Icons (arrows) not showing on emails forwarded or replied to

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ched

Outlook version
Outlook 365 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi I have seen this query posted many times - years apart and can see no clear answer that works. Been hit and miss over the last few months but when I forward an email it will mark it as read but does not let me know if I have replied to or forwarded said email. This means having to go into sent email to see what happened. Today I can see icons against a couple of the emails I replied to yesterday (not all) and no icons against any emails I have dealt with today :mad:
This is an office PC and cant remember having any issues at all until we upgraded (not by choice) to 365 and had to pay dearly for the privilege. Grateful for any help.

It's an IMAP issue - Outlook is sometimes bad at displaying the icon - you may see it immediately or always on the computer where you sent the reply from but not on other computers that are syncing. They fix it, then it breaks again.

Thank you for quick reply and sorry to have asked the same question as many before me. Just thought they may have got their act together and finally fixed it for good. Thanks for getting back to me Diane.

Update on problem which you may find interesting! This morning I managed to contact Microsoft support and they provided the following guidance -

Thank you for contacting Microsoft In-App support. My name is Krishna and will be glad to assist you with this issue.

As per your issue description, I see that icons are not appearing by emails that I have either forwarded on or replied to in your Outlook.

Let us run Office Quick repair,
- Close Outlook.
- Press Windows key and R key simultaneously on the keyboard.
- Type appwiz.cpl and hit Enter.
- Select Microsoft Office application or Office 365 from the list > click on Change > choose Quick Repair.
- Wait until Quick repair completes. Once done, check the behavior.

Please do keep me posted. Thank you!

So far this is working for me - I have icons back!
Hope this helps other sufferers (and hope this fix lasts!)

thought they may have got their act together and finally fixed it for good.
It's microsoft... 😁 They do occasionally fix things though.

Yeah, repair usually fixes it for a while.... fortunately, quick repair is fast and easy.

Hi I have seen this query posted many times - years apart and can see no clear answer that works. Been hit and miss over the last few months but when I forward an email it will mark it as read but does not let me know if I have replied to or forwarded said email. This means having to go into sent email to see what happened. Today I can see icons against a couple of the emails I replied to yesterday (not all) and no icons against any emails I have dealt with today :mad:
This is an office PC and cant remember having any issues at all until we upgraded (not by choice) to 365 and had to pay dearly for the privilege. Grateful for any help.
Sadly this is not a problem related to just IMAP connected clients. I consistently see this issue when moving between Outlook for iOS, macOS and Windows. I'm a MS partner and see this all the time, across all my clients as well, accessing Outlook from different platforms. Microsoft have been aware of this issue (confirmed through support cases) for a number of years and have always obfuscated the issue and written it off as an IMAP failure combined with "we don't support IMAP as a core function". However, as I have said, this is definitely not just an IMAP failure but a product-wide failure.

Microsoft will perceive this as a low value issue and will only look to address it when/if their customers start to make it a higher value issue. This is how software product development works these days.

Nothing is fixed simply because it is broken. If something is broken, it will only get fixed if it is creating enough of a liability to the product, whether that be reputationally or legally or otherwise. If it isn't perceived as enough of a liability and remains broken for long enough it'll make the list for retirement from the product, all together.

Sadly this is not a problem related to just IMAP connected clients. I consistently see this issue when moving between Outlook for iOS, macOS and Windows. I'm a MS partner and see this all the time, across all my clients as well, accessing Outlook from different platforms. Microsoft have been aware of this issue (confirmed through support cases) for a number of years and have always obfuscated the issue and written it off as an IMAP failure combined with "we don't support IMAP as a core function". However, as I have said, this is definitely not just an IMAP failure but a product-wide failure.

Microsoft will perceive this as a low value issue and will only look to address it when/if their customers start to make it a higher value issue. This is how software product development works these days.

Nothing is fixed simply because it is broken. If something is broken, it will only get fixed if it is creating enough of a liability to the product, whether that be reputationally or legally or otherwise. If it isn't perceived as enough of a liability and remains broken for long enough it'll make the list for retirement from the product, all together.
Do you think this problem can occur on outlook.com main web page?

You shouldn't see it with Outlook.com on the web or Exchange accounts, only IMAP accounts. The icon indicator is not picked up when the IMAP accounts sync with the server.

Status
Not open for further replies.