row will open maximized properly, and then several after that will do this. I don't know what the issue is - I've tried turning off some add-ons, seeing if it had anything to do with a folder or particular message but it seems almost random. It's driving me crazy.

Thanks again for any help,
Matt
Capture.PNG

Hi Everybody,

I'm seeing a lot of "reads" on this but so far no responses. I'm hoping I was just too wordy so here's the tl;dr version:

When I open some Outlook e-mails, the window is not maximized and cannot be maximized because there is only a Restore button, not a Maximize button. To actually maximize, I have to move the entire window and drop it -at that point a Maximize buttons appears. Happens only with Outlook mail messages (not appts, tasks) and only on the majority of mail messages, not all. Screen shot in my original message showing what it looks like.

Thanks!
Matt

A little new information. On a hunch, I moved my Win taskbar from the top to the bottom of my secondary screen. This fixed the problem for several days, but this morning it's doing it again.

Sorry I missed this earlier. I see all kinds of weirdness with the taskbar on top but i'm not moving it. :) On my laptop, the items open about 1/3 from the top (not just 1 title bar lower). On my desktop half the time the title bar is under the taskbar (highly annoying with the reminder window).

Last week the VBA editor was opening postage stamp sized.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
C Outlook email progress window will not quit Using Outlook 1
S Create Outlook Task from Template and append Body with Email Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
P VBA to add email address to Outlook 365 rule Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
farrissf Outlook 2016 Optimizing Email Searches in Outlook 2016: Seeking Insights on Quick Search vs Advanced Search Features Using Outlook 0
D Outlook VBA forward the selected email to the original sender’s email ID (including the email used in TO, CC Field) from the email chain Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Email Macros to go to a SHARED Outlook mailbox Draft folder...NOT my personal Outlook Draft folder Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 365 How to integrate a third-party app with Outlook to track email and sms? Using Outlook 2
F Want to add second email to Outlook for business use Using Outlook 4
kburrows Outlook Email Body Text Disappears/Overlaps, Folders Switch Around when You Hover, Excel Opens Randomly and Runs in the Background - Profile Corrupt? Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 365 Outlook Macro to Sort emails by column "Received" to view the latest email received Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Outlook Macro to save as Email with a file name format : Date_Timestamp_Sender initial_Email subject Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Fetch, edit and forward an email with VBA outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M "Attachment Detacher for Outlook" add in, does it update the server copy of the email? Using Outlook 1
D Gmail mail is being delivered to a different email inbox in Outlook App 2021 Using Outlook 2
Albert McCann Outlook 2021 Outlook Display of HTML Email from two senders is glitchy Using Outlook 0
richardwing Auto forward email that is moves into a specific outlook folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
J Recommendations for Outlook Duplicate Email Remover Using Outlook 6
S Outlook 365 Can I change the possible range of highlighting colours when writing an Outlook email? Using Outlook 1
X Open Hyperlinks in an Outlook Email Message (Help with Diane's solution) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Email notifications changed with Outlook 2021 Using Outlook 8
glnz How to retrieve or redo Verizon.net email password without affecting Outlook connection? Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 365 refuses to send email Using Outlook 0
K Closing external IMAP email... Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
S HTML Code Embedded in String Within Open Outlook Email Preventing Replace(Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem.HTMLBody From Working Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Wrong email address in Outlook 2003 "From" tab in new outgoing emails Using Outlook 4
C Outlook 2007 Removing then adding account restores junk email processing Using Outlook 0
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
HarvMan Toggle between calendar and email in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 12
F Email being marked as Spam by Gmail and not being visible in Outlook Using Outlook 5
G Save and Rename Outlook Email Attachments Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M How to setup outlook after importing old account information - Entering email account info creates with "(1)" after the account! Using Outlook 1
D Outlook launch email showing new unread email in reading pane Using Outlook 11
K Outlook adds space to rows in HTML email signatures viewed on mobile Using Outlook 1
M HTML email signature in Outlook Using Outlook 3
M Respond to Outlook Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
U Outlook locking up when replying to Email Using Outlook 7
S Unable to extract text from an Outlook email message Using Outlook 2
P Sending email from outlook IMAP to GMAIL where embedded images are added as attachment Using Outlook 1
P i-Phone 6s Plus receiving 2 notifications from Outlook email Using Outlook 1
C WARNING - DO NOT USE AN OUTLOOK.COM ADDRESS FOR GOOGLE ACCOUNT RECOVERY EMAIL Using Outlook 10
M Outlook, send to > mail recipient - results in plain text email Using Outlook 1
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8
S Outlook email to configure setup for each mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 2013 reminder email by using Outlook vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Sending email from Office 365 alias in Outlook Using Outlook 3
L Outlook saved email templates Using Outlook 1
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
M Extract all links from Outlook email, send to Excel Using Outlook 2