Transferring POP emails from Outlook 2002 to Outlook.com email in Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen1

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
Outlook.com (as MS Exchange)
I have installed Outlook 2013 on a new computer. I will be using a new Outlook.com email address as my email account.

I have emails from a Yahoo account in Outlook 2002 on my old computer (using POP) that I need to get into the new account and into Outlook 2013.

When I tested this previously with Outlook 2003 and Outlook Hotmail Connector it seemed simple. I could either (1) Copy the old emails as .msg files to an external Hard drive and then Paste them into Outlook 2003, which then synced to Outlook.com using the Outlook Hotmail Connector. Alternatively (2) I could export the PST file to the external hard drive and then Import them into Outlook 2003, which then synced to Outlook.com using the Outlook Hotmail Connector

From testing and from what I have read, both these methods do not work in Outlook 2013 due to the use of Exchange Active Sync.

I have read there is a workaround whereby you (a) set up the new Outlook.com account as an IMAP account rather than EAS in Outlook 2013, (b) transfer the messages to this IMAP account, (c) allow the messages to sync to the Outlook.com server, (d) remove the IMAP account from Outlook 2013, (e) add the Outlook.com account back as an EAS account in Outlook 2013 and the message should appear.

Questions:

(1) Have I understood the workaround correctly?

(2) I have set up the IMAP account in Outlook 2013, but when I imported the PST file for some reason about 95% of the emails show as if they have an attachment (i.e. they have a paperclip sign in both Outlook 2013 and in the synched version in Outlook.com) whereas most of the original files did not have an attachment. This is a problem as I can no longer establish which old emails actually do have attachments. Any ideas why this would happen and any ideas to stop all the attachment signs appearing? This is my current major sticking point – unless I can resolve this I cannot go any further.

(3) I am yet to try the last part of the process (removing the IMAP account and Adding it back as EAS) – does this work OK?

Unfortunately I no longer have easy access to the Outlook 2003 version to make the transfer of the files into outlook.com, so that method is not readily available.

1. Yes, you understand correctly. Note that you do not have to remove the EAS when you add the IMAP - you can leave both in your profile at the same time.

2. Do they have signatures or embedded images? Outlook shows those as attachments until the message is fully rendered.

3. Yes, it will work ok. You can add it back now and make sure mail is syncing down to Outlook ok.

Diane. Thanks so much for your quick response. If I may trouble you with some follow-up questions regarding your second point: “2. Do they have signatures or embedded images? Outlook shows those as attachments until the message is fully rendered.”

I would really like to see if there is a way I can remove the attachment signs from emails that do not contain actual attachments (by “actual attachments” I mean emails with Word, PDF, Excel, JPG files, etc. attached). I have been as specific as I can with my questions so hopefully they are clear and I am sure they will be of interest to others on the forum.

1. Yes it is definitely likely that many of the emails have signatures on them (some of which may have embedded images).

2. When I received the original messages in Outlook 2002 they did not show up as if they had attachments if they had signatures.

3. When I send a test email with my usual signature from either Outlook 2002 or Outlook 2013 to the new account in Outlook 2013 it does not show up as if it has an attachment. Why then does the imported PST file show a file with the same signature as if it has an attachment?

4. Could you explain the bit about “Outlook shows those as attachments until the message is fully rendered.”? What does fully rendered mean please? I have opened some of the imported files that show as having attachments when they do not have “actual attachments”, but when I hit ESC to go back to Outlook 2013, they still show with the paperclip sign as having attachments.

5. Now that I have the imported files in the test IMAP Outlook.com account I have set up in Outlook 2013, are there any ideas you have as to what I can do to remove the attachment signs for the files that do not have “actual attachments”? I would be prepared to do something labour intensive if it solved the issue.

6. Is there anything I can do in the settings in Outlook 2013 so when I do the PST import into the actual Outlook.com account I will be using, it will not show the attachment signs for the emails that do not have “actual attachments”?

7. If there is no way to solve this issue of getting these attachment signs on most of my PST imported emails, I could travel to a location where I have access to a computer running Outlook 2003. If I imported the PST into Outlook 2003, would I have the same issue of getting all these attachment signs for the emails that do not have “actual attachments” (I remember testing this process 18 months ago and don’t think I encountered the attachment issue, but cannot remember for sure)? I could then sync email up to Outlook.com using the Outlook Hotmail Connector.

8. It is not very easy to get to the PC running Outlook 2003. If I can find someone in UK to sell me Outlook 2010, again, would I have the issue of getting all these attachment signs for the emails that do not have “actual attachments” if I imported the PST into that? Is Outlook 2010 different from Outlook 2003 in this regard?

9. Regarding importing the PST file, I notice the individual file sizes of the imported files in Outlook 2013 differ from the size of the files in their original location in Outlook 2002. The smaller files are +/- 10KB different. Some of the files with actual attachments are significantly bigger in Outlook 2013 than those in the original Outlook 2002 location (by 40-100KB). Is this something I should be concerned about? Maybe it is all related to the previous issue of signatures/embedded images.

10. Finally, as a general point, is it better to (a) import PST files versus (b) simply copy/paste .msg files as a way to transfer files into Outlook from an old to new PC? Is any data lost or added using either method?

I’m sure this isn’t relevant, but FYI I am running a brand new version of Outlook 2013 (bought as part of Office 365 Home Premium) on a new laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro.

Apologies for the long list of questions. Many thanks. Stephen.

