BCM Use with Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are no 'compatibility' issues - Windows likes to say that when something isn't right. I know running outlook in compatibility mode is bad - it causes more problems and shouldn't be used. I can only assume that its the same for BCM.

I'm out of ideas. I don't think its related to the 2 SQL installs.

Nor do I. I'm going to attach the logs that BCM created in my %AppData%\Local\Temp\ directory. Maybe you can see something I don't. I did notice that in one of the logs it says that I'm running Windows Vista!? I have no idea.

I have one more in the next message.

Attachments

• BCMrebootcheckg0Pu.txt
    467 bytes · Views: 604
  • BCMoscheck4oTw.txt
    402 bytes · Views: 553
  • BCMdeletefSql.txt
    33 bytes · Views: 578
  • BCMsyscompsN7nJ.txt
    66 bytes · Views: 604
The last file, was originally name wizard.exe.config . Please let me know if you see anything. Where else can I look for help?

Thank you.

David

Attachments

• SqlSetup_Local.txt
    6.6 KB · Views: 586
  • wizard.exe.txt
    4.8 KB · Views: 898
Are you using vista? Do you have office 2013 working? I didn't think it was supported on Vista - and that could be why its erroring.

The office website says PC: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012

Are you using vista? Do you have office 2013 working? I didn't think it was supported on Vista - and that could be why its erroring.

The office website says PC: Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows Server 2008 R2, or Windows Server 2012

No, I never had Windows Vista, I stuck with XP. About three years ago, I made the switch. I have Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 [32-bit] with MS Office 2013 Professional Plus [32-bit]. I keep my Windows 7 Ult SP1 up to date with all the recent updates. I'm at a loss.

Thank You.

David

The BCM os check file has this:

BCM Setup checking OS version.

Version is 6.0 SP 0.

Product types are: [1] Workstation, [2] Domain Controller, and [3] Server.

This product type is 1.

Processor type is x86.

Supported OS types: [1] Xp32SP3_32, [2] Srvr2003R2_32, [3] Srvr2003R2_64, [4] Vista_32, [5] Vista_64, [6] Srvr2008_32, [7] Srvr2008_64, [8] Win7_32, [9] Win7_64, [10] Srvr2008R2_32, [11] Srvr2008R2_64.

This OS is type 4.

The installer thinks you have 32-bit Vista. (It's interesting that Win8 is not listed as supported, not that it matters to you, since you have win7, which is listed.)

I know, I saw that too! What, BCM doesn't work Vista now? Is there a patch/fix or what ever from M$ so it shows my correct OS, which is Windows 7 Ult SP1 [31-bit]. I never had and never will have Vista, my sister has it and I don't like it. BTW, I decided to go to the MS TechNet forums and post my question there along with all my logs, which I uploaded here. I did that yesterday, when I left here. So far forty people have read it, but no one has replied. If you want, here is the link: Microsoft TechNet Forums . I tried to insert the link, but every time I typed or did a return, it wouldn't stop with the blue underline score thing. IF anyone can figure out how I can get around this problem I'm having, I would appreciate it very much.

Thank You.

David

BCM works with Vista AFAIK - but Outlook 2013 doesn't. The new BCM works with both 2010 and 2013, so whether it works with vista would depend on which version of outlook.

BCM works with Vista AFAIK - but Outlook 2013 doesn't. The new BCM works with both 2010 and 2013, so whether it works with vista would depend on which version of outlook.

Okay, then I shouldn't have any problems installing the new BCM with Outlook 2013. But I am having problems. I even went to the point of Repairing my Windows 7 Ult SP1 [32-bit] from my original boot disk, then I tried to install the new BCM, and I received the same results. So far no one has replied to my posting on the MS Tech Net forums.

Thank You.

Okay, I just got back from MS TechNet Forums. This person has the exact same problem as I have. I quite didn't understand how he got it to work, but can you explain how he did it?

Thank You.

ChipStewart

1 May 2013 3:20 PM

#

Been having problems with install, and don't know where else to ask, so forgive this post.

