Status
Not open for further replies.

beerponghero

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Hi All-

I was wondering if anyone encountered an issue with Outlook 2013 where receiving new emails took extremely long?

As soon as I open Outlook 2013, I expect new emails from my Godaddy hosted imap email account to arrive right away, however, I don't. I will get an alert on my smartphone that I have new email, check my Outlook 2013 inbox, and nothing. I've tried pushing the send/receive all folders button, updated folder, tried changing ports on incoming server, and still NOTHING. If I log into my web account and check email, sure enough, it's there, but nothing comes up in my inbox. I'll have to wait anywhere between 5 mins - to a few hours for email to show up.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution?

Thanks

BPH

Is the account configured in Send and Receive settings? Does it ever receive mail in a timely manner? I know Outlook 2013 will tend to stop getting mail after the computer wakes up - its supposed to be fixed in RTM.

I reviewed the "Define Send/Receive Groups" and do see my account configured (I only have this one account I use for Outlook 2013). I've never received email in a timely manner. Just now sending a test email from my gmail account to my work account, took about 2-3 minutes (outlook 2010 was almost instantaneous), and it arrives in bunches of emails. Very frustrating- also, the send folder can't be defined.

The sent and deleted folder is apparently not going to be changed - it will default to the server if the server supports it (I thought all did?)

There are some improvements to IMAP we won't see before RTM - I opened bugs on a lot of things reported in the TechNet forum and all were closed - most fixed, but some like the sent/deleted folders were closed and told me why they did what they did.

Sorry to post in a fairly dead thread but I just had this problem and thought I would share my solution in-case anyone else has this issue.

I had the same problem and spent 12 hours Google'ing trying to figure it out. In the end I managed to work it out myself. Turns out its due to Windows Firewall disabling a rule that allows outlook to get pushed emails. Follow these steps to get Outlook to push emails like it should:

1) Navigate to the Windows Firewall options (Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall)2) Click "Advanced settings" on the left side.

3) Click "Inbound Rules" on the left side of the dialogue that opens.

4) Find a rule called "Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol (SSTP-In)".

5) Right click it and select "Enable Rule".

Alternatively disable Windows Firewall but I have no alternative so would prefer to keep it on.

You're welcome, World.

Laz

EDIT: I use a Microsoft Exchange Activesync account but the above fix should be applicable to Exchange servers too.

I have tried this and I think I see it working.

Laz, I could KISS you!!!!!

Have been going nuts with this silly problem. Amazing how bad MS is with sorting out a mess like this.

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!!

Manish

Sorry to post in a fairly dead thread but I just had this problem and thought I would share my solution in-case anyone else has this issue.

I had the same problem and spent 12 hours Google'ing trying to figure it out. In the end I managed to work it out myself. Turns out its due to Windows Firewall disabling a rule that allows outlook to get pushed emails. Follow these steps to get Outlook to push emails like it should:

1) Navigate to the Windows Firewall options (Control Panel\System and Security\Windows Firewall)2) Click "Advanced settings" on the left side.

Alternatively disable Windows Firewall but I have no alternative so would prefer to keep it on.

You're welcome, World.

Laz

EDIT: I use a Microsoft Exchange Activesync account but the above fix should be applicable to Exchange servers too.

No worries at all mate. Glad i was able to help someone out - i've wasted more than enough time on it for everyone haha

Hi Laz,

Me again. Seems am back to square one. After the fix worked fine for a week, and mails came in immediately, back to square one. I have gmail open with my google apps ID logged in, and Outlook also. I see 6 mails in Gmail and in our great Outlook, the Send/Receive is forever loading and not a single new mial comes in.

I close OUtlook, reopen, THEN the mails come in right away.

No changes of course have been made to the settings as I followed your post. I use the default WIndows Antivirus, as well as defender and settings are as is.

Back to irritation!

Any suggestions again?

Thanks,

Manish

You're welcome, World.

Laz

any updates installed right before it went back to slow?

Hi Laz,

Me again. Seems am back to square one. After the fix worked fine for a week, and mails came in immediately, back to square one. I have gmail open with my google apps ID logged in, and Outlook also. I see 6 mails in Gmail and in our great Outlook, the Send/Receive is forever loading and not a single new mial comes in.

I close OUtlook, reopen, THEN the mails come in right away.

No changes of course have been made to the settings as I followed your post. I use the default WIndows Antivirus, as well as defender and settings are as is.

Back to irritation!

Any suggestions again?

