Preventing conversation from moving to the top of the message box?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhs0

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi,

When using the conversation view, the default is that when a new message in the conversation arrives, the whole conversation moves to the "top" of the message box, in other words, it uses the most recent visible mail to sort instead of the earliest visible mail. I read my mail in the order it is received, so this behavior doesn't make sense to me.

Is there any way to turn off that behavior so that the conversation is sorted by the earliest visible mail in the thread?

Thanks!

If you sort by oldest, not newest, it should work as you want/

Thanks for your quick reply Diane! Unfortunately, if I'm understanding your suggestion correctly, that's not the case. The conversation is always sorted by the receipt date of the latest visible mail in the inbox regardless of whether sorting by "newest on top" or "oldest on top"... I prefer to sort by oldest on top.

BTW, I'm using Outlook 2010.

Any other ideas?

Which view are you using? When i change it to oldest first, the oldest thread is on top and the conversations within a thread are in date order too. Unless everyone is using Outlook, the threads may not thread properly, so they may be out of order according to the message a reply is responding too, but will be sorted by date.

sort-order.jpg

Hi Diane,

Again, thanks for the follow up. I'm using the same view as in the screenshot. Sorry, I may not be explaining my question right.

In the screenshot you sent, you can see that the date of the mail right before the "Microsoft Outlook Test Message" conversation group is "Thu 12/27/2012 2:43PM", while the earliest visible message in the "Microsoft Outlook Test Message" conversation group is "Mon 12/24/2012 1:30PM". I don't want this behavior. I want the "Microsoft Outlook Test Message" conversation group to be sorted by the earliest date, which is "Mon 12/24/2012 1:30PM". I think the conversation group should fall right after the mail "Outlook Tips for December 24 2012" which is dated "Mon 12/24/2012 8:53AM".

Does that make sense? Is there anyway to do that?

Marc

Ah. Now i understand - you want the group header to use the date from first message in the thread. That is not possible. Sorry.

Hi,

Okay, thanks. Is it just me or is that a strange behavior? Do people read their newest emails first?

Marc

guilty as charged. :) I sort newest first because i don't want to scroll to the bottom all the time to read mail and i don't move old mail out of my inbox. i read it frequently enough that i usually only have a few messages unread. If i have a lot, i'll start at the bottom of the 'today' group.

I don't have any stats, but it's my observation that the breakdown is 75% sort newest first, 25% prefer oldest first.

(I used to read the last chapter of books first... kindle broke that habit.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
H Preventing the 'email address fetch from Exchange' crashing email reading code Exchange Server Administration 0
S HTML Code Embedded in String Within Open Outlook Email Preventing Replace(Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem.HTMLBody From Working Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
G Bcc help - Preventing multiple forwards from a bcc'd distribution group Using Outlook 1
H Preventing the Send button from being clicked on an Outlook Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Preventing users to disable an Outlook Add-in Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
mrrobski68 Issue with Find messages in a conversation macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Clean Up Conversation Anomaly? Using Outlook 4
P Posts in Folder No Longer Group by Conversation Column After Search Using Outlook 0
G Alerting on missed emails in conversation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Disable conversation thread from replying of recipients in the same subject. Please help Using Outlook 0
S Conditional Formatting for messages in a Conversation thread Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2013 Replace Subject with Conversation (a "hidden" value). Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N Move emails of same conversation to same subfolder Using Outlook 6
I get count of all emails with same conversation ID Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Emails sorted by conversation including replies and categorized by color. Using Outlook 1
A Email Subject and Conversation Topic Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
Y Move new messages to personal folder which already contains this conversation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
oliv- How to select an mailitem in explorer with "show as conversation" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
P Outlook 2013 Conversation View vs. 2007 Using Outlook 1
Justo Horrillo It's possible to modify the behaviour of the conversation option? Using Outlook 2
F Outlook group by conversation problem Using Outlook 1
C Custom Forms: Question about retaining form information throughout the entire conversation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Outlook 2013 conversation view ... missing links Using Outlook 3
R Vba Conversation Index property Using Outlook 0
A some email not shown in conversation Using Outlook 2
P problem with set up group by conversation in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
D Move email to same folder as the rest of the conversation Using Outlook 1
C 'Show as conversation' query Using Outlook 0
A Conversation cleanup Using Outlook 1
R Deleting one email in a conversation deletes all Using Outlook 6
K Move conversation to folder after replying Using Outlook 1
H Formatting of email conversation print outs - URGENT Using Outlook 1
E Conversation Folder in multiple accounts Using Outlook 3
F Automatically delete previous messages in a conversation Using Outlook 2
G fix client/server conversation error message Exchange Server Administration 1
R How to remove an email from a grouped conversation Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
N Finding messages by conversation macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Reply to Outlook messages by moving messages to a specific Outlook folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Moving from 2010 to 365 Using Outlook 3
O Moving "tasks" to inbox in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
F Moving Outlook to new PC Using Outlook 0
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
A Moving Public Folders to New Database Exchange Server Administration 3
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
glnz Moving from Outlook 2003 to MS365 Outlook - need basics Using Outlook 4
E Having some trouble with a run-a-script rule (moving mail based on file type) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
F Moving Contacts to New Profile Using Outlook 0
J Moving Imported folder Using Outlook 2
J Outlook 2016 Moving IMAP emails to Exchange Using Outlook 1