old mail continues downloading over and over

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjd

Outlook version
Email Account
IMAP
Every time I logged on and did a send/receive I would get over 20k emails trying to download.
Someone told me to make a new IMAP account, so I did that. Now I get "Fail to update headers" each time and I can't connect the mail folders from earlier to new account.
I am fairly technical but am quite challenged with this stuff, probably due to months of frustration.

Who is your email provider? When mail downloads over and over, something is preventing outlook from updating the mailbox manager file where the last downloaded message is stored. While IMAP prevents this problem, because it syncs everything in the mailbox, it's not always the best solution.

How frequently are you checking for new mail? Set it high for the first time, so outlook can get everything downloaded before the next automatic mail check kicks in.

Note that Outlook will download everything the first time you check mail after creating a new account. If you don't want everything downloaded, either delete the mail from the server or move it to a folder - outlook only downloads from the inbox.

I have a bellsouth.net provider (att) and pobox.com is my email forwarding account. I have been using pobox for over 10 years --and am not using as a server-- and bellsouth for about the same time.
I can't get them all to download as it always says that I'm out of space. I have plenty left on my drive so I'm not really sure what that's about but I have tried to let it all download several times.
I don't even have it set to auto check for mail anymore.

I made a new account as the last one was a POP3 account and I was told by someone in IT that I should us an IMAP account. Now I have Imap account and it says it is updating cache mail each time. The good thing is that it doesn't download it all into the new account. BUT I can't use all of my old email folders with the new account either.

I'm guessing the out of space message refers to your pst size. Is it near 1.9 GB? If so, it's the old format and has a size limit. A new pst file created in Outlook 2007 should use Unicode format and have unlimited file size.

Do you need all of the old mail left on the server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
O Outlook keeps downloading old mail Using Outlook 1
M Run rules after mail is 24 hours old Using Outlook 1
O synchronising a computer to an old (IMAP)mail account Using Outlook 2
J migrate outlook mail folders from user's old workstation to their new pc Using Outlook 6
A Outlook 365 (OutLook For Mac)Move "On My Computer" Folder Items From Old To New Mac Computer Using Outlook 3
T Outlook 365 Search Box reverting to old location Using Outlook 2
CWM550 Importing " Old Skool" Data Using Outlook 0
G Removing old emails when adding accounts Using Outlook 3
M Issues with templates - unable to find in old web app Using Outlook 3
M How to setup outlook after importing old account information - Entering email account info creates with "(1)" after the account! Using Outlook 1
G Inbox shows old email Using Outlook 3
W Outlook WAS facebook but there is no info for old accounts Using Outlook 0
C How to use VBA to show only items x days old or more Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Deleting Synchronisation of Old Accounts Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
semnaitik Archive PST is not empty but can't see old emails Using Outlook 2
CWM030 Call me old if you want. OL 2016 font size out of the box. Using Outlook 3
T Remove Old Location From Tasks Pane Using Outlook 1
O Having rules run on old mails noved to inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
R Would creating a new profile cause Outlook to download all the old mails from the server? Using Outlook 1
Steven 2007 New PC vs Old PC - Micro Font on Inbound Emails :( Using Outlook 4
J Delete old emails Exchange Server Administration 1
J Old unread emails on current date (MDaemon Server) Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2016 - use of old PST file - will all emails be downloaded or only latest?? Using Outlook 1
B Delete/replace old files and save new attachments Using Outlook 1
J Corrupt & new profile - old contacts? Using Outlook 2
A Updated custom form not showing with old items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C GoDaddy office 365 setup wizard erased old Outlook emails? Using Outlook 14
B Deleting old Stream_autocomplete and other files Using Outlook 1
J Automatically Move Old Items from a Shared Mailbox to a .PST on a Network Drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P deleting old UDP items in tasks Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R can I transfer outlook data from old pc by using .ost file instead of the .pst Using Outlook 5
B Old attachments do not open after Exchange 2007 edb recovery. Exchange Server Administration 3
P Restoring old sbb database in existing one BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
R IMAP & Outlook 2007: incoming messages still going to old Inbox. Using Outlook 3
K Outlook 2010 form is displaying old form layout Using Outlook 3
rezazy Do not download old email Using Outlook 1
R Can only see emails no later than two weeks old! HELP! Exchange Server Administration 6
R Can only see emails no later than two weeks old! HELP! Using Outlook 5
N User deleted old meetings? Using Outlook 1
L Messages in old PST display as code Using Outlook 1
Rupert Dragwater How to delete old rules and create new in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 12
D Outlook 2007- old reminder popups Exchange Server Administration 4
P Installation BCM impossible due to untraceable old SQL-server remains BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
R Rules - apply to messages > n days old Using Outlook 2
Katrina Fox Missing appointments on calendar even though transferred from old pst Using Outlook 0
D cleaning up old Exchange 2003 data on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
V Re-use old pst file? Using Outlook 1
J Old problems that never die BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
Jennifer Murphy How to Copy Categories from the Old ANSI PST to the New Unicode PST? Using Outlook 4