Outlook 2007 - iTunes - iCloud Sync Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

TigerJon

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Hello,

I have had the custom-built PC I own for almost two years. The OS is Win 7. The version of iTunes I am running is 10.6 (up to date). I am also running (or was until last night) Office '07. Up until I activated my iCloud account, everything seemed to be hunky-dory. Last Thursday night I attempted an iTunes/iPhone 4 sync by USB. If you are familiar w/iTunes, you know the sync first backs up and then goes through several sync steps. When my sync got to "Syncing Contacts," the sync appeard to get stuck, but not frozen. There were no program not responding errors. Maybe had I let it run its course things would have been fine, but in the past a sync would cycle in a few minutes or less. This was taking several hours. So, I ejected the iPhone and tried it again unchecking Sync Contacts under the Info tab in iTunes. I did this thinking "the contacts are already on the phone and in Outlook, so I'm only compromising any new contact infor being uploaded to Outlook." Bad idea. The sync worked quickly, got new music on the phone, etc., but the contacts were gone from the phone and Outlook. So I turned on the Sync Contacts in iCloud on the phone and the contacts downloaded to the phone, but in Outlook, instead of them being in the regular Contacts folder, they were in the iCloud contacts folder. This is not what I want. I want those contacts in a version for Outlook (and the phone for that matter) that will not dissapear from Outlook and the phone if I turn off iCloud, and it appears that is the way things are now since I activated my cloud account. What I desire is to have an email client (Outlook, Thunderbird, Live Mail) that will allow me to sync my phone with iTunes and any new contact info I have added to my phone contacts (usually how I add new contacts) or the client contacts will transfer. It appears the only client for Windows iTunes will allow this to happen with is Outlook, which I had.

Yesterday, I called a local PC repair shop and expected to explain my problem, get a "yes" or "no" on whether or not they could help, and then bring it in for repair (for lack of a better term). The person told me that he believed the problem to lie with Outlook and that there is a "glitch" if you will with Office/Outlook that when multiple programs (in my case iTunes/iCloud/Outlook) start competing with eachother in a sync, Outlook starts "punching holes in the files that contain contacts and calendars." I figured, "Hey, sounds good to me. i'll get OL07 off my machine and I'll be good again." I knew that in doing this I would still need to find a replacement. I did also ask myself the question, "If OL is the problem, why did the syncs work fine until the time when iCloud account activation entered the scene?" Then last night I was looking at an Apple article on how to set up iCloud with a PC. It said that in order to access email, contacts, and calendars, OL07 or OL10 is required.

So now I am where I am, think of trying to reinstall OL07 (w/o the rest of Office and just installing Openoffice or Libreoffice) or getting Office 2010.

Two last things, the main reason I want to have an iCloud account activated is because I want to have the Find My iPhone feature activated in case I lose it. Also, I have noticed that since this problem has started, OL does not want to completey shut down when I exit out of it. It appears to, but any time I shut down my machine to reboot, I get a warning that it is still running and do I want to force a shutdown and risk losing anything. Also, after exiting out of OL, I can bring up the task manager and the OL .exe file is still up and running. Also, down in the system tray there is a gray OL icon with an circled X on it. I cannot exit out of it...it's just there unless I reboot my machine. And, anytime I launch OL, Send/Receive gets stuck at 83%.:mad:

Any ideas?

I believe I can save you a bit of money....

The problem is not outlook 2007 and upgrading to fix most problems is either not going to fix it, or will only because you basically did a clean install - new profile, new data file etc. You don't need to upgrade to do that.

Reinstalls rarely help either. Repair from Add/Remove programs in Control panel will do as much as uninstall/reinstall but faster.

Can you open outlook and view the contacts in icloud? If so, nothing is broken - its just how icloud works. If the contacts are in the icloud, copy them to outlook - video tutorial: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/icloud-and-outlook-problems/#tools

The exit/restart issue is probably due to the icloud software. Or if you still have iTunes addin enabled in outlook, or certain antivirus software installs outlook addins. Go to Tools, Trust Center and see what addins are installed. Once you do that we'll have a better idea of what could be the problem.

I believe I can save you a bit of money....

The problem is not outlook 2007 and upgrading to fix most problems is either not going to fix it, or will only because you basically did a clean install - new profile, new data file etc. You don't need to upgrade to do that.