System: OS - Windows 7 64 bit pro, recently installed on fresh hard drive

(1) Uninstalled Office 2010 Pro

(2) Installed Office 2013 Pro Plus

(3) Tried to install BCM (BCM2010-BCMSetup-x64-en-US.exe) - and have spent the past six days (on and off) trying to get it installed. I've installed and uninstalled dozens of times trying every combination. So far, here are some of the error messages I've received:

Setup for Business Contact Manager for Microsoft Outlook cannot continue installing Business Contact Manager for Microsoft OUtlook because the setup program did not install the following component: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express (MSSMLBIZ)

Setup for Business Contact Manager for Microsoft Outlook cannot upgrade the installed version of SQL Server Express to SQL Server Express 2008. Remove the installed version of SQL Server Express before installing Business Contact Manager. [NOTE - there was no prior SQL Server before this]

Cannot continue installing Business Contact Manager for Microsoft OUtlook because the setup program did not install the following component: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express (MSSMLBIZ).

A log file, which is useful if you contact Customer Services, is stored in the following location: C\Users\[User Name]\AppData\Local\Temp\BCMSetup\WIzardtmpA3CE.log

[After complete un-installation, including scrubbing registry of MS Sql references]

Business Contact Manager for Microsoft Outlook failed to install. If you have another version of SQL Server Installed, try uninstalling it. Restart the Computer and run Business Contact Manager setup again.

[Attempted another installation immediately after above and got this]

Cannot continue installing Business Contact Manager for Microsoft OUtlook because the setup program did not install the following component: Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express (MSSMBIZ).

A log file, which is useful if you contact Customer Support Services, is stored in the following location: c:\Charles R. Stewart\AppData\Local\Temp\BCMSetupWizardtmpD268.log

I really want to get this up and running. Does anyone have step-by-step instructions on setting up SQL server first (I assume that would work right?), or anything else that might help? Should I post my BCM Setup Wizard log here?

Thanks,

Chip Stewart

ChipStewart

2 May 2013 8:35 AM

#

Okay, got it. I opened SQL Installation Center and manually created a instance named MSSMLBIZ with the server account "NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE" and added for sys admin accounts myself (currently logged it) and "Administrators". It installed, I tried re-installing BCM -

A N D I T W O R K E D ! ! !

Now I just need to read up on how to use / customize it. I'll be using it to organize client contact, workflow management, etc. for my solo law firm. Anyone have any good links on customization for law firms?

The BOLD part is the part I don't understand how to do/create. Can anyone guide me how to do this?

Again, Thank You in advanced. :)

I was going to record a video for you but the sql installation wizard is goofy.

Open the sql server installation center

click installation - choose top option for New SQL

it dies on me at this point and won't let me pick a folder but you'll need to follow the steps and set up a new instance.

Call it MSSMLBIZ

When it asks for the account, choose the network service account

You'll need to add accounts for Admins after its installed, using sql manager.

I was going to record a video for you but the sql installation wizard is goofy.

Open the sql server installation center

click installation - choose top option for New SQL

it dies on me at this point and won't let me pick a folder but you'll need to follow the steps and set up a new instance.

Call it MSSMLBIZ

When it asks for the account, choose the network service account

You'll need to add accounts for Admins after its installed, using sql manager.

Thank you! I'm sort of having a problem selecting a folder to install SQL Server 2008 Installation Media. Every time I pick a folder it tells me its not a valid installation folder.

SQLServer-0.jpg SQLServer-1.jpg

As you can see, SQL Server 2008 will not let me choose a folder, and I'm running as Admin when I was attempting this. Am I missing something or doing something wrong? I even went into the advanced options with the same results. See below:

SQLServer-2.jpg

Any help would really be appreciated. Again, thank you for your assistance. :)

David

I was getting that too- that's why I said it was goofy. :)

I found this: FIX: When you install SQL Server 2008, the installation fails, and the "Attributes do not match" error message is logged in the Summary.txt file

Also found one that said the folder needs to exist and can't have invalid characters.

Also found some who said you need to run the original installation files, not the one from the configuration app.

Thank you, I just finished downloading the file listed above. As far as the folder needs to exist and can't have invalid characters, as you could see from my screen shots, the folder did exist and didn't contain any invalid characters.

