Several Problems using Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxiD

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
Hi,

I'm sorry if this question is stupid, but I really feel stupid not working out a solution for this myself:

A few years ago, I opened a small business, let's say its called "123".

I needed Outlook (Exchange) as I am continously working from different locations across different countries.

So I started using "me@123.COM" from a Hosted Exchange Provider, I have slowly expanded my mailbox and am now at 15GB.

Earlier this year, my company "123" got bought over by another company which I now work for called "789", and now I need to use me@789.com as my e-mail address.

In 789 (because of the nature of the business), we do not have Exchange, we use POP3.

I still need to use Exchange because of my travelling, and usage of multiple computers.

So what I've done as a workaround is set up my main computer in the office to download the e-mails from my POP3 account at "me@789.com", and deliver them to my inbox on Exchange which is still exists for my "me@123.com"

This way I can get all my e-mails on Exchange.

But I'm now facing several problems which I hope you can help me solve:

1) I can't "Reply From" me@789.com unless I'm using my computer in the office. So everytime I need to answer e-mails sent to me at me@789.com, I have to use Remote Access to connect to my work computer just so I can reply back from the right e-mail address - this is ridiculous and doesn't work well for me because i can't do offline replies. Any way to set up Outlook on my other computers so that I can reply from "me@789.com"?

2) I also use a blackberry, i've set up 2 accounts on it - 1 for my hosted exchange account "me@123.com" and 1 for my POP3 account "me@789.com" my blackberry keeps buzzing all day because it get's the message when it comes through on "me@789.com" and then again when it get's "pulled" by my Exchange mailbox. Has anyone faced a similar problem? Any suggestions for a solution?

3) 789 is a much larger company and now I get CC'ed into e-mails all day, I really need to have a record of a lot of my e-mails, but with the quantity of the copied e-mails I get - and the max size of my exchange account (15gb), I can't keep a lot anymore, so I archive them to several PST's on my main computer in the office. However this is a manual process, and now I have so many PST's I can't keep track of them, and often because of the size of my OST, my outlook crashes and then has to re-start which takes 2-3 hours while it repairs the OST and PST files. Also it's not ideal because if I'm away from the office for several weeks, my mailbox get's too full and I have to keep going through remote access to archive. Has anyone faced a similar problem? Any suggestions for a solution?

Thanks for all your suggestions

1. Set up a POP or IMAP account - use a dummy incoming server name ('mail' works) and your 789 SMTP server. When you need to reply, you'll need to change the From account. This will not work when you use web mail - unless you only ever use the 789 address and can talk your hosted provider into setting it as the default SMTP address.

2. Are you using BES or BIS? If BIS, log into the blackberry website and set up a filter for the 123 account to not send mail forwarded from the 789 address. I'm not exactly sure how the filter will read - you need to look at the message headers and see if there is anything you can filter on. (The address for verizon BIS is something like vzw.blackberry,net - it should be similar for others.)

If you use BES you can create a similar filter using the desktop manager or web interface.

3. That is a tough one. Do you need to read the mail as it arrives? If not, create a rule to move mail you are CC'd on to a separate pst file as they arrive. If you need to review them, I recommend Auto-Mate - its a pricey rules addin that can move messages later. I use it to move a lot of crap... important mail 8 hrs after it arrives. This gives me time to review the mail but gets it out of my inbox. (I get a lot of addins given to me but i forked over the money for auto-mate... addins worth using are worth buying.)

THANK YOU DIANE!!!!!!

1. Set up a POP or IMAP account - use a dummy incoming server name ('mail' works) and your 789 SMTP server. When you need to reply, you'll need to change the From account. This will not work when you use web mail - unless you only ever use the 789 address and can talk your hosted provider into setting it as the default SMTP address.

PEFECT - SOLVES THE PROBLEM FOR THE SENDING! - However it keeps coming up as an "Error" for the Incoming Mail - saying send/recieve error in the bottom bar, but it's not a big issue! Is there a workaround to this!??

2. Are you using BES or BIS? If BIS, log into the blackberry website and set up a filter for the 123 account to not send mail forwarded from the 789 address. I'm not exactly sure how the filter will read - you need to look at the message headers and see if there is anything you can filter on. (The address for verizon BIS is something like vzw.blackberry,net - it should be similar for others.)

Perfect, Followed Above - and works like a charm (Using BIS)

If you use BES you can create a similar filter using the desktop manager or web interface.

3. That is a tough one. Do you need to read the mail as it arrives? If not, create a rule to move mail you are CC'd on to a separate pst file as they arrive. If you need to review them, I recommend Auto-Mate - its a pricey rules addin that can move messages later. I use it to move a lot of crap... important mail 8 hrs after it arrives. This gives me time to review the mail but gets it out of my inbox. (I get a lot of addins given to me but i forked over the money for auto-mate... addins worth using are worth buying.)

I'm Looking into this Now - Thanks! Any other add-ins you suggest?

On the error - go into Send and Receive settings (Ctrl+Alt+S) - double click on the send and receive group then select the account. Make sure its not checked to download messages. That should eliminate most of the errors. I think (but you need to test it), if you use send immediately you can uncheck the account (on the left sidebar) so its not part of the send receive group.

Oh, and on #2 - offhand that is the only thing i can think of, but I'll keep thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.