Reinstalls rarely help either. Repair from Add/Remove programs in Control panel will do as much as uninstall/reinstall but faster.

Can you open outlook and view the contacts in icloud? If so, nothing is broken - its just how icloud works. If the contacts are in the icloud, copy them to outlook - video tutorial: http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/icloud-and-outlook-problems/#tools

The exit/restart issue is probably due to the icloud software. Or if you still have iTunes addin enabled in outlook, or certain antivirus software installs outlook addins. Go to Tools, Trust Center and see what addins are installed. Once you do that we'll have a better idea of what could be the problem.

Diane,

Thank you so much for trying to help me with this. When I get a chance(hopefully this weekend), I'll reinstall Outlook and set up the sync within iTunes. Then I will follow your advice on looking for the addins. Then I'll update. Thanks again.

Diane,

Well, I went ahead and purchased Office 2010. I have not installed it yet but know I will have a couple questions right off the bat, so here goes:

1. I use an iPhone and it is my primary to receive/respond/write email messages, add new events to my calendar, and add new contacts. What is the best way for me to download/sync all of this info to OL? Once I get it downloaded, is there a way to keep it in OL if ever I decide to stop using iCloud?

2. I may need to contact my email providers to get the info I need on this one, but what the heck, here goes. Again, my iPhone is the first place I usually go for email. I have two email account on it (a Roadrunner account and a Thomaswebs account). Is there a setting(s) on the phone or the PC where OL will be installed that will allow me to delete a message from either one and purge it from the server once and for all so it will not fall into the inbox of the other when I log in? I only check email on my PC a few times a week, so when I do a ton of mail is in my inbox and junk I have already deleted from my phone.

Lastly, if the exit/restart problem persists with this newer version, I will go to the Trust Center in my CP and see what addins are present.

Thanks for any help on these first few questions.

-Jon

One more question in addition to my last post (didn't catch it in time to edit):

3. For some reason, when checking email on either the phone or PC, I sometimes get a text bubble telling me my password for one of the two accounts is incorrect (I have both phone and PC set to memorize the passwords, so I know the passwords are correct) and messages won't download. I think this has something to do with a push setting where either phone or PC, even though not being used, is going through its auto push/pull and will not allow whatever I am currently using download messages. If I am correct on this, is there a way to remedy it and why am I being told the pw is incorrect?

Thanks!

-Jon

1. you can keep it in the icloud folders and copy it to outlook before removing the icloud server (as long as you remember that) or use a utility such as codetwo's icloud sync tool to keep the folders synced now - link at Syncing Outlook's Contacts with iCloud Contacts | Slipstick Systems -

2. Only if you use IMAP. If you don't use outlook often you can use imap on the phone and pop3 in outlook and that will take care of most of the mail. Or use imap on both... AFAIK, RR does not offer imap, but it might for some account types. (I have a business RR account and had to beg for a test email account- it's pop3 only.)

One more question in addition to my last post (didn't catch it in time to edit):

3. For some reason, when checking email on either the phone or PC, I sometimes get a text bubble telling me my password for one of the two accounts is incorrect (I have both phone and PC set to memorize the passwords, so I know the passwords are correct) and messages won't download. I think this has something to do with a push setting where either phone or PC, even though not being used, is going through its auto push/pull and will not allow whatever I am currently using download messages. If I am correct on this, is there a way to remedy it and why am I being told the pw is incorrect?

Thanks!

-Jon

Not a problem - shorter posts are sometimes easier to follow. :)

You are on the right track with your theory. When Outlook collects POP3 email, a lock is put on the mailbox and this prevents the other accounts from checking for new mail while the lock is active. I haven't looked into locks in years - when I tested them years ago the lock was for about 10 minutes. I probably should refresh my memory about how they work - its a problem with iphones in recent months. I don't know if ios5 handles locks differently than ios4 or if ATT handles them differently now, but a lot of iphone users are having issues.

You can reduce the incidence by setting outlook to check mail every couple of hours (or more) - use Send immediately so mail is sent timely - and use F9 if you need to check mail between autochecks.

Okay, steps 1 and 2 are complete - 2010 installed and my first email account is up and running. Wanting to add a second email account, what is the easiest way to do this w/o creating problems within OL or with iPhone/iCloud? I guess what would be optimal would be for each account to have it's own set of folders (inbox, junk, drafts, etc).

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.