Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian Iams

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
Hello,

I have a question regarding IMAP and Outlook 2013. At the company I work for, we have a support email address that four users manage and respond to. When one of our users works on and deletes a message from the support email, sometimes it doesn't sync to the other users and mark the messages as deleted for anyone but the individual who deleted them.

The former administrator has the users set so that when one deletes a message, it crosses out the message on all the other users, notifying them that the email has been responded to and worked. As this individual is no longer with the company, the responsibility has fallen to me and I am unfortunately somewhat unfamiliar with IMAP.

What I am looking to get is some guidance in ensuring that our users are all syncing correctly as well getting assistance regarding the settings (if any) to ensure that when one user reads and works on a message, on all other users, a strikethrough line is shown on the message indicating that it has been worked

Any guidance or assistance would be much appreciated

Ian

The default view is to hide messages marked for deletion - that is just a simple view change, which it sounds like you've already done.

Are the settings identical on all computers - did the person change any send receive settings? Ctrl+Alt+S to open the dialog and compare the settings. Check the autosync time then click Edit and select the imap account - make sure those settings are identical too.

The default view is to hide messages marked for deletion - that is just a simple view change, which it sounds like you've already done.

Are the settings identical on all computers - did the person change any send receive settings? Ctrl+Alt+S to open the dialog and compare the settings. Check the autosync time then click Edit and select the imap account - make sure those settings are identical too.

Diane,

Thanks for the assistance. I verified the settings in the different users and the only discrepancy I found is that 2 of my users, who are utilizing Outlook 2007, have the Send/Receive settings set to download only the headers of the mail, while the last two users, who utilize Outlook 2013, have it marked to download the complete item. I believe I read that in as far as IMAP accounts, Outlook 2013 doesn't support downloading just the headers for the messages. I thought maybe this would or could be causing a discrepancy when outlook attempt to sync the items across platforms.

Before I change this, I was wondering if you could give your opinion on this matter.

Thanks again for all your help,

Ian

Correct, Outlook 2013 only does full messages. I'm not sure it is the cause of your problems - it doesn't seem logical (but then, when is outlook logical? :)) I was thinking that the problem computer was syncing less often than the others.

Test it and see if it fixes it.

These are the settings I have set currently.

Send/Receive Groups

• Include this Group in send/receive (F9)
  • Schedule an automatic send/receive every 30 minutes
  • When outlook is offline, Include this group in send/receive (F9)
Send/Receive Settings - All Accounts (Support/IMAP Account selected)

• Include the selected account in this group
  • Send Mail Items
  • Get Folder unread count for subscribed folders
  • (Outlook 2013 Users) Receive Mail items
    • Download Complete Items
  • (Outlook 2007 Users) Receive Mail Items
    • Custom
      • Download Headers Only

I'm going to switch to a Download Complete on the two outlook 2007 machines. Apparently after speaking with both users, they sync up fine with each other but they don't see the actions that the 2013 users take and vice versa. 2013 users communicate together and 2007 users communicate okay together but they are talking cross version.

I'll try this and let you know. Thanks Diane

Ian

These are the settings I have set currently.

Send/Receive Groups

• Include this Group in send/receive (F9)
  • Schedule an automatic send/receive every 30 minutes
  • When outlook is offline, Include this group in send/receive (F9)
Send/Receive Settings - All Accounts (Support/IMAP Account selected)

• Include the selected account in this group
  • Send Mail Items
  • Get Folder unread count for subscribed folders
  • (Outlook 2013 Users) Receive Mail items
    • Download Complete Items
  • (Outlook 2007 Users) Receive Mail Items
    • Custom
      • Download Headers Only

I'm going to switch to a Download Complete on the two outlook 2007 machines. Apparently after speaking with both users, they sync up fine with each other but they don't see the actions that the 2013 users take and vice versa. 2013 users communicate together and 2007 users communicate okay together but they are talking cross version.

I'll try this and let you know. Thanks Diane

Ian

Diane,

Thanks for all your help. Changed the sync time on the 2013 PCs and the users have stated that everything seems to be working. Thanks for everything

Status
Not open for further replies.