synchronising a computer to an old (IMAP)mail account

Status
Not open for further replies.

olaand

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Hi,

I need to save to a .pst file some old folders and messages of an old email account in order to transfer them to another computer. The email account was used as an IMAP account but noone is currently accessing it. I have been asked to saviour the data.

My idea is to connect to the IMAP account with outlook and let it synchronise but I am unsure if i should connect using IMAP or simply connect using POP3 and download all messages? If i connect using POP, will folders be created on my outlook or will i need to connect using IMAP details for that to happen? I would like the structure on the server to be transferred and saved to a local .pst and then transferred to another computer. If I connect using IMAP is there a risk that it synch using my pc as the master and thereby deleting all the folders and messages on the server?:confused:

I am using Outlook 2007 on XP. I also have access to Outlook 2010 on a Windows 7 machine if that makes any difference or makes it easier. ...?

Many Thanks for your help:D

I would connect using imap then export to a pst file- this insures all of the message bodies are downloaded. However, if you are sure all the bodies are downloaded, you can just move the pst file to the other computer. The data on the server is not at risk when you use imap as long as you don't use autoarchive.

When you use POP3, only the inbox comes down and unless you configure outlook to leave mail on the server before connecting, it will usually delete the mail from the inbox. (Outlook 2007 SP2 may change this; outlook 2010 leaves mail on the server for 2 weeks.)

BTW, it doesn't really matter which computer/outlook you use - use the one you are most comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O Synchronising contacts Outlook 365 with Google v.v. Using Outlook 4
V Setting up Outlook 2021 on new computer Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
K Moved pst to new computer, now Gmail not coming into Outlook Using Outlook 7
D VBA - unable to set rule condition 'on this computer only' Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
F Outlook 2019 Outlook 2019 Add and Sync to New computer Comcast server Using Outlook 2
ill13 Prepend the user's computer name to the subject. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Commodore Getting rid of "This computer only" Using Outlook 4
Commodore iTunes sync on a new computer - any issues to be expected? Using Outlook 9
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8
GregS Outlook 2016 Move Outlook to new computer? Using Outlook 4
M Sync 'On my computer' emails Using Outlook 1
G Cannot Move Autocomplete File to New Computer Using Outlook 15
R Outlook 2010 How do you export 2 email Accounts' 2010 Inbox Files to new computer (2019)? Using Outlook 0
M Transfer To New Computer - Lost Some Outlook Functionality Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2016 Migrate 'On My Computer' (local storage) Calendar from Mac Outlook to Exchange Account Using Outlook 5
G Outlook 2016 sync contacts directly between phone and computer using outlook 2016 Using Outlook 0
N Two .pst files on one computer both with contacts? Using Outlook 9
Rupert Dragwater Sync Issues (This Computer Only) Using Outlook 8
R Outlook loads when the computer boots Using Outlook 1
M Following a refresh of computer (win8.0) conflicting oulook accounts Using Outlook 2
N Outlook 2010 on re-imaged computer missing calendar/contacts Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Moving Outlook to a New Computer Using Outlook 0
P Newly created IMAP subfolders not showing up on email clients away from computer. Using Outlook 3
J Gmail host and Outlook on two computer Using Outlook 2
iwshim Transfering mail from the outbox to another computer Using Outlook 0
H How-To recover email from Computer Crash Using Outlook 2
M Missing Drafts (Drafts - This Computer Only) Outlook.com Using Outlook 1
W Outlook BSOD (my oldest computer) Using Outlook 5
C Getting back previous computer owner Outlook email Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
E Moving autoarchive settings to new computer (Outlook 2007) Using Outlook 1
A Transfering Outlook 2010 data to new computer with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 4
D (This computer only) ...imap ... two accounts Using Outlook 8
U Creating a (This computer only) folder within an IMAP account directory Using Outlook 1
J Just installed Outlook 2010 on computer and user is getting a 0x80004005 error Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
S Moving folders from outlook 2010 to a new computer with outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
S Recover Autocomplete After Computer Failure Re-install Using Outlook 3
C Newb Q: Outlook 2013 Lost Contacts (this computer only) Using Outlook 4
R New computer, OL2010 unable to display shared calendar appointments Exchange Server Administration 3
R This Computer Only Folders in IMAP Accounts Using Outlook 5
B Trying to get old emails from a not working computer but having trouble. Using Outlook 6
J Contacts (this computer only) Folder Using Outlook 1
D Deleting internet calendar on one computer removes it from all computers Using Outlook 2
D Unable to transfer rules from one Outlook computer to another Using Outlook 5
S Cannot Find Shared Database on Remote Computer BCM (Business Contact Manager) 13
A I have a roaming profile and when I delete emails from one computer Using Outlook 1
J Reminders dismissed on one computer re-appear on Outlook on second computer Using Outlook 1
0 Outlook 2010 causes computer to lose connection when opening and Send/Receive Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 14
Commodore Importing RSS on another computer (and feed locations) Using Outlook 8
B Outlook.exe expands to 1.4 mb and causes eratic computer behavior Using Outlook 1