Office 2016 Outlook is forgetting passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maple

Outlook version
Outlook 2021 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
After a recent major Win 10 update, I find that Outlook is forgetting passwords.
I have tried a MSoft fix which among others things created a new profile with no success.
Grateful for any tips to fix this

you have to use some professional tool to solve this problem

When this has happened to me I have been able to fix it by playing with the server port settings, and sometimes with the type of encryption that is chosen.
Go to your email provider site and find their page of settings for Outlook, see what you can change.
also if you use the Test Account Settings button in the setup, you can see if it is failing on Outgoing or Incoming, gives you some direction to work in.

When this has happened to me I have been able to fix it by playing with the server port settings, and sometimes with the type of encryption that is chosen.
Go to your email provider site and find their page of settings for Outlook, see what you can change.
also if you use the Test Account Settings button in the setup, you can see if it is failing on Outgoing or Incoming, gives you some direction to work in.

Thanks for the reply Vincenzo.
I will try change some of these settings and report

What type of email account do you have configured in Outlook? POP, IMAP, Outlook.com, or Microsoft Exchange?

Are you using 2-factor auth?

Thanks for the reply Diane
I am using POP settings for my mail accounts
I don't use 2 factor auth.

We suspect it is caused by a bug in recent windows updates, possibly do to changes in credential manager. We don't have a specific update to blame it on yet.

We suspect it is caused by a bug in recent windows updates, possibly do to changes in credential manager. We don't have a specific update to blame it on yet.

Thanks Diane
I have not added that in the last two weeks I have used the Microsoft tool to delete (supposedly) all traces of the Office 365, and loaded Microsoft 365 with no change to the password issue.
So as you say it points to an OS problem and the timing would fit with update 2004.

Follow this steps :-
-Go to the File tab.
-Select Info.
-Select Account Settings > Account Settings.
-In the Account Settings dialog box, select the email address for which you want Outlook to remember the password, then select Change.
-In the Exchange Account Settings dialog box, select More Settings.
-In the Microsoft Exchange dialog box, go to the Security tab and clear the Always prompt for logon credentials checkbox.
-Select Apply to apply the changes, then choose OK to close the window.
-In the Exchange Account Settings dialog box, select Close (X).
-In the Account Settings dialog box, select Close.
-Restart Outlook.
hope this solves your problem

Follow this steps :-
-Go to the File tab.
-Select Info.
-Select Account Settings > Account Settings.
-In the Account Settings dialog box, select the email address for which you want Outlook to remember the password, then select Change.
-In the Exchange Account Settings dialog box, select More Settings.
-In the Microsoft Exchange dialog box, go to the Security tab and clear the Always prompt for logon credentials checkbox.
-Select Apply to apply the changes, then choose OK to close the window.
-In the Exchange Account Settings dialog box, select Close (X).
-In the Account Settings dialog box, select Close.
-Restart Outlook.
hope this solves your problem
Thanks so much for posting this info.. Sadly it did not solve this annoying problem

You can use the manual as well as a third-party tool to rid out of this problem.
Thanks for the reply.
Outlook does not come with a manual AFAIK . What is the third party tool?

I had a similar problem and found that, starting with Win 10 v2004, it's now required to remain signed-in to Windows with an MS account instead of with a Local acct, or your Credential Manager won't work correctly, resulting in your on-line passwords (including outlook email PWs, iCloud PW, OneDrive PW, etc) to disappear and reappear sporadically.

After updating to v2004 in June, I had to go from being signed-in to Windows with my MS acct back being signed-in with a Local acct, restart and then back to sign-in again with my MS acct in order for my Credential Manager to start working correctly. Its been solid since June.

Here's my full thread:

Open Outlook, go to File >> Account Settings >> Account Settings. Select the Exchange account and click the Change button. Click More Settings in the new dialogue box. In the Security tab of Microsoft Exchange dialogue box, uncheck Always prompt for logon credentials.

Hope this information helps you.

Status
Not open for further replies.