POP vs IMAP on iDevices

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejp

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
POP3
I'm helping a friend who's wife has an iPhone and iPad while he uses the iMac. Both use Apple mail.

They have IMAP implemented so when she deletes an email from their joint acct. on her iPad, it disappears on his desktop computer, but he wants it retained. She also has her own email acct just for her devices.

I have not used POP for some years, but recall, in Windows at least, a box with POP that said "leave email on server". Would that work for them? I realize that there would be redundant copies of everything on all devices and they'd have to redundantly manage each email on each device but this may be ok with them.

It seems to me that with POP, if "leave email on the server" is enabled, it becomes the same as IMAP, but my memory is fuzzy on this. What am I missing?

thanks!

Your memory is correct on how pop3 behaves with mail left on the server - and as long as the iPhone and iPhone support pop3, you can add it as pop3. A better option might be using an archive folder on the phone and ipad - you can swipe to get messages out of her face into the archive folder. He'll use the archive folder to see what she deleted.

Hmm, and he'll see the same archive folder on his device? it's his iPhone or iMac desktop.

thank you, even though I had this in the wrong forum.

I'll double check on my iPhone, but AFAIK, yes, as long as the phone is configured to archive it, not delete it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
TomHuckstep Remove Send/Receive All Folders (IMAP/POP) button from Outlook 365 Ribbon Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i A few question before I decide to switch to Pop from imap Using Outlook 9
L Gmail POP, Android IMAP, Outlook 2013 setup close Using Outlook 5
V Switching from IMAP to POP Using Outlook 3
D is it possible to have both a POP and IMAP account in Outlook 2013? Using Outlook 5
L IMAP and POP email in same Outlook system Using Outlook 1
M Converting from POP to IMAP with Comcast Using Outlook 5
P Changing from POP to IMAP; will this setup work? Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 11 for Mac - Imap or Pop Account Type Using Outlook 6
S Converting outlook 2010 pop account and folders to imap with gmail Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Help required for multiple identities when switching from POP to IMAP Using Outlook 1
J imap and pop accounts to new server? Using Outlook 3
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2021 not letting me setup my Gmail using pop Using Outlook 1
CWM550 I'm thinking about switching back to POP Using Outlook 11
C Pop Server Changing Verizon/Aol to Yahoo Using Outlook 6
C Transfer Autocomplete from Pop to Exchange Using Outlook 3
P PST file is getting huge under POP 3 Using Outlook 2
H In outlook 365 POP mail Inbox, email takes a long time or never arrives. Using Outlook 1
B Copy/Move Exchange inbox to Pop inbox Using Outlook 4
O Get Outlook on your phone for free - web page pop up Using Outlook 8
J Change POP account to Forwarder - What happens in Outlook? Using Outlook 2
P Contacts gone missing in Outlook 2013 POP Using Outlook 4
I Make a macro in line rather than pop out Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
CWM550 Infomational pop up Using Outlook 2
J Why are emails for a different pop account copied to outlook.com account? Using Outlook 1
T Adding "Mark As Complete" btton to Task Remindet Pop-Up Using Outlook 3
G Outlook calendar entry corrupted. Constant pop up when you open outlook. Unable to delete or remove. Using Outlook 2
Jennifer Murphy Exit Without Sending pop-up restarts countdown Using Outlook 11
V Question on pop email Using Outlook 2
M Link POP account with Outlook.fr Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2013 Windows Phone, Outlook 365/2013 POP Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
M Rule to pop a warning dialogue on certain actions Using Outlook 1
M Blank Pop-up Window when click "Manage Sharing" BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
R Cant reinstall POP email account Using Outlook 2
S PoP up reminder while opening the outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Pop up reminder while i close outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
T Constantly Occuring Login Pop-Up Window Using Outlook 1
P POP mail password popup after I deleted the accopunt Using Outlook 6
Sarge USMC Outlook 13 not displaying POP inbound emails Using Outlook 12
S Transferring POP emails from Outlook 2002 to Outlook.com email in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
O Outlook 2013 EAS Account and POP Account - Common Sent Folder Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 21
S categories are being cut off after selecting from category pop up form Using Outlook 3
K EAS and POP folders in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
A How to disable the pop-up “Reponses to this meeting will not be tallied." Using Outlook 0
O Multiple Exchnage profiles simultaneously and hovering pop-up contact card ! Using Outlook 17
D Imported Tasks - Pop Up does not work Using Outlook 3
S Removing an Exchange Server account, retaining POP accounts Exchange Server Administration 1
S No Pop Up Reminders in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
L Download/export multiple POP accounts Using Outlook 1
T Change from exchange server to pop when I set up outlook wrong Exchange Server Administration 1