Status
Not open for further replies.

El_Diabolo

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hi All,

Sorry if this has been covered previously, but I have looked and cannot find it.

I am using Office 2010 (all components).

I am doing a mail-merge using a Word document as the document to be sent and An Excel sheet contains the recipients to be merged. Currently this is a test run, which means that some of the email addresses to which I am sending the document are email accounts on my machine. That's all fine and no problems have been encountered setting it up to run. However, there are a couple of anomalous events happening when I get to the Outlook Send/Receive phase, as follows:

1. The mail-merge inserts the requested emails to be sent into my Outbox. That's fine. When I press F9, thereby executing a Send/Receive All, the Send/Receive count displayed in the task bar is incorrect. So far, over a few runs, it has been incorrect in two different ways. The first way is that when I am sending three messages it gives me a count of six. This would be correct if all three messages were being sent to accounts on my outlook, but that is not the case. Two of them are , but one is being sent elsewhere. Therefore, I would have thought the count would have been five, i.e. three sent and two received. The second strange message count is that it generates a count which just seems plain wacky. It may be nine, or seventeen, or some other unfathomable number. Any ideas what is going on, please?

2. Sometimes when I press F9 it executes a send/receive, gives me a message count, but nothing arrives in my inbox. Until I press F9 again.

The correct emails arrive at the correct destination, so the above behaviour is confusing rather than harmful, nonetheless I would prefer that these anomalies didn't happen.

I am at a loss to explain any of this so any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks.

1. if you have 6 outgoing emails the count should be six. Doesn't matter who they are going to - its the total being sent.

Now... outlook 2010 is know to count wrong if you have more than one email account configured it may multiply the outgoing count by the number of email accounts. If you have 2 accounts and it says sending 1 of 6 when it should be 1 of 3, then its this bug. This was fixed in an update so if you have the phantom counts you need to check for updates.

2. Is there anything on the server to download? When outlook does a check, it gets the new mail count from the server - the mail you send to yourself at the same time won't be ready to download until the next session.

Thank you for your very clear and helpful reply, Diane. Now I know what's what. Best regards.

Actually, Diane, now that I think about it the count of six still doesn't make sense to me. I am not sending six. I am sending three and receiving two of those three. Therefore, it seems to me that the count should be five. Sorry if I am being dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D.Moore Strange VBA error Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
B Strange MAPI/Exchange/IMAP behaviour in OL 2016 under10.0.19044.2006 Using Outlook 0
P Strange Calendar Entries Using Outlook 4
ManaarZakaria I'm afraid of this issue, cause of strange error Exchange Server Administration 2
M Outlook.com autocomplete list invaded by strange items Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 7
A Outlook 2016 - adding outlook.com account creates a new/strange address Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 18
M Outlook adds strange characters inserted into the Subject Line Using Outlook 2
F Strange problem with calendars Using Outlook 3
dolke Strange Outlook behavior when receiving emails. More info in the content... Using Outlook 7
A Two strange calender problems in Outlook 2003 ... Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2007 Add-in strange load behavior Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
B strange change in Outlook 2000 forms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Strange save request when closing Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
E Strange save request when closing Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
S Strange Behaviour of Explorer Object. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
C Synchronization and taking forever to send Using Outlook 2
D Send on behalf of does not store the base mailbox Using Outlook 0
R Outlook 365 VBA AUTO SEND WITH DELAY FOR EACH EMAIL Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook 2002- "Send" button has disappeared. Help please. Using Outlook 1
TomHuckstep Remove Send/Receive All Folders (IMAP/POP) button from Outlook 365 Ribbon Using Outlook 2
J Macro to send email as alias Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
F Add a category before "Send an Email When You Add an Appointment to Your Calendar" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
W Outlook 365 I am getting the "Either there is no default mail client" error when I try to send an email on excel Office 365 Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2010 recipient no longer shows in 'Send To' Using Outlook 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to send an Email Template from User Defined Contact Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Geldner Tweak Junk Email Reporting tool to default to particular email on send? Using Outlook 3
Geldner Send / Receive a particular group via macro or single keypress Using Outlook 1
E Outlook - Macro - send list of Tasks which are not finished Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
L How to avoid issues with "Send on Behalf" Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 365 refuses to send email Using Outlook 0
A Change settings Send/receive VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M I cant send emails via Outlook in my W10 PC. Using Outlook 3
K Run a script rule to auto 'send again' on undeliverable emails? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Send a greeting message to a contact on birthday Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
T Outlook creates a copie of every mail I send Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
R How to restrict GWSMO sync to Outlook Send/Receive cycles Using Outlook 0
M Outlook, send to > mail recipient - results in plain text email Using Outlook 1
A Unflag Inbox and Flag Inbox with Orange Category After Item is send Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
glnz O365 - How to send from acct 2 but showing email name from acct 1 as From - alias? Using Outlook 0
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
diver864 vba for a rule to automatically accept meeting requests with 'vacation' in subject, change to all-day event, change to free, don't send reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
PGSystemTester VBA To Change AppointmentItem.BusyStatus From MeetingItem Before Send Using Outlook 0
C Synchronizing subscribed folders causes hanging during send/receive process Using Outlook 2
M Extract all links from Outlook email, send to Excel Using Outlook 2
A VBA macro for 15 second loop in send and received just for 1 specific mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O Outlook 365 - suddenly unable to send using Gmail POP3 Using Outlook 10
T After I send a new email, it remains in the Draft folder Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
B Programmatically force html send and insert clipboard contents into body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Change VBA script to send HTML email instead of text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M ERROR: None of your email accounts could send to this recipient Using Outlook 2