I have no profile listed for Outlook!

Post number 10 has been selected as the best answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowieG

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I was troubleshooting my inability to get Outlook and iCloud to sync, and went to check my outlook profile. I found none listed, as shown below. And this is despite the fact that I have been successfully using Outlook on this computer to get email on six different email accounts. Should I create an Outlook profile? Is one necessary? If I create one now will I lose any of the emails I have downloaded on my six accounts? Many thanks.

Outlook Screenshot 2021-01-04 .png

Hold on, I may have found a profile--it depends on how I choose to get to the mail-profile window. I had been using this sequence from inside Outlook: File/Info/Account Settings/Manage Profiles, and no profile is listed.

However, if I use this sequence: Control Panel/User Accounts/Mail/Profiles/Show Profiles, then a profile called "Outlook" is listed (see below).

I this correct behavior? Which result is the correct one as far as telling if I have a valid Outlook profile?

Screenshot 2021-01-04 160537.png

You've got click-to-run, so you should see your profile using either method. If you start outlook in safe mode, do you have the profile? (It will display the profile selector dialog).

If I create one now will I lose any of the emails I have downloaded on my six accounts? Many thanks.
This depends on the account types - potentially if you use IMAP.

Thank you so much for your response. I started Win10 in safe mode and Outlook would not start. While I could click its icon in the Start menu, it was unresponsive. When I right-clicked the icon and selected compose a message, it said program not found.

Is there a difference in starting Outlook in sage mode and starting Windows in safe mode?

I just now tried to run outlook.exe/safe from the command prompt and got the following:

C:\Users\Howard>outlook.exe/safe
'outlook.exe' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Okay, I got Outlook to run in safe mode by holding down the ctrl key while starting Outlook (my previous method was perhaps for an old version of Outlook?) I got the profile-selection dialog and "Outlook" was listed as the only available profile.

Is it a cause for concern that using the "Outlook/File/Info/Account Settings/Manage Profiles" approach shows no profile, while using Control Panel or safe mode does show a profile?

outlook.exe/safe
You need a space before the /

Is it a cause for concern that using the "Outlook/File/Info/Account Settings/Manage Profiles" approach shows no profile, while using Control Panel or safe mode does show a profile?
I don't think so.

Is it listed in the registry at Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles?

You need a space before the /

I don't think so.

Is it listed in the registry at Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Outlook\Profiles?
I added the space but still got this...
cmd.png

Does this mean it is listed in the registry?
registry.png

To open Outlook in Safe mode: Close Outlook then hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon. You'll get a message asking if you want to start in Safe mode. Click Ok.
Does this mean it is listed in the registry?
Yes, the profile is in the registry, where it belongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
kburrows Outlook Email Body Text Disappears/Overlaps, Folders Switch Around when You Hover, Excel Opens Randomly and Runs in the Background - Profile Corrupt? Using Outlook 0
C Copy from one Profile to another Using Outlook 0
J Dopey move - deleted profile Using Outlook 1
F Moving Contacts to New Profile Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2013 All imported Mail Rules in error when imported into new profile Using Outlook 5
O Multiple email accounts - hesitate to create a new profile Using Outlook 3
O How come default profile changed? Using Outlook 2
B The Outlook 2016 Profile that isn't always there Using Outlook 2
T Migrating Profile/Account Settings To New PC for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
R Would creating a new profile cause Outlook to download all the old mails from the server? Using Outlook 1
R Add Exchange Account to existing POP3 Outlook 2007 Profile Using Outlook 0
D Creating an outlook session from Access vba but run silently. With A specific profile Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Creating New Profile Using Outlook 0
J Corrupt & new profile - old contacts? Using Outlook 2
I Outlook 2010 Replicating mixed PST/OST profile to another desktop Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
P Outlook 2003 - Do I need a new profile? Using Outlook 2
neobite Maximum number of Exchange accounts in an Outlook profile Using Outlook 4
V Create new profile Using Outlook 2
Lucylou Outlook 2013 Adding Outlook.com breaks profile, "Outlook not working" messag Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
C Displaying Profile Pictures in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
deonholt Address Book problem and created new profile ... Using Outlook 1
T Unable to create contacts subfolder in EAS profile Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
N Outlook user with 13 shared mailboxes open in profile Using Outlook 1
P Cannot open Options Menu Outlook 2007 and Cannot create a new profile Using Outlook 0
C Using iCloud in more than one Outlook profile Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2013 Loading Profile Using Outlook 2
O RE-install of BCM and previous sync profile conflicts BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
S New profile, Cannot Move the items Using Outlook 3
C Outlook Profile Corrupt...Help!!!!! Using Outlook 0
N How to know the email sender (windows logon profile) from a Shared Mailbox Using Outlook 2
K How to remove the (1) from an email profile? Using Outlook 2
A I have a roaming profile and when I delete emails from one computer Using Outlook 1
Y Moving outlook data/profile from windows 2010 to mac 2011 Using Outlook 3
N Email Stuck in Outbox - Cached Mode - Roaming Profile Using Outlook 2
Z IMAP and Exchange Account In One Profile - Help Using Outlook 1
M 2 exchange accounts in 1 profile - mixing sent mail folder Using Outlook 1
P Created new profile, how do I share existing contacts/calendar? Using Outlook 1
M Create new profile and import existing profile emails, address book, settings Using Outlook 4
R Simple Sharing of Outlook Profile Using Outlook 1
Z Move outlook 2010 profile from one computer to another Using Outlook 7
J [outlook-users] Icloud + Mapi profile + Using Outlook 1
L BCM add-in disappears when changing profile BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
D Reminders Problema after Profile Account Windows 7 Using Outlook 13
J Account, profile, and PST naming in Outlook 2010 IMAP Using Outlook 2
D Question Re: Changing Exchange Profile due to Hosting Change Exchange Server Administration 4
R Problems sending via POP profile when offline from Exchange Using Outlook 7
T Profile Corruption Using Outlook 1
D Migrating One Profile Files to Another Exchange Server Administration 2
Z All of a sudden Microsoft outlook 2007 lost its profile Using Outlook 18
Z Missing email accounts even though they show in my Outlook 2007 profile Using Outlook 3