Please can someone fix my Outlook Connector sync issue!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mat

This problem has plagued me for probably a year or more with no resolution in sight

All I’m trying to do is to download my emails from my windows live Hotmail account to local personal folders within Outlook on my PC. If I check mail online via IE browser I expect the email view to be in sync – a scenario that worked fine in Outlook Express for 10yrs+

*** Method ***

- View Hotmail Inbox and local folders in Outlook.

- Selectively ‘move’ messages to local folders by dragging messages from Hotmail Inbox. Delete any I don’t want by hitting delete key.

- Hit send / rcv in Outlook.

The messages move fine and eventually the view of my Hotmail Inbox (using Outlook) is empty.

So, ‘locally’ all is well – view is 100% correct.

*** Problem ***

- When I then go and check online via IE browser, my Inbox is totally wrong – all my email is still there glaring at me

- Click Inbox for refresh.

- Hit F5 for refresh.

- Get angry.

- Hit F5 for refresh.

None of the actions I have done in Outlook have been replicated in the online view.

Options

- Manually delete all my email from the webpage view until its empty.

I find it hard to express how fed up I am with this situation. I know I’m not alone with this problem but MS Seem to be clueless. Endless forum posts go no-where. This has probably been a year now

I am an IT nerd & have given it my best shot but no joy

Microsoft have connected to my PC, re-installed Office 2007, the connector, created a new profile and butchered my registry. Made no difference. Escalated to the MS boffins in the states – still clueless

Recently I have:-

- Completely rebuilt my XP machine, SP3 and all updates

- Reinstalled Office 2007 & SP1

- OL connector v 12.0.6423.1000

Guess what? Same problem. Made no difference whatsoever

That tells me that all forms of recreating this or that, adding things, re-adding things, disabling add-ins in outlook, and updating things due to possible corruption are a big waste of time & I have invested hours and hours in this.

I have effectively a brand new Pc with vanilla installs of the O/S & programs and it doesn’t work ‘out of the box’ so there must be a huge bug at the MS end of things in my view – MS support hinted as much too

*** Options ***

- Ditch Hotmail & use a pop3 provider, its fast and just works

- Move to the windows live client but seems a bit rubbish to have to use that when I have Office 2007 and the OL connector which is supposed to work. I have years worth of email in lots of different Pst’s and would like to have access to all of it in one place

If anyone can sort this so it really works consistently I will be VERY happy and eternally grateful! :)

This problem has almost sent me insane trying to fix!

Cheers

- View Hotmail Inbox and local folders in Outlook.

- Selectively ‘move’ messages to local folders by dragging messages from Hotmail Inbox. Delete any I don’t want by hitting delete key.

Do the messages you hit Del on, delete online? If so, its possible the moved messages are treated as a shift+delete - for whatever reason, messages deleted using shift+delete don't sync correctly. Try copying the messages (use the copy to folder command) and then Del.

Do the messages you hit Del on, delete online? If so, its possible the moved messages are treated as a shift+delete - for whatever reason, messages deleted using shift+delete don't sync correctly. Try copying the messages (use the copy to folder command) and then Del.

del msg1 from inbox via ol - > deleted in online view

del msg2 from inbox via ol - > deleted in online view

Drag / move msg from inbox via ol - > deleted in online view ?!?!

Drag / move msg2 from inbox via ol - > deleted in online view ?!?!

thought u'd cracked it there! Though strangely the right click drag method also seems to work

I remember getting into a conversation with MS about number of items in your mailbox. I felt that the sync kind of worked until you had 100 msgs ish in your mailbox then the sync broke

This amount includes any other messages in sent items etc

I will zap my online messages then try as you say to copy then delete and see how it goes

thanks a lot & keep u posted

Mat

del msg1 from inbox via ol - > deleted in online view

del msg2 from inbox via ol - > deleted in online view

Drag / move msg from inbox via ol - > deleted in online view ?!?!

Drag / move msg2 from inbox via ol - > deleted in online view ?!?!

thought u'd cracked it there! Though strangely the right click drag method also seems to work

I remember getting into a conversation with MS about number of items in your mailbox. I felt that the sync kind of worked until you had 100 msgs ish in your mailbox then the sync broke

This amount includes any other messages in sent items etc

I will zap my online messages then try as you say to copy then delete and see how it goes

thanks a lot & keep u posted

Mat

OK I am losing the will to live with Outlook :-(

Your suggestion has been working ok thanks but now Outlooks doesn't like sending mail - I know it's a lot to ask...

