Status
Not open for further replies.

wallisellener

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Dear All

I was not able to find a good install and configuration guide for BCM Database Tool 2013.

Could someone please post all the requirements for a new server on which a BCM shared database for Outlook 2013:

- supported operating system

- version of MSSQL Server

- any additional software required (Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 ?)

-which user should be used when installing the BCM DB Tool (Administrator user or a local user with administrator rights)

-the user (Administrator or local user) which was used to install the BCM DB Tool should have SQL Admin rights?

Any additional remarks/infos are more than welcomed.

Regards

Wallisellenener

BCM shared will work on most OS and SQL - it now supports SQL 2012 and I know it works with SQL 2005 on Win2003 R2 (that's what I'm using)

Since I used it to upgrade an older db, I didn't need to install anything. What it needs, BCM tool for 2010 also needed.

I installed it using the Administrator account. What happened when you tried to install it using a local user account?

From the kb Description of the Business Contact Manager for Outlook Database Tool

Known issues and behavior changes

User cannot create new database when SQL Server 2012 services logged on as Network Service

If a user of the BCM Database Tool is using SQL Server 2012 on Windows Server 2008 and is logged in as a Network Service, they may see the following error message:

Cannot create a new database. The operation has been rolled back. Please make sure the database service is running.

The workaround is to log on as a Local System instead of as a Network Service.

Actually, that KB article covers the prereq question and most of the others. Based on the known issues, it also works with SQL2012, even though its not listed as supported.

The tool ensures that the necessary firewall ports are opened, that users are granted permission to the database, and that the SQL instance is configured to allow external connections. These operations require the user to be a local administrator. A supported version of SQL Server needs to be present in order to use this tool. Currently, this tool supports 2005 and 2008 versions of Microsoft SQL Server.

More information

Supported operating systems

This tool is supported on the following operating systems:

•Windows 8

•Windows 7

•Windows Server 2003 R2 x86 (32-bit)

•Windows Server 2003 R2 x64 editions

•Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

•Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 2 (SP2)

•Windows Vista Service Pack 2

•Windows XP Service Pack 3

•Windows Small Business Server 2008

•Windows Small Business Server 2003 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

Prerequisites

You must have Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 SP1, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 SP2 or Microsoft SQL Server 2005 SP3 (32-bit only) installed.

Hi Diane

Many thanks for the fast reply !

When configuring the MSSQL Server with a local user (user in Administrator Group) I was receiving the following error message when trying to create a new DB via BCM DB tool:

"Cannot create a new database. The operation has been rolled back. Please make sure the database service is running."

Currently I'm installing on a Win Server 2k8 SP1 and MSSQL Server 2008 SP2 the BCM DB Tool 2013 and everything using Administrator account.

I will update the thread after the process is completed.

Regards

W

That is the error in the KB that says the workaround is to log on as a Local System instead of as a Network Service. It said that applied to SQL 2012, not 2008 though.

Using "Administrator" account worked. I was able to create and share a new database using the BCM DB Tool.

Now a new issue appeared: outlook 2013 can't connect to the database.

The Exchange version is 2010 and I'm using Outlook 2013.

The server where the shared DB is configured has all the tools installed in English. On my Notebook I have Outlook installed in german. Could this be an issue?

This is no network issue because the firewall is disabled.

I've checked this link: Configuring BCM to share a SQL server database - Slipstick Systems but unfortunately without success.

Any ideas what could be wrong?

I don't think its German, as long as the login to the laptop = a user alias in the shared db, it should work. (And the passwords match.)

I know one thing won't work, a Microsoft account login on Windows 8. My Microsoft account is the same as the address of my personal account in the domain the SQL server is in but it won't work. I wanted the sync features of the Microsoft account logon but it's not compatible with a shared db.

I revised the steps from the link and it seems I have a password problem.

When executing >osql -E -S server\microsoftsmlbiz,port I receive a "Login failed for user Domain\firstname.lastname" message.

This is quite strange because I'm using the same password when logging on the Domain (both machines are in the same domain) and when sharing the database using the BCM DB Tool.

Is this a bug or ...?

It's possible it could be a bug - I haven't tried this build with a domain login yet. But, I'd be surprised because it uses most of the same code from the 2010 version.

After some additional changes and tweaks I'm blocked with the following error:
> osql -E -S ip\MSSmallBusiness,port
[SQL Server Native Client 10.0]Cannot generate SSPI context

The same thing happens when trying to connect with the MSSQL Server managemenet Studio using Windows Authentication.

The reason why BCM can't find the shared database and this error message are related?

Is there any fast workaround to quickly get BCM running and connected to the shared DB?

Diane many thanks for the fantastic support!

With your help I managed to find a workaround for the "SSPI context" issue.

I tested again the connection and here is the output:
> osql -E -S server\MSSmallBusiness,1433

When trying to configure BCM from Outlook and selecting the option: "Connect with a remote database" I can see the created/shared Database but I can't select it.

The database name is displayed "MSSmallBusiness", the version is "Oulook 2013" but the entry is greyed out and I can't complete the setup.

Any magical hints left?

Offhand, no, I have no ideas left.

Maybe the error is related to the BCM version.

I have outlook 2013 installed and the BCM version is 4.00.12006.00

Could you please confirm if this is the compatible version with Outlook 2013?

Are there any other BCM versions available?

That is the 2013 version.

Reviving this old thread because some installation issues:

- we are installing BCM for Office 2013 32 bit Installation or at least trying

- the installation is not successfull

An user setup would be: WIN7 32 bit with Office 2013 32 bit. Any additional software required?

What are the prerequisites for a BCM Client installation (user installation)?

Status
Not open for further replies.