Images Disappear in Outlook 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtChick

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 64 bit
Email Account
IMAP
I have a recurring issue that I'm hoping someone can help with. I have my Outlook settings set to not block any HTML/images in the Trust Center. But I still have frequent trouble with images no longer displaying in messages. They will be fine for awhile and appear as they should, but then they stop appearing. Closing and restarting Outlook doesn't help at all. The only thing that does help is restarting my whole computer and then it's fine again...for a day or two. Then it does it again. I have Windows 7 and my computer is only a couple of months old. At first I used Windows Live because that is what came installed on the PC. That program was doing the same exact thing, so I purchased Outlook, thinking that WL was just buggy. But Outlook does it too and I have no idea how to fix it. Hoping someone here will have some ideas.

Do you connect through the interent through a proxy server where you need to enter a password to log on? That is one cause of the problem, but its less common because it only affects people who use a proxy server.

Do you connect through the interent through a proxy server where you need to enter a password to log on? That is one cause of the problem, but its less common because it only affects people who use a proxy server.

I don't use a proxy server, no.

When the problem happens in Outlook, do you lose internet connectivity in other programs? Outlook downloads the external content when you view the message. If the internet is offline or there are problems connecting to the server the images are on, outlook won't download them and may not tell you why. It stores the downloaded content in the TIF folders for a day or two but if you view the message later, it will need to re-download the external content.

What antivirus do you use? It could be interfering.

How old are the messages? If the sender removed the external content, outlook can't display it.

When the problem happens in Outlook, do you lose internet connectivity in other programs? Outlook downloads the external content when you view the message. If the internet is offline or there are problems connecting to the server the images are on, outlook won't download them and may not tell you why. It stores the downloaded content in the TIF folders for a day or two but if you view the message later, it will need to re-download the external content.

What antivirus do you use? It could be interfering.

How old are the messages? If the sender removed the external content, outlook can't display it.

I'm not losing Internet connetivity.

Up until a couple weeks ago I was using Norton. i thought it may be the problem so I uninstalled that. Now I use Webroot SecureAnywhere. It made no difference--same problem with either anti-virus.

It doesnt matter how old the messages are--same effect whether the messages are brand new or months old. And as i said, if i restart my computer, ALL the images show up again. So age of messages cantvreally be the cause.

Because the problem exists with Live Mail client too and is fixed on a restart, it's something on the computer. If not connectivity or the antivirus, it could be something with the Temp Internet Folder, but my logic says the fixes in the Red-x articles would have taken care of it.

Close Outlook and IE, go into Control panel, Internet Options and empty the caches (Delete... button on General tab). You can also check the size of the IE cache (Settings button next to Delete...). I'd reduce it to 50 - 100 MB. See if that helps.

Because the problem exists with Live Mail client too and is fixed on a restart, it's something on the computer. If not connectivity or the antivirus, it could be something with the Temp Internet Folder, but my logic says the fixes in the Red-x articles would have taken care of it.

Close Outlook and IE, go into Control panel, Internet Options and empty the caches (Delete... button on General tab). You can also check the size of the IE cache (Settings button next to Delete...). I'd reduce it to 50 - 100 MB. See if that helps.

I use Firefox, but regardless, I've cleaned out all my Temp files on more than one occasion and it doesn't help. I use CCleaner to clean out everything. It doesn't have an effect. :( I sure miss Outlook Express. I had that on my old PC (running XP). I never had email issues with that, or any major computer issues in general. W7 is a whole other story.

Firefox won't clean out the TIF files. :) Type shell:cache in the Start search field and press enter - there should be at least 3 or 4 folders, more if you show hidden files and folders.

How often do you use ccleaner? Any correlation between running it and the images disappearing?

Firefox won't clean out the TIF files. :) Type shell:cache in the Start search field and press enter - there should be at least 3 or 4 folders, more if you show hidden files and folders.

How often do you use ccleaner? Any correlation between running it and the images disappearing?

I use ccleaner every few days, but I don't notice any correlation. I get the issue whether I use ccleaner or not. But just to clarify, I never use FF to empty its cache. I only use ccleaner for that.

And I just did as you said to see what TIF I have at the moment. I changed my setting first to show hidden files. I have 3 folders in there. 2 are empty (Content.MSO and Content.Word), and one has one file that is 606 bytes ({97D4642C-5AC0-45B3-9FDF-399FD35D1503}). I'm not currently have an issue seeing my Outlook images. But that's just right now. It will change.

I believe I am experiencing the same issue. I noticed that the images I am missing have links (hrefs) on them. I did a test HTML email which I sent through an email vendor like icontact. I used an image map on some images (those showed up - no problem) and linked others through a hrefs. Those images did not show up.

Perhaps this is why sometimes you see images and sometimes you don't?

I do not have a solution for this is issue. If anyone does I'd love to hear it. I've gone through changing different settings in IE, Outlook, Word ... to no avail.

Thank you!

F1

I believe I am experiencing the same issue. I noticed that the images I am missing have links (hrefs) on them. I did a test HTML email which I sent through an email vendor like icontact. I used an image map on some images (those showed up - no problem) and linked others through a hrefs. Those images did not show up.

Perhaps this is why sometimes you see images and sometimes you don't?

I do not have a solution for this is issue. If anyone does I'd love to hear it. I've gone through changing different settings in IE, Outlook, Word ... to no avail.

Thank you!

F1

My solution was to switch to Mozilla's Thunderbird. Problem solved. Outlook was just an expensive mistake for me.. Wish I'd found Thunderbird first; it is free, so it would have saved me money, time, and a lot of stress!

Are the images being downloaded from the web server? Problems with the internet cache is one cause of images not displaying (assuming you are downloading blocked content). Outlook doesn't cache the images very long, so it has to go back to the interent to download them.

My solution was to switch to Mozilla's Thunderbird. Problem solved. Outlook was just an expensive mistake for me.. Wish I'd found Thunderbird first; it is free, so it would have saved me money, time, and a lot of stress!

You need to use the product that best meets *your* needs. If you only need email and news and don't need calendaring, sharing, extensibility, and other features in outlook, t-bird is a fine option.

Status
Not open for further replies.