Folder pane width change

Sim

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Sharing two links from the MS forum on the folder pane width issue; seems an increasing number of users is complaining:

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
I see Gabe is in the one thread - he is with the product team.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
porentially good news - they will be enabling the ability to make it smaller - no word on how much smaller. Time will tell if its satisfactory. (Experience tells me not to get my hopes up.)

Sim

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Same laptop, same build as posted in my latest screenshot, upon starting up outlook this morning:

2020-05-23.png

This was the only combination I haven't had so far ;) I'll just wait for updates. It seems out of our control ;)

luvnik

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Many many thanks rseiler and Diane - really appreciate your help here for making this easy and simple to understand. I was able to run the batch file and it has made the task very simple and easy.
Thank you indeed!

Outlook version
Outlook on the web
Email Account
Exchange Server
You can follow these steps to Resize the Navigation Pane:
  1. Hover your mouse pointer over the right border of the Navigation Pane.
  2. When the pointer becomes a double-headed arrow ,
  3. Click and drag the border to the left or right to resize width.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
You can follow these steps to Resize the Navigation Pane:
  1. Hover your mouse pointer over the right border of the Navigation Pane.
  2. When the pointer becomes a double-headed arrow ,
  3. Click and drag the border to the left or right to resize width.
Please read the entire thread and test it in Outlook 2016 - they know how to resize the pane, but it only goes so far left.

DL777

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
After running the bat file, I am still struggling to be able reduce the size of the left pane. I only want to see two letters of each folder but it is still requiring a very wide pane. Did the script not work for me? I ran as both admin and regular user. I would like to eliminate what is in red. Thanks for your help.
Running Office 365...

Snap1.jpg

rseiler

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
@DL777, to my knowledge you can't go that far. All we're talking about here is being able to get it to the point it seems that you've already gotten it.

Just a general comment on this thread: Deleting the Registry keys has always introduced some fun variability, like sometimes seeing search on top and sometimes seeing it in the old place (where it is mostly, but not always, when your folder pane is as desired). Or sometimes having Feedback in Help and sometimes not.

But today, after 16.0.13006.20002, and finding that I still needed to delete the keys, I found the font(!) used in the folder pane to be, shall we say, a tad on the bold side. It's really clear and really bold. As with most things these days, I don't know if this is something they're intending to do or not. On the same build, if I get into the mode where the folder pane is not as wanted, the fonts are normal. It's all so experimental.

LaneHoy

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 64-bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hello All

Thanks for the .bat file and the .reg file with the following registry deletions:
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\Ecs\outlook\ConfigContextData
  • HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\16.0\Common\ExperimentConfigs\FirstSession\outlook
I have three email accounts in Outlook, two of them allow free changing of the Folder Pane width, for the third email account the width is "frozen" and cannot be adjusted. Obviously I tried restarting Outlook (and the PC), removing and adding the account, removing and adding back to Favorites, etc. Running Outlook is Safe Mode allows free adjustment of Folder Pane width for all accounts, but the loss of functionality means that I cannot work in Safe Mode.

Deleting the two registry keys only partially solves the situation, as it allows REDUCING the width of the Folder Pane, but it does not allow INCREASING the width. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

rseiler

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
The problem has been dragging the border left. If you can't then drag it right (which is increasing the width), something is wrong. Or maybe you mean WAY WAY right? I can drag it right quite a ways, far further than anyone would want to, so I can't imagine you meant that, especially since you cared enough to go left in the first place. In short, I can drag it left and right at will.

NeilN

Outlook version
Outlook 2019 32-bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Regarding the auto-resizing of the "Favorites" pane. After the latest auto-update, I found the "Favorites" navigation pane would automatically narrow itself (some of my folder names are long for project purposes) to where only a few characters would be visible (much like others have indicated with their attachments).
I poked around a bit, and deselected the "Compact Navigation" box.
With Outlook open, go to File -> Options -> Advanced -> Outlook Panes -> Navigation Options
The check box is located at the top of the Navigation Options pop-up box:
1593443235803.png

So far, the "Favorites" pane has not narrowed itself. I'll delete this post if it does.
Hope it helps.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Outlook 365 - Folder pane list clears Using Outlook 24
P Add, remove, & reorder folder pane Using Outlook 6
N Wide Line Spacing in Folder pane 2016 Using Outlook 18
GregS What controls content of Folder Pane? Using Outlook 1
P Auto scroll to specific folder in Folder Pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
O Folder Pane problems Using Outlook 5
Diane Poremsky Outlook's Folder Navigation Pane Disappears New Slipstick.com Articles 2
L Should public contacts folder appear in "People" nav pane? Using Outlook 1
V Open Outlook Calendar and Tasks views with Folder pane off Using Outlook 2
Y (Shared Folder) Using the preview pane to open and close a fax, without opening the email itself Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2013: Permanently Unhide Scroll Bar in Folder Pane? Using Outlook 7
J How To Change Font Size For Folder Names on Navigation Pane in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
M Folder View in Unread Mail Pane - Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 6
N Favorite Folders list in outlook navigation pane, can you add a message to the favorite folder list Using Outlook 2
L Lost Task Views list in Navigation Pane when using Tasks Folder Using Outlook 1
P Closed a PST file or folder in the left hand pane and don't know how to get it back... Using Outlook 5
D Remove Outlook Data File Folder from Navigation Pane? Using Outlook 2
C Outlook 2010 Favorite folder pane display question Using Outlook 1
M updated outlook connector for outlook 2007, now folder list in navigation pane is truncated and fold Using Outlook 5
S Outlook 2010 - Reading pane blank when changing from one email folder to another - I have to click o Using Outlook 3
Z Lost "contacts in personal folders" file (folder) in the pane of Outlook contacts screen. Only seei Using Outlook 1
R Navigation Pane Folder Tree Using Outlook 3
Y View Reading Pane for Drafts folder Using Outlook 2
B Spam folder not showing in Outlook Using Outlook 5
D Is a sub folder under contacts necessary to be able to name an Address Book? Using Outlook 1
J Moved many emails to Outlook external folder, need to delete on Gmail server Using Outlook 13
A Going to folder using shortcuts Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2016 Auto-archive creates new folder Using Outlook 4
B BCC issues after changing root folder path for gmail Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2016 Creating a shared local Contacts folder Using Outlook 2
A Cannot copy this folder because it may contain private items Using Outlook 0
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
B Extracting email addresses from a folder - how to also get the name of the person the address is for? Using Outlook 5
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
J Moving Imported folder Using Outlook 2
R List folders in a combo box + select folder + move emails from inbox to that folder + reply to that email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Sent Items Folder NOT Showing Correct From Email Address Using Outlook 0
B VBA to Collapse Task Folder Groups Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Retired Geek Junk Folder Clean Up Rules Exchange Server Administration 1
D Outlook 2016 Deleting emails without affecting folder structure - Outlook Office 365 Using Outlook 3
T Missing Folder in Outlook.com Using Outlook 3
R Setup autofoward rule on a particular folder in Outlook Using Outlook 0
T After I send a new email, it remains in the Draft folder Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
N Outlook 2016 Folder Icons Look Using Outlook 0
S Create A Search Folder That Looks For Message Class? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Deleting emails from storage folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B Outlook - Mail from safe senders list being sent to Spam Folder Using Outlook 0
R Search/Jump to a folder by typing its name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Sent mail not showing in Sent Items folder; but they can be found with Search Using Outlook 3
A Create date folder and move messages daily Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1