Connecting Gmail to Outlook 365 - My Setup not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

davegoodo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
My situation is that I am changing Internet Service Providers which means my current email will become inactive. My plan to remedy this is to use Gmail as a service to use Outlook as my front-end email application, where I have an existing folder structure as well as an archive and many years worth of content. I want to preserve this. The icon on the side says I have Outlook 2016 but I have Outlook 365.

I can see the benefit and flexibility with Gmail to service my Desktop PC which is my main machine, my Laptop, my iPad and iPhone where the Apple devices use the Apple Mail app which is fed by Gmail. These are useful for mobility of application. So, for the next 12 months I will pay for my existing email address to divert and forward emails to my Outlook 365 application on my PC. At present, this existing address is set up as a POP service (which is the recommended protocol by the ISP) but if I need to change it I will. This account is the Default address within Outlook. I have set up an IMAP connection within Outlook for Gmail which at present doesn't deliver anything to Outlook. If any of this is confusing please let me know and I'll change it or explain it.

Within Gmail settings I have POP disabled and IMAP enabled. These are the only settings I have made and there has been no email forthcoming from Gmail into Outlook. I have done research on this forum but haven't found the settings that will work for me. I would appreciate any suggestions that could help me get this setup working, can you help? Thanks.

Outlook-365 is just the Subscription-model or how you pay for the desktop program. It used to be Office-2013, but now it's Office-2016 or the next one.

Try setting-up the way I do it. Here are my notes:

Office 2016 - To get the full options for email accounts (for easy editing)
File / Account Settings / Manage Profiles / Email Accounts / select one / Change.
"Test Account Settings" should also work for each if configured properly.

Gmail Notes:
- You can use either IMAP or POP3 (in email client) to access your Gmail account . You can allow either or both in gmail.com Settings. I have both Enabled.
- If you send an email to yourself in Outlook (through the Outlook Account you have setup for Gmail) it shows in Inbox AND Sent Items, in both Outlook and Gmail.com (pretty cool).
- Since Outlook is considered "Less Secure" , in main Google Account Settings / Security (not gmail.com Settings) you must set "Less Secure App Access" to ON.
- It is working WITHOUT an App Password and I currently have 2-Step verification OFF.
- So, for my iPhone and iPad, this gmail account seems to work as IMAP, but in my desktop Outlook-2016, more like POP3.
- Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help

Outlook-365 is just the Subscription-model or how you pay for the desktop program. It used to be Office-2013, but now it's Office-2016 or the next one.

Try setting-up the way I do it. Here are my notes:

Office 2016 - To get the full options for email accounts (for easy editing)
File / Account Settings / Manage Profiles / Email Accounts / select one / Change.
"Test Account Settings" should also work for each if configured properly.

Gmail Notes:
- You can use either IMAP or POP3 (in email client) to access your Gmail account . You can allow either or both in gmail.com Settings. I have both Enabled.
- If you send an email to yourself in Outlook (through the Outlook Account you have setup for Gmail) it shows in Inbox AND Sent Items, in both Outlook and Gmail.com (pretty cool).
- Since Outlook is considered "Less Secure" , in main Google Account Settings / Security (not gmail.com Settings) you must set "Less Secure App Access" to ON.
- It is working WITHOUT an App Password and I currently have 2-Step verification OFF.
- So, for my iPhone and iPad, this gmail account seems to work as IMAP, but in my desktop Outlook-2016, more like POP3.
- Less secure apps & your Google Account - Google Account Help
Thanks for your help, I have been able to get emails flowing from Gmail now. I'm not sure which tweak made the difference but I rebooted Outlook and lo and behold there were the emails. So, my problem with this issue has been fixed. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.