Thanks,

Manish

This started happening to me again. For some reason when i pressed Work offline in the send and receive tab then deselected it 10 seconds later it started working properly again with emails being pushed... No idea why

There is apparently a bug (according to some imap users) where the send and receive process seems to hang. This could be happening to you and going offline stops the send /receives and fixes it, same as restarting outlook would fix it.

any updates installed right before it went back to slow?

My Microsoft Updates are set to Ask before updating. I am using Windows 8 64bit Professional that can pre installed on the laptop.

I have not seen any updates no.

The solution I tried as given my Laz, had worked initially, but by end of day, was back to same stuck, slow mails.

I have now removed Windows Firewall, and Defender and switched to my corporate Symantec Endpoint Protection. But no changes. In my Google Apps, RIGHT NOW, I have 8 new messages, and OL2013 is bust send/receiving, not ONE of those new messages have come in.

It is getting so frustrating, that when you buy such an expensive new product, people are reccomending downgrade to OL2007 etc. Just does not make sense. I might as well ask for a complete refund. When will a fix be available?

I SOMETIMES find I CLOSE Outlook, wait a bit, then restart, and Sometimes those pending mails come it. But is that a SOLUTION?? Restart Outlook 50 times a day??????

Please help.

Thanks

There is apparently a bug (according to some imap users) where the send and receive process seems to hang. This could be happening to you and going offline stops the send /receives and fixes it, same as restarting outlook would fix it.

I am trying to use an activesync account which i believe is different to iMAP? And it doesn't seem to be hanging it just doesn't initialize. Also I meant that when i go offline then online again, emails will be pushed properly for the rest of the day but then it stops working again a day later

My Microsoft Updates are set to Ask before updating. I am using Windows 8 64bit Professional that can pre installed on the laptop.

I have not seen any updates no.

The solution I tried as given my Laz, had worked initially, but by end of day, was back to same stuck, slow mails.

I have now removed Windows Firewall, and Defender and switched to my corporate Symantec Endpoint Protection. But no changes. In my Google Apps, RIGHT NOW, I have 8 new messages, and OL2013 is bust send/receiving, not ONE of those new messages have come in.

It is getting so frustrating, that when you buy such an expensive new product, people are reccomending downgrade to OL2007 etc. Just does not make sense. I might as well ask for a complete refund. When will a fix be available?

I SOMETIMES find I CLOSE Outlook, wait a bit, then restart, and Sometimes those pending mails come it. But is that a SOLUTION?? Restart Outlook 50 times a day??????

Please help.

Thanks

Yeh started happening to me again too. It is beyond frustrating - they really need to fix this...

Ok after another 3 hours trying to fix this, it seems to be working... for now... Will report back if it stops again but this is what i did:

1. Go to File --> info --> cleanup tools --> archive

2. Selected my account (not just inbox but the entire account folder)

3. Chose Archive this folder and all subfolders at the top

4. Archive items older than 1/6/12

5. Let it archive in the default location; press ok

Then when it had finished archiving (can see progress in bottom right of window where send/recieve progress usually is) i did this:

6. In the left pane i right clicked my account folder --> Data file properties --> advanced

7. Press compact now --> ok

8. Right click the archive account (should be under ur main account folder) and do the same

9. Send/receive and restart outlook

As i said this appears to be working for now but who knows if it will continue to play nice...

In your case, it's not AV - Scanning mail can cause problems... but Endpoint scans email, Microsoft's own offerings don't.

Do you have all office updates installed?

In all honesty, archiving should not be necessary. It's possible scanpst is a clue though - I'd definitely try that before archiving - or, in the case of imap and EAS accounts, delete the ost and let outlook recreate it. If you choose the delete ost route, make sure you exported the contents of the 'this computer.

In all honesty, archiving should not be necessary. It's possible scanpst is a clue though - I'd definitely try that before archiving - or, in the case of imap and EAS accounts, delete the ost and let outlook recreate it. If you choose the delete ost route, make sure you exported the contents of the 'this computer.

Is there any reason not to archive though? I tried scan pst and remaking the ost a few times and same result - worked for a day then broke. I have a feeling my latest "fix" will be no different. And i have all available updates but it occurred before i updated too.

EDIT: I should probably add too that i made my hotmail account in 2001 i think and have filed EVERY email i've ever recieved including newsletters junk etc. (OCD hehe) so the sheer quantity of data and items would be unfathomable considering i get 10-12 emails a day...

No, if you want to archive, you most certainly can. It removes mail from the server though, which may not be desired. That would be the only reason not to archive.

Status
Not open for further replies.