Synchronizing subscribed folders causes hanging during send/receive process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisokia

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
This is an account I inherited. It has a good 40 folders of which I use 5 or 6. They have items that cannot be deleted and I don't want to archive them. I have a personal outlook account and it has a good amount of folders and does not exhibit this behavior so it seems to be that outlook should be handle this other account.
It does not get a ton of traffic. The folder is about a 1.5Gb.

It takes forever to sync folders causing me to have to wait and sometimes miss emails because they arrive much later than expected.
I followed a post here saying to check/uncheck (can't remember) download headers but I don't see that as an option in Office 365.

I did this and it helped but its still way too slow.
  • Click Query
  • Select all your IMAP folders
  • Click Unsubscribe. Outlook may warn you some folders are ‘special’. Click OK if this warning appears
  • Click OK
  • Close and re-open Outlook.
  • Select your Inbox
  • From the menu click Folder > IMAP Folders
  • Click Query
  • Select all your IMAP folders
  • Click Subscribe
  • Uncheck When displaying heirachy in Outlook, show only subscribed folders.
  • Click OK

any thoughts?

The account you inherited is IMAP? Did you try unsubscribing from the folders you don't use?

Go to Send & Receive settings - Ctrl+Alt+S - the check every nn minutes should be set to at least 5 minutes, higher is better. Then click Edit, select the account.

Note, you can also access this dialog from File, Options, Advanced, Send/Receive button or the Send/Receive menu, Send/Receive Groups, Define Send/Receive Groups. I would try disabling the option for Get folder unread count for subscribed folders - and maybe Use the custom behavior defined below - with only the folders you use selected.

2020-02-17_22-17-38-0000.png

Hi,

Yes.,..that is how I have it set up. Only the 2 main inboxes are subscribed too. I keep these clean by moving emails to subfolders so there are maybe 20 emails 20 in the 2 sub'd inbox folders.

Nevertheless Outlook is constantly syncing '5 seconds remaining'

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 365 - Tasks are not synchronizing? Using Outlook 7
Diane Poremsky Synchronizing Outlook with a Smartphone Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Synchronizing Outlook on Two Computers Using Outlook 0
P Outlook Keeps Synchronizing IMAP "Sent Mail" Folder Using Outlook 0
D Outlook 2013 stopped synchronizing with my IMAP account Using Outlook 0
J Synchronizing Contact "File As" Using Outlook 2
M Can you stop "Microsft Office Outlook is synchronizing folders"? Using Outlook 2
T Outlook Error synchronizing your folder hierarchy : 80041050. Send Not Receive Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
H while synchronizing error is coming Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
W Outlook contacts not synchronizing with iPAQ BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
G Search Folders and Jump to Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Sync Outlook Public Folders to Contacts Using Outlook 2
U When opening shared Calendar "The set of folders cannot be opened" Using Outlook 0
Witzker Outlook 2019 Macro to seach in all contact Folders for marked Email Adress Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
TomHuckstep Remove Send/Receive All Folders (IMAP/POP) button from Outlook 365 Ribbon Using Outlook 2
C Trying to move messages between imap accounts/folders Using Outlook 5
icacream Outlook 2021 Win 10 - Nothing goes in my Drafts or Sent items folders ! Using Outlook 1
kburrows Outlook Email Body Text Disappears/Overlaps, Folders Switch Around when You Hover, Excel Opens Randomly and Runs in the Background - Profile Corrupt? Using Outlook 0
P now on office 365 but getting error messages about missing Outlook 2013 cache folders Using Outlook 2
CWM550 Saving Data: Don't check certain folders Using Outlook 2
J Unable to delete folders in Outlook 2019 / Windows Using Outlook 0
D This folder up to date vs all folders up to date Using Outlook 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Adjusting font size in folders Using Outlook 1
Abraham Outlook 2013 Lost my folders when moving from PST to IMAP Using Outlook 11
J How to import many msg into different public folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
I Outlook for Mac 2019 using on desktop and laptop IMAP on both need help with folders Using Outlook 1
O Cannot expand the folder. The set of folders cannot be opened. You do not have permission to log on. Using Outlook 1
F VBA to move email from Non Default folder to Sub folders as per details given in excel file Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
R Moved 6 months worth (approx 1500 emails) lost from moving from TPG inbox to Icloud inbox (folders) Using Outlook 3
C What folders are needed when reinstalling Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
P Color Code or highlight folders in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
A Moving Public Folders to New Database Exchange Server Administration 3
Paul Hobbs Automatically accept "Empty Folders" prompt Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
R Problem moving file “Email folders.pst” to new PC Using Outlook 5
D How To Combine Share Task Folders in just one Folder Using Outlook 0
R How to Sync *all* Google Workspace Mail Folders with Outlook 2019 (MS365) Using Outlook 3
Witzker print-list-of-outlook-folders with sort posibility Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
vodkasoda Hiding empty Folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Not sync folders not found after MS Outlook 365 update Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear Shared Public Folders Access and Use Exchange Server Administration 0
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 2
D Custom Search Folders not refreshing/updating automatically Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2016 remove envelope icon for certain folders Using Outlook 5
GregS Outlook 2016 Sent Mail absent from Sent Mail or Sent Items Folders Using Outlook 4
R List folders in a combo box + select folder + move emails from inbox to that folder + reply to that email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
A Custom VBA to sort emails into folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0