2. It's a difference in email account types. In the case of IMAP and EAS, you'll often see the paperclip for a few seconds as it syncs. I don't know of anyway to remove it or avoid it. It's just a limitation of the way the account is synced. Do the attachment icons disappear if you view the message?

3. Does the signature have an embedded image? Linking to an image on a website won't show as an attachment.

4. Typically, until Outlook downloads the full message and displays it, embedded images will show up as attachments. As soon as they are displayed as embedded in the image, the attachment icon disappears.

5. AFAIK, you can't.

6. No. If you are seeing attachment icons for messages that don't have attachments (either attached or embedded), I'm wondering if they are winmail.dat files. Outlook.com can't display winmail.dat files and it wasn't unusual for users to use RTF with Outlook 2002.

7. I have no idea if that will solve the problem.

8. I have no idea if the problem will occur in Outlook 2010 with the outlook connector. Keep in mind, if they are images embedded in a signature, they are still attachments.

9. Files should be about the same size. There might be a little size difference due to metadata. 100 KB seems ot be a lot though. I don't know if i have any files in a 2002 pst to test with - if i can find a virtual machine with 2002, 'll test it.

10. There shouldn't be a difference. Copy and paste (or drag and drop) gives you control over what is moved and it may be better to move fewer at a time, rather than import 1000's at once. Those would be my only considerations when deciding between import and copy/drag.

Diane. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply; it is so much appreciated.

I guess there is no obvious solution to my issue – but if you don’t know of one, I’m not sure who would!

Couple of updates to the points you made and a Copy/Paste question:

Point 2: I have tried viewing the messages, but the attachment icons do not disappear after having done so.

Point 4: I’m not sure I understand the point here (due to my lack of expertise), but again when I open the message the attachment icons do not disappear after having done so.

Point 6: I have just checked my Outlook 2002 settings and it is set to Compose Mail in HTML (if that is relevant).

Point 10: I prefer Copy/Paste but I thought I vaguely remembered reading somewhere that some metadata may get lost in the process (I'm probably wrong on this)? To be clear I will be copying/pasting the Outlook files from Outlook 2002 onto an external hard drive (which creates .msg files), and then copy/pasting them from the external hard drive into Outlook on the new PC.

When I tried this Copy/Paste process into Outlook 2013 (using an Outlook.com account set up as IMAP) there seemed to be a couple of problems:

a) The “Date Received” of the actual message is lost and replaced with the date the Copy/Paste to the external hard drive was done. This means all the messages have the same “Date Received” which is obviously a big problem

b) Each file displays with .msg appearing at the end of the “Subject” line, and I get a dialog box “Opening File” when I open each message

c) The original “From” data was all replaced with my name, again obviously a problem

d) The Copy/Paste test did not show any attachment icons in Outlook 2013, even for those messages that did contain attachments.

By contrast importing the identical dataset using export/import PST via an external hard drive preserved the “From” data and the “Date” Received data, but comes with the previously discussed problem of showing the attachment signs on most messages.

Am I doing something wrong with the Copy/Paste process?

Thank you. Stephen

2 & 4 - if you see the paperclip before opening the message and don't see it after opening it, then it is related to the rendering. Once Outlook renders the message, it won't should the paperclip. Might be able to use a macro to touch each one.

10. Oh. I thought you meant from Outlook folder to Outlook folder. msg files are always bigger than the file in the pst. Export to a pst file (or copy the current pst file, if using pop3) and copy the pst file to the new computer - either import or open it in outlook and copy or drag the message to the new pst file. This will fix most, if not all, of the other problems. I'm not sure it will fix the attachment icon problem... but the dates should be correct.

Thanks, Diane.

2&4 – opening the message unfortunately does not remove the paperclip, so I guess it is not related to rendering.

10. Thanks for clearing up my confusion there; I’ll stick with the PST route.

I will try and get access to a computer running Outlook 2003 or 2010 to see if the import does not generate the paperclips (this may take a week or two).

I will report back if I have success.

Thanks again for your assistance. Stephen

Diane.

I am yet to get access to a computer running Outlook 2003 or 2010 to see if the import does not generate the paperclips, and will report back on that when I can.

Whilst waiting for this I added an EAS account to Outlook 2013, using the same Outlook.com account as the IMAP one I already set up. This raised some issues/questions that perhaps you could shed some light on?

1) The EAS version does not display the same number of messages as in the IMAP folder, e.g. the Sent Folder contained circa 1400 messages in EAS vs. circa 1500 in the IMAP version

2) With the exception of 5 messages, the EAS version mails each have a File Size of 0 B. When I click on a 0 B message to open it, the message does open correctly with the data contained

3) Only 1 of the messages in the EAS version has an attachment. Maybe that is because they haven’t synched due to the File Sizes showing as 0 B? There should be about 35 files with attachments.

Is there something obvious that strikes you as to what could be wrong here?

Also, regarding the initial IMAP import, I note Outlook.com has folders named “Sent” and “Deleted”, whereas Outlook 2013 has “Sent Items” and “Deleted Items”. Do these map correctly to each other or should I go in and rename the Outlook 2013 folders to Sent and Deleted?

Many thanks. Stephen

Diane.

Update.

I am still testing this so am not 100% sure it is working perfectly, but I think importing my files into Outlook 2003 and then using the Outlook Connector to sync to Outlook.com appears to have gotten around the issue of all the attachment signs appearing on my imported emails.

Using a test account I now have the old POP emails in Outlook 2013 using EAS.

This has raised some another question which I will post separately.

Many thanks. Stephen

Status
Not open for further replies.