Junk email filer stopped working in Outlook 2010 (32 bit) on a 64-bit Win 7 PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaybee

Outlook version
Outlook 2010 32 bit
Email Account
POP3
A week or so ago I noticed that junk mail (spam) was appearing in my Inbox. Right clicking on the item allowed me to select "Block Sender" but I discovered that it was not being added to the short list of Blocked Senders. I have the "options" setting on high. I also noticed that the Junk Email Folder in the navigation pane under Inbox no longer has the little red circle with a line through it. I can manually add addresses to the Blocked Sender List which seems to work. But junk mail continues to appear in the Inbox. All three accounts that feed into the Inbox are POP3. I've checked the junk setting on mail for each account and all are on High. I use Kaspersky Internet Security 2012, but it's spam filter is turned off. Windows Update was run yesterday (Tuesday).

Is there a way to re-enable the Junk Mail Filter?

Re: Junk email filer stopped working in Outlook 2010 (32 bit) on a 64-bit Win

Close Outlook and restart it using the resetfolders switch.

Close Outlook. Using the Start search field on Vista or Windows7 Start menu or press Windows key + R to open the Run command, type or paste the following

outlook.exe /resetfolders

Then press Enter (or OK button) to restart Outlook.

if that doesn't fix it, something (probably Kaspersky) is messing with it, even thought it's spam filter is off.

Thanks catherized for your suggestion. I tried using the reset folders switch which, unfortunately, did not solve the problem. I doubt that Kaspersky is involved as I made no settings changes to it when the problem first appeared and none since then.

I'd suggest testing it in Safe mode to rule of the AV software as a factor, but I don't think it will undo the weirdness so it problaby won't prove anything.

Next time you restart outlook, hold Ctrl as you click on the Outlook icon to start in Safe mode.

I usually start Outlook in the safe mode so that was a non-starter. It occurs to me to ask if a reinstall of Office 2010 might fix this or is the junk filter info related to this issue contained in the .pst file? Any other ideas?

The safe and blocked lists are stored as a hidden file in the data file. (Settings are in the registry. )

Generally speaking, reinstall doesn't fix most problems. I'm not sure if the problem is with program files or user files (that are not touched during a reinstall).

A new profile might fix it - or even just a new data file.

I was going to tell you to make a no mail profile and see if the icon was correct - but in double checking it with a no mail profile here, the Junk mail folder doesn't have an icon. If your email accounts works, maybe you need to try starting outlook in 'normal' mode instead of safe mode...

After doing some online research I tried using the "outlook.exe /resetfolders" switch for restarting Outlook. It did not bring back the Junk-Email icon with the red circle. While this isssue is not a major deal I want to try to make it right. My next attempt will be to start a new data file and transfer the existing email, rules, etc., to the new PST file. This assumes that the new data file shows up with the red cicle. I presume that I can export this data from the current data file and then import it into the new file.

You can either export or use move the items yourself. The only benefit to export is speed. Before you go to the trouble, test it with a new profile. That way you don't mess up your crrent profile if its not going to fix it.

Well I'm happy to report that creating a new data file (PST file) did the trick. The red circle with a line appeared on the Junk E-mail folder as soon as I changed the default data file. I've moved the mail, calendar, and contacts to the new PST file. It does seem, however, to have screwed up the email rules (turned them all red) and the autocomplete is "empty" as I am having to hand the complete address the the first use once again. These last two items are fixable.

Is the "standard" spot that a PST file should be placed under My Documents\Outlook or in users\jaybee\app data\local\microsoft\outlook?

You can put them anywhere you want. :)

The default for Outlook 2010 for POP3 and user-defined pst files is My Docs\Outlook files. Data files that don't need backed up (imap, hotmail, exchange server) are in the app data path, which is what Outlook 2007 and older used for all pst files.

Well I'm happy to report that creating a new data file (PST file) did the trick. The red circle with a line appeared on the Junk E-mail folder as soon as I changed the default data file. I've moved the mail, calendar, and contacts to the new PST file. It does seem, however, to have screwed up the email rules (turned them all red) and the autocomplete is "empty" as I am having to hand the complete address the the first use once again. These last two items are fixable.

The email rules need re-pointed when you make a new default pst file.

Autocomplete is saved in the default pst as a hidden file. Autocomplete is easy to fix - open a new message, click the To button, select all addresses in Contacts and Suggested Contacts then close the message without sending.

The autocomplete was indeed very easy to fix using your solution. Thanks very much Diane for your very knowlegeable support.

Status
Not open for further replies.