Status
Not open for further replies.

Glyn

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
Hi,
Just registered here after having a number of useful responses from you in Microsoft Answers forum.
I also read your article on vCards and Outlook, which i am currently on a mission to have all my contacts from various phones, iphones etc. organised within Outlook
I find MS Outlook the best place to keep sort and organise stuff. Once its in there that is !

So, vCards can be either multiple or collected all in one vcf file.
Just wondering if there are any advantages; disadvantages or preferences of one method over the other?
I will prob store my contacts backups in this format

Thanks
G

Outlook cannot currently use a vcard file that contains multiple cards, it needs one card per contact. Obviously, the easiest way to store the vcards is in a multi-vcard, but Outlook can't do it. :(

Thankyou for the Reply,,,
I have a number of backup Contacts now ,,, in various forms;
1) vcf (from old iphones)
2) Backup pst's ,,, some which ive tried to combine (or is it Merge? or is it Link ?or is it sync? ,,, very messie this auto Link stuff )
3) And even some csv's where ive tried to sort manually

The main problem ive had is that things seem to import/copy/sync ,, whatever ,,, all ok
But then on closer investigation (as time goes by). one finds that Hmm ,,, that import I did 3weeks ago ,, well it didn't bring across all my Numbers ,,, why? , because it didn't recognise that particular Field, Or even worse it imports the number and overwrites an existing number in a different field ,,, bad Field mapping?
Lots of other stumbling blocks as I try to sort this mess ,,,
Even Outlook 2013 and "People" in Live.com has a Mismatch of Fields ,,,
Nothing worse then thinking ive got Numbers on my phone contacts (phones a good place for them)
Then I go select there name from phone contacts (on myphone) ,, and well no number there :( , so I delete it from the phone thinking its useless having a name without any details ,,, Hmmm another Mistake ,,, because The Number was there in Outlook 2013, And,,,
Because my phone contacts are syncing to Outlook 2013, via Outlook Live (is that how it works?)
Well ,,, I just Deleted all record of possible valuable information ,,,

I am also tempted to start from scratch with all my contacts and go through old hand written diaries ,Yellow pages or something ,,, Do people still keep there details n things like that? ,,, yellowPages / WhitePages

Ok,,,
You can see the Can of worms a guy like me can get into as i ramble on with my semi puter literate thinkings
I'll report back here with how I finally finish up with this :)

G

1. vcf from iphones are multi's - they need imported into gmail and exported as CSV, mapping the fields during import.

2. backup psts: open the pst and move or copy the contacts. If you link contacts using the Contacts field, you need to move them to better preserve the links. (Linking is mostly gone in outlook 2013, so it might not matter). This method should always work as expected, with the fields kept. However, if you have existing contacts you'll be asked to merge duplicate contacts, although it can be disabled in File, Options, People.

3. csv's need to have the fields mapped during import.

My preference is #2, backup copies of the pst.

The main fields in outlook.com should map correctly - I know web page address didn't and a couple of others don't. What some people do is keep a copy of the details in the notes field, because search on the phone finds everything that way and its easier to view the details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
L Importing multiple record from .vcf (vCard) file Using Outlook 5
V Import multiple vCard files!!!!!!! PLEASE HELP Using Outlook 2
M vCard does not have user-defined fields from my custom contact form (365) Using Outlook 1
E Contact's Notes field not transferring when forwarding vCard Using Outlook 6
V Vcard problem Using Outlook 0
M Forwarding vCard prompts Send As (From field) on Contacts that were moved Using Outlook 6
R Select Multiple Graphic Objects Using Outlook 0
Hornblower409 Automatically or Manually Backup Multiple Versions of VbaProject.OTM Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Modify VBA to create a RULE to block multiple messages Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Outlook 365 Multiple different Signatures on Shared Mailbox Using Outlook 0
R Advise on using multiple instances of network files based on customers Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
D multiple email accounts - why do I have to choose the "from" account address?? Using Outlook 2
J Outlook Rules VBA Run a Script - Multiple Rules Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C How to search for items in Outbox with multiple accounts? Using Outlook 20
K How to share multiple calendar items Using Outlook 1
K Multiple copies of task being created Using Outlook 2
S Auto forward for multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K Multiple Rules on Single Email Using Outlook 2
Cathy Rhone gmail listed multiple times Using Outlook 3
H Synchronize contacts and calendars across multiple devices Using Outlook 0
V Outlook 2016 Multiple recurring tasks getting created Using Outlook 0
K can't get custom form to update multiple contacts using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Globalforester ItemAdd Macro - multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Multiple calendars Using Outlook 0
C Multiple emails Using Outlook 8
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 2
E Asking user to select multiple options in a list in an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Multiple signatures Using Outlook 2
O Outlook tasks - Add text column with multiple lines Using Outlook 3
R How to get the Items object of the default mailbox of a specific account in a multiple account Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
I Saving attachments from multiple emails and updating file name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Multiple Inboxes Using Outlook 3
RBLampert Accessing Outlook accounts from multiple computers Using Outlook 8
Martull Forced signature when multiple accounts exist Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
T Outlook 2010 Correct way to map multiple contact fields Using Outlook 4
Y Open and Save Hyperlink Files in multiple emails Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
O Multiple email accounts - hesitate to create a new profile Using Outlook 3
papa.deblanc Multiple Instances Using Outlook 6
V Multiple Calendars in Outlook To-Do Bar; Office 365 Using Outlook 3
A Add multiple servers "on behalf of" email to "safe senders" list. Using Outlook 1
M possible to search Outlook for multiple email addresses at once? Using Outlook 1
C Macro to add multiple recipients to message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
D [TOOL] QuickModules to sort emails very quickly to multiple folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Multiple Outlook Invites Received by One Person Using Outlook 4
N Selecting multiple calendar items Using Outlook 4
F Sharepoint tasks from multiple accounts in To-Do List Using Outlook 8
N Multiple instances of Outlook on Start Menu Using Outlook 2
D Edit Subject (Multiple Accounts) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B VBA Macro for assigning multiple Categories to an email in my Inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L Need to import multiple Outlook files to Office 365 Account Using Outlook 4