Outlook 2016 Sent Items vs Sent Messages

Status
Not open for further replies.

GregS

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I have both a Sent Items folder and a Sent Messages folder. I also have an empty "Outbox" folder and an empty "Sent Mail" folder. Can I delete the empty folders? What is the difference between the purpose of the Sent Items folder and the Sent Messages folder? Reading some other threads I'm guessing it may be because I have an IMAP folder for my main mail and an Exchange folder for Outlook.com.
**Second question: Can I forward mail from inside the Sent Items folder? I''m having problems with this. Also problems forwarding from a folder where I store incoming messages that I've read but want to hold for future forwarding. Is that allowed?
Many thanks.

Are the folders all in one mailbox? The imap and exchange mailboxes each need their own sent folder and outbox.

Assuming all are in the IMAP: the multitude of sent folders is because you use imap and (most likely) an iphone.
Sent Items <== Outlook's default folder name for the folder where mail you send goes
Sent Messages <== iphone uses
Outbox <== this is where outlook stores messages waiting to send. They will be here for just a few seconds if you use Send Immediately.
Sent Mail <== IMAP server's default.

Outlook *should* use the folder the server says is sent mail - if not, you might be able to change the server to use the folder outlook uses. iphone's folder can be changed in iphone settings.

You can't delete the imap's folder (it will keep coming back) and should not delete the one the phone uses until after you change the phone settings.

**Second question: Can I forward mail from inside the Sent Items folder? I''m having problems with this. Also problems forwarding from a folder where I store incoming messages that I've read but want to hold for future forwarding. Is that allowed?
Oops. Forgot this. since its Outlook's Sent items folder, you might be able to use an After Sending Rule to move the mail. Or you can drag it to other folders periodically. I have a macro that can watch the folder and move mail as it shows up in this folder.

Better is to sort out what is using each sent folder and get all to use the same one (assuming all are in one account).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
icacream Outlook 2021 Win 10 - Nothing goes in my Drafts or Sent items folders ! Using Outlook 1
J Names in sent items suddenly show as Bob Smith (bobsmith@sample.com) Using Outlook 3
M Messages Intermittently Dont Arrive In Sent Items After Sending Successfully Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2016 Outlook not saving Sent Items Using Outlook 4
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
D Mail in Sent Items Gone Using Outlook 12
GregS Outlook 2016 Sent Mail absent from Sent Mail or Sent Items Folders Using Outlook 4
J Sent Items Folder NOT Showing Correct From Email Address Using Outlook 0
J Outlook Reply > From > Other Email Address... > Address Not Showing in Sent Items... From Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Sent mail not showing in Sent Items folder; but they can be found with Search Using Outlook 3
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
V Items missing in Sent folder Using Outlook 10
M Sent Items Folder is Present but Not Displayed Using Outlook 2
S Send email via SMTP - use transport rules to add to senders inbox (then rule to move to sent items Exchange Server Administration 1
Diane Poremsky Mark Sent Items as Read After Copying with a Rule Using Outlook 0
P Sent items folder vs sent folder Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Display the Recipient Email Address in the Sent Items Folder Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Save Sent Items in Shared Mailbox using an Exchange Server Cmdlet Using Outlook 0
S HOW CAN I CHANGE THIS TO SENT ITEMS Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Email Appearance in Sent Items Folder Using Outlook 1
M Move Sent Items from server folder to personal folder Using Outlook 2
K Sent Items not holding Newest on Top Using Outlook 3
F Get details of sent items with Access VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S categorizing and Filing sent mail items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J VBA to copy sent items to folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G Macro to move sent items from local folder to IMAP folder Using Outlook 4
R Move sent items emails to hard disk Using Outlook 10
T From Field Blank when saving to folder other than Sent items Using Outlook 2
J Rule to put ONLY sent items in specific folder Using Outlook 1
L Outlook sent items. (email) Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 2013 using DAMO (connector for Domino) Sent Items Issue Using Outlook 2
T Message not arriving in default accounts Sent Items folder when using Send to Using Outlook 2
V Archiving Sent Items Using Outlook 1
O New to Outlook 2013, dealing with copying vs. moving sent items Using Outlook 0
J sent email not reflected on sent items Using Outlook 1
R View who sent on behalf of a shared mailbox in Outlook sent items Using Outlook 1
P move mails after send to central mailbox-sent items folder Using Outlook 4
T Sent Items Rule and Client Only Using Outlook 5
B Can't see Sent Items folder in OL 2010 Imap Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2010 IMAP Sent Items some items appear in Outlook Data File Using Outlook 3
G Nothing in 'Sent Items' folder in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
B Outlook 2k3 with Exchange: Browsing Sent items without downloading? Using Outlook 2
C Print all emails in a single folder with sent items Using Outlook 2
G Sent Items Using Outlook 5
G Manually created Sent Items folder is lost Using Outlook 4
B Sent Items Not Displaying in Outlook 2010 Client Using Outlook 2
S Autoforward Sent Items Using Outlook 1
H Sent emails end up in duplicate in Sent items folder Using Outlook 13
J Sent Items Folder Isn't Showing the Most Recent Sent Items Using Outlook 7
J Sent Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12