It seemed to start when I tried sending a few larger emails about 4 & 7mb I think - one went then I started getting these errors

"Error in Mail Server request timed out"

& the other wouldn't go

I deleted & re-sent the email - no difference

I repaired the OL connector in Add/Remove progs - no difference

I created a new email with no attachment & that wouldnt go

I then got this error:

Time: 03/03/2010 21:03:28

Error in Mail

Error with Send/Receive.

Look for a log in the Sync Issues folder.

and this one

The Network Connection has been interrupted

At this point I wanted to end the pointless waste of my life chasing damn Outlook errors all day, ditch my hotmail account and choose new mail software that works....

Basic OL express worked fine for about 10 years! In a work environment with Exchange fine but with this Connector malarky it seems so flaky it's untrue & MS support is diabolical.

I repaired the OL connector in Add/Remove progs again & it worked enough for me to copy my mail as u suggested to a local folder & delete from Hotmail inbox

I hit the Send/Rcv to sync everything and got this again so I guess it's broke

Error in Mail

Error with Send/Receive.

Look for a log in the Sync Issues folder.

I googled the Sync Issues folder as I dont know where that is and it suggests thats for exchange environment?

connector version:

AVG A/Virus Email component disabled

Please help - I beg you!

Mat

OK I am losing the will to live with Outlook :-(

Outlook has a way with people. :)

Go to folder list view (Ctrl+6) and look for the sync issues folders - you'll have one with sync issues and a subfolder called local failures. They may not tell you much, but you'll be able to see how bad it is - i usually get 2 -3 a day. Many of mine happen as my computer is waking up - outlook starts to sync before the network is connected.
> The Network Connection has been interrupted

tells me its just typical network issues and the problem should correct itself.... eventually.

Outlook has a way with people. :)

Go to folder list view (Ctrl+6) and look for the sync issues folders - you'll have one with sync issues and a subfolder called local failures. They may not tell you much, but you'll be able to see how bad it is - i usually get 2 -3 a day. Many of mine happen as my computer is waking up - outlook starts to sync before the network is connected.

> The Network Connection has been interrupted

tells me its just typical network issues and the problem should correct itself.... eventually.

Yeah there was clearly nothing wrong with my connection!

found the sync folder - OMG there's 56 messages most of which are 23 or 35mb!!!

As you say they don't shed much light

The following issues occurred while synchronizing with the server:

Error Synchronizing Message

Look for an folder in the Local Failures folder.

Error with Send/Receive.

Server request timed out

Then tons of code about DeltaSync & the mail its trying to send - doesn't mean a lot to me...

There's also 6 messages in the local failures folder

I've copied the logs to a local folder & deleted them

Repaired OL connector AGAIN & hit send & rcv

Same error... & the log still contains info about the message I was trying to send even tho Ive deleted it!

the mail view is wrong again now (ie still shows email via browser tho none local)

I fear more wasted hours are ahead...

Yeah there was clearly nothing wrong with my connection!

found the sync folder - OMG there's 56 messages most of which are 23 or 35mb!!!

As you say they don't shed much light

The following issues occurred while synchronizing with the server:

Error Synchronizing Message

Look for an folder in the Local Failures folder.

Error with Send/Receive.

Server request timed out

Then tons of code about DeltaSync & the mail its trying to send - doesn't mean a lot to me...

There's also 6 messages in the local failures folder

I've copied the logs to a local folder & deleted them

Repaired OL connector AGAIN & hit send & rcv

Same error... & the log still contains info about the message I was trying to send even tho Ive deleted it!

the mail view is wrong again now (ie still shows email via browser tho none local)

I fear more wasted hours are ahead...

And one final point I'd like to re-iterate:

This is a totally fresh Windows XP build with new Office 07 install & all relevant updates, ditto OL connector

Why has it gone wrong? I would understand if it was old and full of junk but a new build should work - surely? :(

And one final point I'd like to re-iterate:

This is a totally fresh Windows XP build with new Office 07 install & all relevant updates, ditto OL connector

Why has it gone wrong? I would understand if it was old and full of junk but a new build should work - surely? :(

Also...

I've switched AVG anti virus off completely & still wont send mail with attachment - same timeout issue

Status
Not open for further replies.