Calendar Search by Category not showing expected results

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLH

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
I have a user who has all of her calendar items categorized by her clients. When she tries to search for all items by Category, the results are next to nothing, even though we can see there are 5 items just in this week's calendar. We have gone through the troubleshooter to make sure Search and indexing is working, but that did not make a difference in the search results (it did, however, make the Categorized button not greyed out). We recently upgraded from Outlook 2007 to 2010 and she had categories set up in the old version. What can I look at next to get her search function to work properly?

No, in fact, the Search feature did not find the newly categorized item. In fact, at that point, Outlook just sat there 'Searching' for minutes until we closed the search box.

In Outlook, I have categories set for my calendar items. When I try to Search my calendar using the "Search all Calendar Items" box and then try to click Categorized, that button is greyed out on the ribbon. Why isn't this availble to me, but it is for others in my office?

Are newly categorized items found in the category search?

This is in an Exchange mailbox, correct? Categories are goofy in IMAP and Outlook.com/Hotmail accounts, but it should work in Exchange.

Based on your other problems, it sounds like either search or categories are messed up. You can try rebuilding the search index and resetting the view.

I'll see if I can find other causes of categories button being disabled.

Restarting outlook with the cleancategories switch then using Upgrade to color categories might also work, but you'll need to fix the colors. Outlook will assign random colors.

How do I restart Outlook with the cleancategories switch? How do I Upgrade to color categories?

Close Outlook.

In Start menu search field (Win7) or in the Run command (Windows key + R), type or paste

outlook.exe /cleancategories

and press Enter to start outlook.

Upgrade to color categories: right click on the name of your data file, which is usually your email address.

Choose Properties then click the button to upgrade color categories.

How to Upgrade to Color Categories - Slipstick Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S outlook 2007 calendar search Using Outlook 6
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
P Outlook search is not working at all for Calendar & Tasks Using Outlook 7
D Exchange to iOS Calendar Search Exchange Server Administration 5
J Calendar search failing & wrong indexlocation showing..OL2010 Using Outlook 3
A OL13 Calendar Search not finding most items Using Outlook 15
L Calendar Search Using Outlook 15
G Outlook 2013 - Search Returning All Calendar Entries Using Outlook 1
B How can I narrow the search in my Outlook calendar? Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2010 search for question mark in calendar Using Outlook 7
J Cannot search items within shared calendar Using Outlook 0
Fozzie Bear Calendar Events created on iPhone have suddenly start sending invitations to attendees Using Outlook 2
J Set calendar default to 'none' (policy) Exchange Server Administration 3
J Calendar events created on iPhone automatically changing default alert from 'None' to 'Time of Event' Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
G Outlook 365 My iCloud Outlook doesn’t work after reinstalling Microsoft365 on Windows 10 PC – now I get error message on contacts and calendar Using Outlook 1
G Creating Macro to scrape emails from calendar invite body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
U When opening shared Calendar "The set of folders cannot be opened" Using Outlook 0
P Can no longer sync Outlook with iPhone calendar after iPhone update to 17.1.1 Using Outlook 7
P turn off the default "all day" check box in new calendar items. How? Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 365 New Appointments All saved to a 365 default calendar on Mac Using Outlook 0
V Unchecking my calendar and leaving shared one visible Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V VBA Categories unrelated to visible calendar and Visual appointment Categories Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M New Calendar Appointments: Conditionally turn off reminder and show time as free Using Outlook 5
J Cannot edit a calendar event received as an invitation Using Outlook 2
H Outlook 365 O365 outlook calendar item editing Using Outlook 1
Kika Melo Outlook Calendar deleted appointments not in Deleted Items folder Using Outlook 3
P Copying ALL calendar entries from Calender in PST file to IMAP OST file? Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Question about calendar Using Outlook 5
icacream Outlook 2021 - Google calendar in the peek Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i MY Outlook 2021 changed the format of the shortcuts for mail, calendar etc. Using Outlook 10
Fozzie Bear Shared Calendar For Scheduled Tasks Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
K Add an entry to a specific calendar Using Outlook 1
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Synch Outlook 365 calendar with iPhone Using Outlook 0
C Recover calendar Using Outlook 0
R How to prevent corrupted Notes format in Calendar and Contacts Using Outlook 0
L Duplicate calendar entries in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
G Stop Outlook 365 adding meetings to calendar Using Outlook 1
CWM550 Outlook 365 HELP! Calendar Craziness! Using Outlook 5
J Event/Meeting in Outlook Does Not Align with SharePoint Calendar Using Outlook 5
Commodore Slow calendar Using Outlook 0
C How to import Outlook calendar? Using Outlook 1
G Add contacts birthday to calendar Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 all appointments not showing in calendar Using Outlook 2
V iCloud calendar problems, Outlook shuts down immediately Using Outlook 2
KeithJB iCloud calendar sync only works one way! Using Outlook 3
V Backup Calendar, Contacts, Tasks in an POP3 data file Using Outlook 3
O Unable to make changes to an existing Calendar entry Using Outlook 11
J VBA for outlook to compare and sync between calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1