Outlook 2007 vs Outlook 2010 on Windows 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I am setting up Windows 8 for my wife. I have extra licenses for both Outlook 2007 and 2010. She is used to Outlook 2003, so I suspect the transition would be easier to Outlook 2007 (she doesn't really enjoy learning new software). But on the other hand, I am wondering if Outlook 2010 might be more trouble-free on Windows 8. Do you have any thoughts about this? Thanks

While its true that outlook 2010 should be better on windows 8, Outlook 2007 should be fine - it's "not supported" but that just means if there are bugs related to windows , they won't fix them. I'm not aware of any serious bugs - in fact, I don't recall any complaints with Outlook 2007/Win8.

That said, I don't know if it will be easier to go to the hybrid outlook 2007 (mix of toolbars and ribbon) or just bite the bullet and go to 2010. There is a learning curve either way.

You're brave to go to windows 8 - my husband is the same way and I think I'm going to keep him on win7 and outlook 2010 until his computer dies. I love windows 8, especially once I learned all of the windows key shortcuts but I still have to tell him Ctrl+C to copy...

Thanks for the info. Does Office 2007 not being supported mean it will not get any security updates at all in Windows 8?

Security updates that are released for Outlook 2007 will work - it only means bugs won't be fixed and you can't call for support.

OK thanks. I think I will go with Office 2010 anyway.

Her existing pst is an Outlook 97-2002 file. I think I read on your site that the correct method is to let Outlook 2010 create a new pst, then open the 97-2002 pst in Outlook 2010 and copy over the Contacts, calendar and email (and import the nk2 file). Is that correct?

Also she has a lots of nested folders created in the Inbox. Is there any problem to be aware of when copying them?

And one account that used to be POP will now be IMAP. Any issues there as far as filing new emails that come in via IMAP into those folders containing the existing emails that were received via POP? Thanks

That will work, or you can import it. We don't normally recommend import because you lose custom views and rules etc, but in this case, you're going to lose them anyway, so you might as well use the faster method.

Since you are moving computers, you will need to import the nk2, if you want to keep the autocomplete list.

I'm not familiar with using import except for Contacts from a csv file. Does it work for Calendar and Emails? Do you have a tutorial for this? Thanks

OK I am trying to do the final setup today. A few things have come up:

She has two email accounts – one POP and one IMAP. I created the pop account first, with a pst in Documents, then the IMAP which created its own pst in AppData. Am I correct in assuming that the Calendar and Contacts are stored in the pst file that is in the My Documents/Outlook Files folder?

Also, is it correct that the IMAP pst in AppData cannot be reused should I ever need to restore the computer from an image, so as such there is no need to back it up?

And finally, right now in her Outlook 2003 both of those email accounts are POP, and as such use the same pst. She has a lot of folders with stored emails. Only some of those folders will be associated with the IMAP account. If I move some of them into the IMAP folders, will they then be stored also on the email server and therefore appear in her iPhone which is using IMAP?

Thanks for all the help.

Yes, in Outlook 2010 and older, the calendar and contacts will be in the pst file. (Outlook 2013 lets you use the imap folder for calendar and contacts).

The imap file can't be reused with the imap account and there is no need to back it up as its just a copy of the server - outlook will resync it if you restore an old copy.

The folders should sync up but it depends on the imap server. if she doesn't need them on the server, you can open the old pst in the profile, so she has them in outlook.

The folders should sync up but it depends on the imap server. if she doesn't need them on the server, you can open the old pst in the profile, so she has them in outlook.

I don't know that she really needs them on the server for her day to day work, but I don't want to have the old pst hanging around and creating another inbox in the folder list on the left side in Outlook. So I'd like to put the folders in one of her new pst's. I'd prefer to put some of those folders in the IMAP inbox. But I need to know if they are in fact on the server, so I can decide whether or not to create backups of the pst on a regular basis. If I put them in the new IMAP pst and they do not end up on the server, then if her computer fails or just needs to be restored from an image, they will be lost unless I have a backup. I tried creating a test folder in the IMAP Inbox and when I access the web interface (HostGator) I do see the test folder there. Does that mean if her computer failed and we got a new one, that that test folder and others like it would be re-created on the computer?

I guess I'd feel more secure with backups. If I use the Microsoft utility for backing up pst files, will it back up both of the pst's?

Thanks

I did a test and went to another computer with Outlook and configured access to the imap account. It did in fact download the test folder that I created in the inbox, so I guess, at least with HostGator, we can assume the folder structure will be re created on all computers that access the account with Outlook.

I think I will still set up the backup utility. Do you know if I can backup both pst's with it?

Thanks

if they folders and contents are online, and her computer failed, she could open the imap account from the new computer and would have all mail.

You are talking about the outlook backup addin? It's been a while since i tested it, but i think if will because up all pst files in the profile. Test it to verify.

OK thanks. I ended up using Method 2 from your tutorial, since I needed to divide the folders up into the two pst's.

I haven't done the Contacts and Calendar yet. do I get to choose again, either copying or import, or is one preferable?

Thanks

contacts: it doesn't matter.

Calendar: if she has meetings especially where she is the organizer, moving appt is better, otherwise it doesn't matter.

I am trying the import method. It wants me to choose whether to import into the Contacts folder for the IMAP account or the POP account. I was assuming that I only have one Contacts folder since the same pst (the one in My Documents) is being used for both accounts (I think). Or does the one pst allow for separate Contacts for each account? And do I have to pick then which is the default that I see when click Contacts on the left side?

Thanks

You could make a new contacts folder, but i recommend using 1 folder and color categories to 'separate' the contacts. The contacts are shared when you use 1 pst or outlook 2007 and older. Outlook 2010 adds some separation if you use one pst file for each account.

Import into the pst file in my documents.

I notice there is a pst file in the AppData folder. Its name is name@domain.com.pst - same name as the IMAP account. But it has not been modified since I created the account hours ago, so it is not being used. Is that where the contacts or calendar would end up if I let the import wizard use the IMAP account? Not that I'm thinking of doing that, I'd prefer they end up in the pst file in My Documents.

Thanks

I had to put this project on hold while I did some other work. I got back to it yesterday, and finished the importing of Contacts and Calendar. It all went well. Thanks for your help in figuring all this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.