Status
Not open for further replies.

mwhalen

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi there,

I have a user that moved about 500 contacts from her Hotmail account (MAPI connection via Outlook) to an Exchange account.

Here's what happens:

1. Open a contact.

2. Click Forward, in Internet Format (vCard)

3. The resulting email comes up with the vCard attached, but the From field is visible and it references the email address of the Hotmail account.

If she tries to send the email via the Exchange server (the only server, she has migrated from Hotmail). The email rightly bounces since she doesn't have permission to Send As her Hotmail account via the Exchange server.

If she simply deletes the name within From, the vCard sends properly.

In investigating the fields, I found that the old email address is listed in the From field under the All Post Fields section for the Contact. It's not editable.

I have a chance to re-do the contacts. They have not been removed from Hotmail, though the account and Outlook Connector have been removed. At the moment, the main fix I see is to purchase a third-party product, export all the cards as vCards, and reimport them. I have verified that will work.

I'm hoping for a better solution! :)

FWIW: Sue Mosher spoke about this with a user once before.

Thanks!!

Mike...

As she said in that thread, it's unexpected behavior. The From field is for refrence only. I will test it with my accounts and see if i can repro, but as long as the contacts are in exchange, they should Forward using exchange. I have seen a similar problem with templates - they always used the default account - so ts possible the same bug is affecting the contacts.

Is that her only email account? I have VBA that will always use a specific account - I don't know if it will help though.

Ok, i repro'd it. I understand why it's doing it, but I don't think it should - i'll talk to the guys about it.

Is the hotmail account in the profile? It was my exerience that once it as removed, outlook used the Exchange account as the from address when forwarding. If it boucned with the account removed, add the from field to the form (options tab) - what address is listed as the From address.

Ok, i repro'd it. I understand why it's doing it, but I don't think it should - i'll talk to the guys about it.

Is the hotmail account in the profile? It was my exerience that once it as removed, outlook used the Exchange account as the from address when forwarding. If it boucned with the account removed, add the from field to the form (options tab) - what address is listed as the From address.

Hey Diane,

Thank you so much for trying (and succeeding at) reproducing it. I appreciate that.

You asked about the Hotmail account being in the profile. It is not, but it was. I didn't create a new profile when I connected Outlook to the Exchange server. After that, we copied the contacts from the MAPI-based Hotmail Contacts folder to the Exchange Contacts folder and then removed the Hotmail account and the Outlook Connector. We noticed the problem when she tried to send a vCard generated from one of the copied Contacts in her Exchange account.

The From: field appears automatically when we try to forward the vCard. I don't have to activate it. The user's Hotmail address is already in that field. If I delete the address, the mail will get sent from the Exchange account, no Send As.

I think I've proven that I can export all the contacts as a csv and import them. At least, I've tried exporting the contacts from Hotmail's web UI and importing them into a PST. I don't see any data loss, but there are 485 contacts so I am understandably concerned.

However, the user has pretty much used Outlook to manage her Hotmail contacts the entire time she used the service. Because of that, I really don't think I'd run into any field mis-mappings. Furthermore, I can export the contacts from Outlook directly, which would preserve the common Outlook fields, scour the csv for that wacky from field, strip it out if necessary, then reimport the contacts. Should work. I'll be able to try it next week. Probably Tuesday.

Thanks for your help!!

My repro steps: Added Exchange account to my Hotmail profile. Dragged the contacts over to the Exchange contacts folder. Forwarded one - From field was hotmail address. Removed hotmail from profie so only the exchange acct was in the profile. Enabled the From field (it oly shows by default if there are 2 or more accounts) and the exchange account was in the from field (as i expected). I sent it - it was delivered.

Exporting /Importing will not be a probem, but it also should not be necessary.

My repro steps: Added Exchange account to my Hotmail profile. Dragged the contacts over to the Exchange contacts folder. Forwarded one - From field was hotmail address. Removed hotmail from profie so only the exchange acct was in the profile. Enabled the From field (it oly shows by default if there are 2 or more accounts) and the exchange account was in the from field (as i expected). I sent it - it was delivered.

Exporting /Impoern willno be a probem, but it also shoud not be necessary.

Interesting. When I get in front of the workstation I'll perform a couple of tests. Maybe I didn't look closely enough when I removed the Hotmail account. I'd do it myself now but the user has Outlook 2007 and I only have copies of 2010.

Here's an update on this problem.

For whatever reason -- and I am sure there's something different here -- removing the Hotmail account did _not_ result in the From field de-populating.

In the end, I wound up:

1. Creating a new Outlook profile.

2. Attaching Hotmail to that profile.

3. Copying the Contacts to a separate PST.

4. Verifying that the copied contacts did not have a populated From field. (They did not.)

5. Closing Outlook, removing profile, uninstalling Hotmail connector, etc.

6. Opening up original Hotmail profile, attaching PST, and copying Contacts back in.

7. Working with user to point out new additions and changed items. (Very few.)

Status
Not open for further replies.