Not open for further replies.

PhilBurton

OS Version(s)
  1. Windows
Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I recently download a trial of Quickfile 6, because even as an Outlook home user I thought I could really benefit from this program. Instead, after 2 days and about 4 emails to their support account, I just gave up and uninstalled the program. I'm wondering now if other people have encountered the same problems or have any comments on what I might have done wrong.

• Creating an appointment from email contents. Seemed to create appointment with time the email was received, not the future date and time of the actual appointment.
  • Elimination of the Catergorize right-click menu item. - I have about 16 custom categories that I use to color-code messages, appointments, tasks. As soon as I installed Quickfile, that right-menu item disappeared. All my custom categories also disappeared, and Outlook reverted back to the standard Red Category, Green category, etc.
  • Fortunately, when I uninstalled Quickfile the right-click menu item and the custom category list came back.
  • I got this weird message about not enough free memory when I tried to run Quickfile. "Not enough free memory to run this program." My system is a Lenovo T560 with 16 GB of RAM and a 500 GB SSD system drive. I have never had problems with something like “free memory.”
  • Inconsistent filing for copies of outgoing messages - For a lot of new sent messages, I want to file that message away. However Quickfile seems very inconsistent here. it seems like half the time a copy of the Outgoing message is properly filed. Other times that copy goes in the Sent Messages folder.
Suggestions? Cautions?

Phil Burton

Creating an appointment from email contents. Seemed to create appointment with time the email was received, not the future date and time of the actual appointment.
Is it supposed to read the contents of the mail or just move/copy it to the calendar? That's not much different from the manual way of dragging the mail to the calendar - which creates it at start of workday time today, unless you open the calendar in a new window and drag it to a date. You need to enter the correct date and time yourself.

If you do this alot, i have a macro that can read the time from the body and one that gets it from specially formatted subjects.

Elimination of the Catergorize right-click menu item. - I have about 16 custom categories that I use to color-code messages, appointments, tasks. As soon as I installed Quickfile, that right-menu item disappeared. All my custom categories also disappeared, and Outlook reverted back to the standard Red Category, Green category, etc.
I don't know about this - my clients who use it never complained about it but they may not use categories.

Did quickfile change the default data file? Changing the data file will change the categories as they are stored in the default data file.

I got this weird message about not enough free memory when I tried to run Quickfile. "Not enough free memory to run this program." My system is a Lenovo T560 with 16 GB of RAM and a 500 GB SSD system drive. I have never had problems with something like “free memory.”
That is a weird message you sometimes see with the office apps. It's really unrelated to your computer. It indicates a memory leak.

Inconsistent filing for copies of outgoing messages - For a lot of new sent messages, I want to file that message away. However Quickfile seems very inconsistent here. it seems like half the time a copy of the Outgoing message is properly filed. Other times that copy goes in the Sent Messages folder.
Did it ask you where you wanted to file the messages for that person at least once?

Is it supposed to read the contents of the mail or just move/copy it to the calendar? That's not much different from the manual way of dragging the mail to the calendar - which creates it at start of workday time today, unless you open the calendar in a new window and drag it to a date. You need to enter the correct date and time yourself.

If you do this alot, i have a macro that can read the time from the body and one that gets it from specially formatted subjects.
My understanding is that Quickfile can read the contents of an email and automatically create a calendar entry.

I would be interested in trying your macro. To be honest, I had high hopes for Quickfile. Even though I am now retired, I was willing to spend over $100 for their ultimate version, because I still use Outlook very intensively, and Quickfile seemed to improve Outlook productivity.

Side note: Like some other people I know, I am busier now than I was before I retired. And Outlook is a key part of keeping myself organized.

I don't know about this - my clients who use it never complained about it but they may not use categories.

Did quickfile change the default data file? Changing the data file will change the categories as they are stored in the default data file.
I use categories very intensively. I don't know about the changes Quickfile made. It did seem to work with my hybrid IMAP ost file (for email) and PST file (for calendar, contacts, etc.)

That is a weird message you sometimes see with the office apps. It's really unrelated to your computer. It indicates a memory leak.
That's weird. I have both a desktop and a laptop with 16 GB of RAM, both running Windows 10 64. I get this message only on the laptop.

Did it ask you where you wanted to file the messages for that person at least once?
Yes

I use the macro on this page to save email as an appointment.

I also have these macros which create appointments from specially crafted emails.

I have 13 and 32gb computers and still occasionally get the low resources. Chrome is usually the hog - I open too many tabs and don't close them. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.