Slow to receive emails on Outlook 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT: I should probably add too that i made my hotmail account in 2001 i think and have filed EVERY email i've ever recieved including newsletters junk etc. (OCD hehe) so the sheer quantity of data and items would be unfathomable considering i get 10-12 emails a day...

My Hotmail folders aren't too bad, but for a period, the account was unused - i was unable to log in for a very long time (2 or more years) so they cleaned the mailbox out. My gmail account is packed full - i try to keep the junk deleted but I'm not always successful. I keep thinking i should just delete everything from like 20007 and older, mostly because i never use the old mail and wonder if its really worth keeping, even though i have virtually unlimited server space (I'm at about 25% of quota).

Hi Laz,

Me again. Seems am back to square one. After the fix worked fine for a week, and mails came in immediately, back to square one. I have gmail open with my google apps ID logged in, and Outlook also. I see 6 mails in Gmail and in our great Outlook, the Send/Receive is forever loading and not a single new mial comes in.

I close OUtlook, reopen, THEN the mails come in right away.

No changes of course have been made to the settings as I followed your post. I use the default WIndows Antivirus, as well as defender and settings are as is.

Back to irritation!

Any suggestions again?

Thanks,

I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM! I made the adjustments posted on earlier threads. My emails seemed to for fine for awhile, but now it's happening again. Very slow to receive emails. In fact, I really have to close Outlook then go back in, in order to receive new emails. This does not happen on my tablet or when I go into Go Daddy.

I loaded new updates 2 days ago. That didn't help

Has anyone figured out a solution to this problem yet? Please help!

This is a godaddy account? Do you know when the problem restarted? That can help determine if it might be due to updates (both windows and office have had a bad batch of updates).

This is a godaddy account? Do you know when the problem restarted? That can help determine if it might be due to updates (both windows and office have had a bad batch of updates).

I am also having this problem, exact same scenario. If I close Outlook and re-open, it updates my incoming mail every time; if I get a bunch of email it seems to update eventually as well. If I try to manually update it doesn't work . . . if I leave it alone and only have one outstanding incoming email it can take anywhere from 1 - 5 hours, again if I close it and reopen, It updates every immediately.

Did this just start, oh, within the last 2 weeks? The November updates made some changes to Outlook's IMAP support. If you don't have calendar and contacts in the 'this computer only' folders, close outlook and delete the imap data file from &localappdata%\Microsoft\outlook. Restart outlook and see if it works.

If you have appointments or contacts in the 'this computer only' folders, move or export them to folders in a pst file before deleting the imap data file.

I have been having this problem since I loaded 2013 onto my new computer in October 2013. I agree with the bad update issues as once I updated my computer, I lost all of the emails in my "in box". I do have appointments and contacts in the "This computer only" folder. What do you mean by the pst file? How di I know what file that is. Everything automatically loaded in the "This computer only" folder. Why does that folder even exist?

just curious to know if all the users who do do not receive mail into inbox in outlook 2013 are using wireless internet? i.e. on laptops?

just curious to know if all the users who do do not receive mail into inbox in outlook 2013 are using wireless internet? i.e. on laptops?

No, I am not using wireless internet. I am hard-wired. This is occurring on my office computer.

The 'this computer only' folders are for your calendar and contacts when you use IMAP account and don't want to use a pst file. See IMAP accounts in Outlook 2013 for more information. If you are using the 'this computer only' folders, you need to copy the contents to a pst for backup.

Try setting Inbox as the root folder for the account - this is in File, account Settings, double click on the account then More Settings, Advanced tab. See Outlook 2013 imap problems for more information.

Hi Laz,

Me again. Seems am back to square one. After the fix worked fine for a week, and mails came in immediately, back to square one. I have gmail open with my google apps ID logged in, and Outlook also. I see 6 mails in Gmail and in our great Outlook, the Send/Receive is forever loading and not a single new mial comes in.

I close OUtlook, reopen, THEN the mails come in right away.

No changes of course have been made to the settings as I followed your post. I use the default WIndows Antivirus, as well as defender and settings are as is.

Back to irritation!

Any suggestions again?

Thanks,

Manish

Hi,
I have been so frustrated with my email send/receive hang-ups in Outlook 2013!
After trying everything...EVERTHING, this is what worked for me...
I am using McAffee Security software. I needed to adjust the real time scanning settings and turn OFF "scan email attachments".
That was it.
So...I'm happy, that's the truth!

Thanks for the information. We don't recommend using email scanning features - Outlook will save attachments to the drive before opening, at which time the scanners pick up any problems.

My Microsoft Updates are set to Ask before updating. I am using Windows 8 64bit Professional that can pre installed on the laptop.

I have not seen any updates no.

The solution I tried as given my Laz, had worked initially, but by end of day, was back to same stuck, slow mails.

I have now removed Windows Firewall, and Defender and switched to my corporate Symantec Endpoint Protection. But no changes. In my Google Apps, RIGHT NOW, I have 8 new messages, and OL2013 is bust send/receiving, not ONE of those new messages have come in.

It is getting so frustrating, that when you buy such an expensive new product, people are reccomending downgrade to OL2007 etc. Just does not make sense. I might as well ask for a complete refund. When will a fix be available?

I SOMETIMES find I CLOSE Outlook, wait a bit, then restart, and Sometimes those pending mails come it. But is that a SOLUTION?? Restart Outlook 50 times a day??????

Please help.

Thanks
Downgrading to 2007 DEFINITELY doesn't work! Have you found a fix to this?

Has anyone found a fix to this that does not involve downgrading to earlier versions, replacing anti-virus software, etc...?

Is the account configured in Send and Receive settings? Does it ever receive mail in a timely manner? I know Outlook 2013 will tend to stop getting mail after the computer wakes up - its supposed to be fixed in RTM.
You made a statement that this was "supposed to be fixed in RTM." Any chance you could elaborate on exactly how to switch over to RTM from IMAP? (Assuming SWITCHING is what you were suggesting as a solution)...

RTM is the final version that is released to manufacturing following a beta.

What exactly is the problem? (this thread covers a few issues.)

Status
Not open for further replies.