Outlook 2007 Open Folder From a Contact

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMS

Outlook version
Email Account
Exchange Server
In each Contact, whether it is in a subfolder, sub sub folder or sub sub sub folder, there is the normal field that shows the name of the folder that the contact is in.

When open the contact form the calendar event, it is the same, but many many marcos do work re the contact when it is opened from the calendar event.

So is there a macro you can give me, that when I open the contact, I run the macro opens up the folder that the contact is in from the field name of the folder in the contact...that way I can open the contact again very quickly and do what I need to do...and of course if the code opens up the folder and the contact, that would be even better....

Thanks so much as usual, as this is important again my timing etc.

In each Contact, whether it is in a subfolder, sub sub folder or sub sub sub folder, there is the normal field that shows the name of the folder that the contact is in.

When open the contact form the calendar event, it is the same, but many many marcos do work re the contact when it is opened from the calendar event.

So is there a macro you can give me, that when I open the contact, I run the macro opens up the folder that the contact is in from the field name of the folder in the contact...that way I can open the contact again very quickly and do what I need to do...and of course if the code opens up the folder and the contact, that would be even better....

Thanks so much as usual, as this is important again my timing etc.

Just to be clear, when I open a contact from a calendar event the macros to do work as to the contact.

Where in the contact is the folder path? As I have a code that opens up a folder or subfolder etc....so also as to this code, how can I say the last folder name name2 is the field words of the contact?

Public Sub OpenFolder()

Dim fldContacts As outlook.MAPIFolder

Set fldContacts = Session.GetDefaultFolder(olFolderContacts).Folders("Name").Folders("Name2")

fldContacts.Display

End Sub

This did it, but it asks to go to the folder, not just automatically open it...so what can we add on the display side that it just opens the folder?

And, can we add anything else that it opens the folder it opens the contact in the folder of the FullName from the Contact opened from the calendar?

Public Sub GetItemsFolderPath()
Dim obj As Object
Dim F As outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim Msg$
Set obj = Application.ActiveWindow
If TypeOf obj Is outlook.inspector Then
Set obj = obj.currentItem
Else
Set obj = obj.Selection(1)
End If
Set F = obj.Parent
Msg = "The path is: " & F.FolderPath & vbCrLf
Msg = Msg & "Switch to the folder?"
If MsgBox(Msg, vbYesNo) = vbYes Then
Set Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = F

End If

End Sub

I found to delete the following: "If MsgBox(Msg, vbYesNo) = vbYes Then" and "End If", and it opens the folder automatically...so what can we add so it opens the same contact?

The folder may have many many contacts so I have to find it. Can we add to the code to open the contact autmatically?

As a thought, is there a code that searches just the folder and opens the contact?

I still don't understand what you're trying to achieve. You can open the appointment anytime, then double click the linked contact to open it.

When I open the contact from the calendar link, some macros for the contact do not work. So I need to open the contact from its folder

That sounds like the macros depend on the contact being the selected item, which'd be a weak design. What you want now, that is getting the contact from the Links collection, finding and activating its folder, then selecting the contact would be a lot of work. And then you'll probably realize that your calendar isn't the active folder anymore, and most likely you'll want to get back anyhow.

Instead of doing all this workarounds I'd suggest you modifiy the other macros. This demos how to work with an item, no matter whether it is the selected one in a folder, or the active open item. If no ContactItem is selected, it will leave the procedure without raising an error. You can incorporate this into the other macros so they can handle both situations:

dim c as contactitem
dim obj as object
if typeof application.activewindow is explorer then
if application.explorer.count then set obj=application.explorer.selection(1)
else
set obj=application.activeinspector.currentitem
endif
if not obj is nothing then
if typeof obj is contactitem then set c=obj
endif
if c is nothing then exit sub

The problem is that Outlook doesn't offer a way to select an item, only open it. You could try sending the contact name to find it.

This should work but I can't test it on my version of Outlook. You'd need to reopen the contact.

Code:
Public Sub GetItemsFolderPath()
Dim obj As Object
Dim F As Outlook.MAPIFolder
Dim txtSearch As String

Set obj = Application.ActiveWindow
If TypeOf obj Is Outlook.Inspector Then
Set obj = obj.currentItem
Else
Set obj = obj.Selection(1)
End If
Set F = obj.Parent
Set Application.ActiveExplorer.CurrentFolder = F

txtSearch = "fullname:" & obj.FullName
Application.ActiveExplorer.Search txtSearch, olSearchScopeCurrentFolder

End Sub

FWIW, provided you don't have contacts by the same name in different folders, you should be able to search all contact folders instead of looking up the specific folder.
http://www.slipstick.com/developer/instant-search-messages-selected-contact/

Hmm. Thought #2. I wonder if it would work to use - or something along the lines of closing it then finding it in the folder.
obj.Close olSave
obj.Display

If i recall correctly, using that code wasn't working for contacts opened from links. It's possible I'm thinking of something else... or it was specific to something else in the macro. (I don't have time right now to go through his other threads to find that discussion. )

Thanks. I'll check it out. :)

In addition to what we have looked into, the following code is an code that creates an email to a selected contact or open contact using one of my email templates...but if I open the contact from the link on the calendar event, it does not work...so what do we change so it works however I open the contact...and also, please show me what to put in and/or change and where...so I am done with it...thanks much

Sub EmailForm()
Dim objApp As Application
Dim objNS As NameSpace
Dim objFolder As MAPIFolder
Dim objMsg As mailItem
Dim objItem As Object

Set oContact = objItem
Set objApp = CreateObject("Outlook.Application")
Set objNS = objApp.GetNamespace("MAPI")

Set objSelection = objApp.ActiveExplorer.Selection

For Each objItem In objSelection

Set objMsg = Application.CreateItemFromTemplate("C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates\Emailform.oft")
With objMsg

.To = objItem.Email1Address & ";" & objItem.Email2Address

objMsg.Display

End With
'objMsg.Send
Next
Set objMsg = Nothing
Set objItem = Nothing
Set objFolder = Nothing
Set objNS = Nothing
Set objApp = Nothing
End Sub

And this code copies the name of the FullName field if I open up the contact from the folder or even the calendar event...but it does not work, if I click on the email address of the person that sends me the email and it opens up his contact, but his code does not work...so what to change here specifically please?

Sub CopyFullName()
Dim oContact As contactItem
'DataObj As MSForms.DataObject

Set oContact = ActiveExplorer().Selection.item(1)
Set DataObj = New MSForms.DataObject
DataObj.SetText oContact.fullname
DataObj.PutInClipboard
End Sub

The latter code is a very good example for you to get it done yourself. As you can read in the code, it refers to the one selected item. Incorporate my example, so it can handle both either the selected item, or the open item. And don't forget to rename my ContactItem variable by yours.

Please show me where to put your example in my code and how to do the rename. If you can, please just change my code so i can try it as I am not the technical expert. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.