troubleshooting slow startup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarge USMC

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm banging my head on the wall…I've got a computer running Outlook 2003 and it takes 2 minutes to start up. I've done all kinds of different suggestions that I've found online to try to fix this problem. I even went as far as to uninstall the 03 version and install the 2013 version and I still have the same problem. It takes two minutes for Outlook to start up. I don't know what to do at this point. This is a Windows 7 64 bit machine with 4 gigs of ram & 2.3 gig processor. Installed the 32 bit version of Outlook 2013 because he has a 32 bit version of Visio already installed so I had to go with the 32 bit version. Other office 2013 applications to start up normally. Word …Excel hit the button and boom.

So 2 different versions of the same program doing the same thing. Might anyone have some ideas for me in trying to deal with this issue…any help would be appreciated.

Semper Fi

Unfortunately, upgrading rarely fixes problems. :( Addins can cause it to load slow as can a large data file - outlook will check the data file for errors as it loads. It will repair errors and that can add load time.

I'd start with Safe mode - To open Outlook in Safe mode: Close Outlook then hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon. You'll get a message asking if you want to start in Safe mode. Click Ok.
Does it load faster?

If not, how many accounts are in the profile? What type of accounts are they? How many data files and how large is the biggest one?

Do you use any sync software or other software that accesses Outlook data? Other software accessing the data file can cause corruption that could slow down restarts.

Always close Outlook yourself, never let windows close it when you shut down Windows. Also, I recommend not using the option to automatically empty the deleted items folder on exit.

Unfortunately, upgrading rarely fixes problems. :( Addins can cause it to load slow as can a large data file - outlook will check the data file for errors as it loads. It will repair errors and that can add load time.

I'd start with Safe mode - To open Outlook in Safe mode: Close Outlook then hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon. You'll get a message asking if you want to start in Safe mode. Click Ok.
Does it load faster?

If not, how many accounts are in the profile? What type of accounts are they? How many data files and how large is the biggest one?

Do you use any sync software or other software that accesses Outlook data? Other software accessing the data file can cause corruption that could slow down restarts.

Always close Outlook yourself, never let windows close it when you shut down Windows. Also, I recommend not using the option to automatically empty the deleted items folder on exit.

No addins… ..the 03 data file was 225 megs… ..the 13 file is small… ..safe mode did nothing with 03… havent tried it with 13. the 13 install confused me because I didn't have to setup the email account or import contacts from the 03 version. They were there after the install was completed and I ran it for the first time. Is there a way to force the new version to start from scratch and let me create the email account and import the contacts from csv?

Okay I appreciate your help. I'll try it tomorrow. If a new profile and a new version doesn't correct the problem, I don't know if there's anything else to try.

Well, Outlook isn't going to win any speed races, but it shouldn't be *that* slow.

Ok, so I started outlook 13 in the safe mode and it starts right up. The 03 version didn't do that. It was slow starting up either way. So given that, I went to manage the add-ins, and there was a whole list of stuff that I shut off....and whaddya know....now it works.

Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.