I don't quite understand what you mean my run the original installation files, and not the one from the configuration app. Do you mean I have to run and install again, BCM 2013 over? Every time I do, it doesn't give me the screen to set up a new instance and call it MSSMLBIZ.

I'll install the Hot Fix I just downloaded and I'll let you know if that fixed anything. Again, allot of the examples you mention above, I never had. I can't even install it in Users/My Name/ folder as you can see from the screen shots.

Thank you.

David

I don't quite understand what you mean my run the original installation files, and not the one from the configuration app. Do you mean I have to run and install again, BCM 2013 over? Every time I do, it doesn't give me the screen to set up a new instance and call it MSSMLBIZ.

The information I found said SQL needed to be installed from the original files.

The information I found said SQL needed to be installed from the original files.

Okay, from what you said above, I went to the Microsoft download page and downloaded the "Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition". Correct me if I'm wrong, you want me to install the SQL from the original files, which are the file(s) I just downloaded from the Microsoft download page (Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition), correct?

Again, I thank you in advance.

David

If you are trying to use full sql, yes. At this point, I'd probably uninstall SQL and BCM and see if BCM installs it correctly.

If you are trying to use full sql, yes. At this point, I'd probably uninstall SQL and BCM and see if BCM installs it correctly.

I thought that was a good idea too, until I tried to uninstall it. It told me that it will affect the SQL 2012 version. Now, should I uninstall the 2012 version first then the 2008 version next, or will both of them give me the same error, and I should ignore it?

Thinking about that now, when I go to install BCM 2013, won't it attempt to install SQL server 2008 again, because I had SQL Server 2012 already installed before I installed BCM 2013? Well, I'm going to try diving into the water before seeing how cold it is, so I'll uninstall BOTH versions (2008 & 2012) of SQL server.

One last thing, I attempted to install SQL Server 2008 (full install from MS Website) and it gave me an error. See picture below:

Server2008-Error-1.jpg

I copied the text of the error View attachment SQLServer2008-Error-1.txt and I hope you can see what's going on with my setup.

Lastly, I have to say that you and the Administrator have been very patient and very helpful to me, and I really want you to know that I am very appreciative of you both. This is a learning experience for me. Who says you stop learning when you get older? Hopefully, I'll still be learning until my last day.
Thank You Very Much! :D

Diane Poremsky and Forum Admin,

Just wanted to let you all know that your support has been exemplary, and I would not have gotten BCM 2013 installed correctly with all the help and understanding. :D For everyone else, please read this thread completely before attempting to install BCM 2013 for Outlook 2013. You HAVE to go to Microsoft's website and download the FULL installation of BCM2013 for your type of OS [32-bit / 64-bit], which you can download from here : business contact manager for outlook 2013 - Search Results - Microsoft Download Center . Then you have to download MS SQL Server2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition, which you can download from here: Download Microsoft® SQL Server® 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition from Official Microsoft Download Center. Before you install anything, make sure Outlook isn't running (just in case, I did to be on the safe side) Now you can install MS SQL Server2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition. Be warned, this could take some time (it took me about five (5) hours to install). When it asks you to setup a new instance, DO NOT go with the default, use MSSMLBIZ. They rest should be somewhat simple from there on. Once finished, I suggest that you reboot (you really don't have to, but I did so there could be no mistake).

Now, after all this was done successfully, you can now install BCM 2103, which you first downloaded. This process should only take you a few minutes, if you correctly installed MS SQL Server 2008 R2 SP2 - Express Edition. Once BCM is successfully installed, NOW you can start Outlook 2013, and BCM 2013 Window should come up to create a Database. You can choose the default, or use the custom, which you can name your database!

I hope that someone will find this helpful, because I could not find any specific instructions on how to go about doing this. Again, Thank You Diane Poremsky and Forum Admin for being patient with me! :D:D

Sincerely,

David

ps I'll be back, if anything to help other Outlook users. I've been using Outlook/MS Office back in 1998!

As an FYI, BCM should download and install SQL automatically. At least the full file will - the small update patch won't because SQL is already installed. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.