Status
Not open for further replies.

Moon

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi,

I access my email trough the IMAP protocol with Outlook 2010.

I noticed a changed in the behaviour of managing the moved items.

In Outlook 2010, when I move a message from a folder to another, the message does not appear in the initial folder anymore.

In Outlook 2003, when I move a message from a folder to another, the message still appears in the initial folder but marked for deletion (strike through).

I would like to reproduce the old behaviour in Outlook 2010. Going through all the macros, it seems to be feasible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Rgds

Thank you for your quick answer Diane.

I would have thought that it was possible by copying the moved item to the inbox and mark the item as deleted.

Just to be sure that you understand my request. I want an email from the inbox moved to a folder to be marked as deleted in the inbox.

Rgs

It's not getting marked as deleted? It should be marked as deleted if you are moving, won't if you are copying. Outlook 2010/2013 changes how deleted items are handled - in older versions, they are marked for deletion and purged later. New versions handle it more like how pop accounts do it.

No it is not marked as deleted when it is moved. Only deleted items are marked as deleted (which make sense:)).

I have this behavious for the 7 computers running Outlook 2010. The other 5 computers running outlook 2007 have the moved items marked as deleted.

Is this a gmail account? I know there are weird behaviors with it in Outlook 2013 (but not 2010). I have imap accounts on a couple of different servers and will check them in 2010.

No this is not a gmail account.

This is a local provider. The same email account is configured with IMAP protocol in outlook 2007 and outlook 2010.

No, sorry, I haven't had time yet. I had to turn off my test systems and need to set up a VM on my desktop before i can test it.

I am using Outlook 2007. My problem is that I deleted my outlook account that was a pop3 account so I could open a new account with the same email address as an imap account. This was necessary as I was getting conflicts when my iPhone and computers were accessing my Charter server, and Charter told me I had to create the account as an imap one. The new imap account appears as a separate account under the heading of alias@charter.net, while the original account folders remain under "Personal Folders". The new folders, most of which have the same headings as the original account does, behave differently than the original one. Now when I try to delete messages (both old and new messages) in the new account, they don't disappear as I want them to do, but a line draws through them instead. What is causing this and how do I correct it? I have deleted and reinstalled the new account a number of times trying to figure out if some option I select may be causing this, but so far no luck. I would greatly appreciate some help.

That is normal behavior for Outlook 2007 and IMAP accounts. There is a view that hides messages marked for deletion and a setting that purges the marked items when you change folders. Look on the Edit > Purge menu > Purge options.

Dear Diane,

Do you know what is the behavior for Outlook 2013 while moving a message from a folder to another for an IMAP account. Is it marked for deletion or is it deleted from the source folder?

Rgs,

Outlook 2013 gives you the choice of moving to deleted or marking for deletion then purging later.

Dear Diane,

I can't find where in the settings of Outlook 2013 you can change the move behavior on IMAP account.

Btw did you manage to check on Outlook 2010?

Thx

Both 2010 and 2013 give you the choice.

File, Account Settings, double click on the imap account, then More Settings. In 2010, look on the Deleted tab, in 2013, it's Advanced tab.

sent-items-2013.png

If mark for deletion is not enabled, they are deleted "normally" and moved to the trash folder.

Ok thank you.

I confirm it is working with Outlook 2013 but not working with Outlook 2010.

outlook 2010.png

It is working while deleted but not while moved.

Did you manage to test on Outlook 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.