Multiple instances of Outlook on Start Menu

Status
Not open for further replies.

nrpardee

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have two instances of the office programs in the start menu after a reinstallation done by an MS technician. He was trying to solve three problems:
1. File, such as PST/OST, are in a weird directory. That seemed to be the result of Outlook starting life as a 30 day trial and becoming licensed through the PC vendor I purchased Outlook through. C:\Users\nrpar\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook_AppX\nrpardee@gmail.com.ostC:\Users\nrpar\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Outlook_AppX\
The installation was also weird- did not appear in the normal Program Files (x86). Consequently, although I could do a search to find scanpast and find it, I could not run it.
2. I was getting draft emails left behind sometimes after sending the email. He tried to fix this by changing the wait time to autosave a draft file, but that didn't help. I'm thinking this was actually the fault of using Quickfile.
3. Office nor the office programs did not appear in the start menu or Control Panel, but I was able to run them! and they appeared on the task bar (I think I started them by opening a file, although how I initially started Outlook I don't remember. I got them on the taskbar by the right click menu when they were running). He created a new user, where Office was on the Start menu, and then uninstalled it. Interestingly, he uninstalled the individual programs, e.g., Word, Outlook, ... which you aren't supposed to be able to do. He then reinstalled through my Microsoft account. Now, I have two instances off the office programs on my start menu (note they didn't show up "doubled" right away).
Thanks in advance for any help.

Weird directory: that indicates the Windows Store app. It's beginning to be preinstalled by OEMs on new computers.
More info on it: The Windows Store Outlook App

>> I was getting draft emails left behind sometimes after sending the email.
In the drafts folder? What type of email account? This is not uncommon with imap.

>> Office nor the office programs did not appear in the start menu or Control Panel,
They should be on the start menu, but won't be in add/remove and the Mail applet is not in Control panel with the store app.

>> Interestingly, he uninstalled the individual programs, e.g., Word, Outlook, ... which you aren't supposed to be able to do.
That is how you uninstall the store apps. You can install them as individual apps from the store too. But not from office.com

>> Now, I have two instances off the office programs on my start menu (note they didn't show up "doubled" right away).
Did you reboot after uninstalling the apps? That can cause weirdness. Do the shortcuts work? I have two My Office shortcuts but only one works. (My Office is a new dashboard app for Office.)

Weird directory: that indicates the Windows Store app. It's beginning to be preinstalled by OEMs on new computers.
More info on it: The Windows Store Outlook App

>> I was getting draft emails left behind sometimes after sending the email.
In the drafts folder? What type of email account? This is not uncommon with imap.

Yep, Imap. The problem seems to have gone away now that Outlook disabled Quickfile for starting too slowly.

>> Office nor the office programs did not appear in the start menu or Control Panel,
They should be on the start menu, but won't be in add/remove and the Mail applet is not in Control panel with the store app.

Hmmm. I might be misremebering - they might have been on the start menu. They definitely were not in add/remove on my account. But they were there on the account the MS tech created. As you say, he uninstalled them from there. And they uninstalled very fast.

>> Interestingly, he uninstalled the individual programs, e.g., Word, Outlook, ... which you aren't supposed to be able to do.
That is how you uninstall the store apps. You can install them as individual apps from the store too. But not from office.com

>> Now, I have two instances off the office programs on my start menu (note they didn't show up "doubled" right away).
Did you reboot after uninstalling the apps? That can cause weirdness. Do the shortcuts work? I have two My Office shortcuts but only one works. (My Office is a new dashboard app for Office.)

I don't remember if the tech did a reboot. I only have one My Office in the Start Menu, and it works, but as I already said, two entries for each Office app. I discovered last night that my jumplist for Office programs in the taskbar doesn't include files I opened by clicking on the files. That led me to check the two entries for Word in my Start Menu, and one is pinned to the task bar and one is not. I can't see how to look at the properties of those entries to learn where they exactly point. I've searched for every entry of "start menu" on the hard drive, and can't find any that point at office or individual office programs. I could be missing some- there are quite a few start menu entries. What's also weird is that there are a number of directories and shortcuts that are off limits, even with hidden files revealed and Hide protected operating system files turned off. I can't find out things I'm used to being able to find.

Suffice it to say that I don't much like these Windows app store app installations. I hope I'm not stuck with it, as I purchased my app through my vendor, Dell, and went through their online process to license my installation. that said, the MS tech did this latest installation through my MS account.

I think I'm back to wiping everything out, both the installation AND the data for Office and it's programs. I'm concerned that any vestiges in the office configuration files or the registry will steer future installations back to this weird configuration. Or maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks so much for the help

Status
Not open for further replies.