Outlook 2007 Certificate Error for OpenMail.cc Provider

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foggy

Outlook version
Email Account
POP3
Hi,

I have manually updated the certificates for one of my email providers (OpenMail.cc) as per the instructions here. In IE Internet Options > Content > Certificates I can see that the expiration date for the relevant certificate is many 2020 or so.

But when I open Outlook 2007 to get mail from the inbox I keep getting the certificate error message (see attached image). When I then click to view the certificate as Outlook has it, it shows an expiration date of last August. But I can't find that certificate anywhere in IE's list (if I could, I would uninstall it), nor can I get this error message to stop popping up.

As far as I can see, IE has all the necessary certificates properly installed, but Outlook is showing the wrong one, one that is NOT in IE. So I guess I need to get Outlook to remove its version of the certificate but I don't know how/where to do that. :confused:

Any assistance would be appreciated. :)

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    17.7 KB · Views: 622
Gaaaaa!!! No edit button ! I didn't notice the convoluted sentence until the edit option was removed. :(

The second sentence of first paragraph was supposed to say something like: I can see that the expiration dates for the relevant certificates are as late as 2020 or so.

Check the security certificate settings. Open a message, then open the options dialog (click the expand button in More Options) security settings, change settings.

Check the security certificate settings. Open a message, then open the options dialog (click the expand button in More Options) security settings, change settings.

Thank you for the reply, but I'm afraid I simply couldn't figure out what you wanted me to do. As you can see with this screenshot, when I went to my OpenMail IMAP folder ("Sent") and opened a message as you suggested, there is no "Options" or "More Options," etc. I did go to Actions > Other Actions, but no security settings, etc. exist there. :confused:

Try new message -

security-cert.jpg

When you click #3 there is a Choose button where you select the new cert.

Security settings should be in options too, but I'm apparently blind because I thought it was under Other tab but can't find it. :) Oh, I am blind... it's on the trust center... i only use 2007 for testing and forgot it has the trust center separate from options dialog. Look in Email Security - is the new id selected?

Try new message -

View attachment 423

When you click #3 there is a Choose button where you select the new cert.

Security settings should be in options too, but I'm apparently blind because I thought it was under Other tab but can't find it. :) Oh, I am blind... it's on the trust center... i only use 2007 for testing and forgot it has the trust center separate from options dialog. Look in Email Security - is the new id selected?

Ah. Okay. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, there are no changes to make in 'settings.' "Choosing" either certificate results in the following...

OutlookCertificate.jpg

Which only compounds my confusion. I have up-to-date certificates from the OpenMail site in IE (and no out-of-date ones that I can find), but I have an out-of-date one popping up when trying to access my mail in Outlook (2007) and have no certificate to 'choose' changes for in the settings noted by the Forum Admin and you, Diane ! :confused:

Btw, I also tried going to the trust center and only got this far: (Am I to browse to the location in IE of the good certificates to import them ? If so, where in 'Computer' to I find the right file ? If not, then what ?)

Attachments

• TrustCenterID.jpg
    TrustCenterID.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 602
On that last question - yes, you need to browse for it. When i last set up a cert myself, I browsed for the pfx file I downloaded. When i installed an email cert from comodo, their script set it up in IE and Outlook. (I need to set that one up on my second computer.... today is as good of time as any to experiment. :))

Brief update: well, I've tried different things (like deleting all presently valid openmail related certs via the certificate manager), but I still get the warning about the out-of-date certificate when sending/receiving. Somewhere there's an out-of-date certificate hiding that even the certificate manager can't locate and it seems to be the only certificate that Outlook's interested in. :( Oh, well. I can live with it if I have to. I just need to click 'yes' whenever the cert. warning pops up when first opening Outlook. Not a huge deal, since the actual sending/receiving still work afterward.

Thanks for the help and suggestions along the way. Maybe something else will come up in the future that will resolve this.

It only comes up when you first start Outlook? Dumb, dumb, dumb of me... in looking at the first dialog again, it looks like a server certificate. That's why you only get it when outlook first loads.

I thought it was a signature cert. Sorry about that wild goose chase. :(

It only comes up when you first start Outlook? Dumb, dumb, dumb of me... in looking at the first dialog again, it looks like a server certificate. That's why you only get it when outlook first loads.

I thought it was a signature cert. Sorry about that wild goose chase. :(

1. To be specific: since I don't have Outlook set to retrieve messages at start-up, the cert. warning only shows up when I first manually click send/receive, not at 'start-up' itself. I then click 'yes' and it goes away for the duration of that Outlook session and until I close/re-open Outlook at some other point in the day. If I left it open all the time, I wouldn't get the warning a second time when checking that account.

2. No need to apologize. If I knew more about these things, I could have explained it better myself and avoided any possible misrepresentation of what's happening. :)

I don't like being wrong or making stupid mistakes. :) I'm pretty sure I'm right now though.

Yeah, it would only come up when you first connected to the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.