Status
Not open for further replies.

JandS

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Outlook 2010, 32-bit, on 64-bit W7, IMAP

I'm reinstalling Outlook on a new system and having difficulty controlling the naming of the account, profile, and PST to suit my own preferences.

Can anybody explain

1) which element corresponds to the "name" displayed at the top of the folders list in Outlook (the folder list that displays on the left side),

2) which step in the account or profile setup that this name is specified

3) how (if at all) the account or profile naming corresponds to the eventual name of the PST.

The reason I ask is that somehow I'm getting the PST being displayed in the "Account Settings > Data Files" as a hyphenated, two-part name, possibly composed of the IMAP provider's name plus "space-hyphen-space" and the Outlook profile name. I'm old school, I don't like spaces and hyphens in file names and I didn't intend the filename to be this.

My system is getting littered with mal-named PSTs and multiple profiles/accounts I just want to get on with things!

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You have little control over pst names for IMAP accounts. Outlook names them using your email address and profile name, which is what you are seeing. You can't rename IMAP pst files.

You can rename pst files used by pop accountsfor for archives.

JandS

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Ah, yes, I see some that have the email in the name, too. Double ick. :( Perhaps 2010's current naming convention is different than it was in earlier versions, then, as I think I brought forward some PSTs from long ago (v. 2003) that were not named this way.

So as far as the name that's shown above the folders, then, it looks like that's the profile name?

You have little control over pst names for IMAP accounts. Outlook names them using your email address and profile name, which is what you are seeing. You can't rename IMAP pst files.

You can rename pst files used by pop accountsfor for archives.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T Migrating Profile/Account Settings To New PC for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
R Add Exchange Account to existing POP3 Outlook 2007 Profile Using Outlook 0
O Add please, Outlook Autocomplete working per account in multi profile ! Outlook Wishlist 5
Z IMAP and Exchange Account In One Profile - Help Using Outlook 1
D Reminders Problema after Profile Account Windows 7 Using Outlook 13
J Outlook 2010: Possible to config per Profile junk list instead of per account? Using Outlook 2
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 2
E Conditional formatting - when current account <> received account ? Using Outlook 3
M Microsoft 365 Outlook keeps requesting password on Local Account Using Outlook 1
E Change sending account depending on Subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R How to get the Items object of the default mailbox of a specific account in a multiple account Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Auto display of new email does not work on non-default account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
O Email not leaving Outbox when using Excel VBA to sync Outlook account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
D Outlook 2016 Migrate 'On My Computer' (local storage) Calendar from Mac Outlook to Exchange Account Using Outlook 5
Marc2019 Need help please! Cannot Setup my outlook email account on my Mac Outlook 2011 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
W Receiving mail for account that has been deleted Using Outlook 2
M Gmail is not downloading in my outlook account Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
W Account icons Outlook for Android Using Outlook 1
Marc2019 Setting up an Outlook Account on Mac Os 10.6.8 Outlook 2011 Using Outlook 1
Marc2019 Cannot setup Outlook Account on Mac Os 10.6.8 Using Outlook 3
V Scheduled backup of imap account Using Outlook 7
A Created a new user account and the local account cannot see email Using Outlook 3
R How Can I backup office 365 account? Exchange Server Administration 1
T Cannot connect to main BT email account, sub accts okay Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Assigning a newly (re)created e-mail account to a specific .pst data file Using Outlook 2
Z Account setup on Android Using Outlook 3
D Adding Enterprise Exchange Email Account to Outlook Prevents Sending via Outlook.com Account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 10
H Custom Signature Not Displayed When Account Selected Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
F Send As a Gmail account via outlook Web Using Outlook 3
X Unable to send an email from one account to another on same PC Using Outlook 2
Z Script to set account? Using Outlook 0
T Outlook changes default account Using Outlook 1
P Account Changes Using Outlook 4
N Copies of emails from rules have wrong from: account Using Outlook 0
S Add Exchange Account as Secondary to Existing PST? Exchange Server Administration 1
M Inbox not showing to deliver new email to this account Using Outlook 3
A Replies being sent from wrong account Using Outlook 8
V Autocomplete not working on new email account Using Outlook 4
W Sending To Wrong Account Using Outlook 15
H Select Specific Account When Sending Email, Based on Current Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
I Convert POP3 account (PST) to IMAP (.OST) Using Outlook 3
CWM030 MSN Account.. Oh boy what have I done? Using Outlook 1
R Unable to install without email account Using Outlook 4
B Moving account, contacts & emails to another H/D with MSOutlook Using Outlook 5
E Unable to open Outlook 2010 after adding new email account Using Outlook 4
M MsgBox when not sending from specified account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Example VBA Macro - To Conditionally Change the From Account and Add a BCC Address on Emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
O Adding a new account - "CompanyL (none)" line is added Using Outlook 5
L Need to import multiple Outlook files to Office 365 Account Using Outlook 4